Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jo Konta - the 'British' thing

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My biggest issue with Bedene, Konta and Rusedski is that their success just masks the incredible level of crass incompetence the LTA has for developing tennis players in this country.

They are by far and away the most feeble governing sports body in the country, despite some pretty stiff competition from the FA and swimming. They have not been responsible for a single successful tennis player in this country. Not one. Absolutely disgusting.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
And Denny Solomona, Ben Te'o and the Vunipola brothers playing Rugby for England isn't a joke?
As I know nothing about rugby - no idea. Are you mad because I didn't list all of the sports people who moved as adults?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just been having a look at the Aussie press today. Unsurprisingly Sydney Morning Herald headline: 'Born and bred Sydney-sider starring for Great Britain at Wimbledon'.

Somehow the fact they are pissed off makes it all a lot funnier.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Def not British but will cheer her on. Sports people changing nationality to suit there career is a joke and shouldnt be allowed. I would start by saying if you have represented your country at any level you cant play for another country. Cricket is the worst although may be acceptable for South Africans in the days they were banned from test cricket. Joyce of Sussex played for Ireland then England and could well now go back to playing for Ireland. Opening batsman Jennings is South African like so many that have oped to qualify for I think 2 years to play for England. Next we will see England picking Sussex play Archer which will be a joke. If I was West Indies I would pick him now
Havent got much time for top footballers but to there credit with very few exceptions stay loyal to country of birth. Travel all over world to play for very poor national sides.

nice to see you are up to date.Ed Joyce has been playing for Ireland for at least the last 3 years!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
My biggest issue with Bedene, Konta and Rusedski is that their success just masks the incredible level of crass incompetence the LTA has for developing tennis players in this country.

They are by far and away the most feeble governing sports body in the country, despite some pretty stiff competition from the FA and swimming. They have not been responsible for a single successful tennis player in this country. Not one. Absolutely disgusting.

Great point. I had a look at their last accounts the other day. They spend £19million a year on 'participation', and almost £30m a year on marketing, major events etc. As far as I can see they don't reach many/any young kids from non- middle class backgrounds with that money. If they spent it properly, you'd have a lot of boys choosing tennis over football. Instead, it goes on subsidising kids many of whom would be playing anyway.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
When Anne Keothavong and Elena Baltacha were British numbers one and two they didn't have a single drop of British blood between them but were fiercely patriotic and sounded very British (Scottish in Baltacha's case) so nobody ever questioned them.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Just been having a look at the Aussie press today. Unsurprisingly Sydney Morning Herald headline: 'Born and bred Sydney-sider starring for Great Britain at Wimbledon'.
Somehow the fact they are pissed off makes it all a lot funnier.

This post has just made me accept Jo as a true Brit. To hear of the whining Aussie press crying in to their piss tasting beer is music to my ears.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
When Anne Keothavong and Elena Baltacha were British numbers one and two they didn't have a single drop of British blood between them but were fiercely patriotic and sounded very British (Scottish in Baltacha's case) so nobody ever questioned them.

Probably because they never achieved anything in major tournaments and weren't splashed all over the papers.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Also, good pros that they were, neither got past 3rd round of Wimbledon so not really going to be the subject of such focus. Sad reminder about Baltacha though - what a tragedy that was,

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
She's a British citizen. Mo Farah was born in Somalia. He's a British Citizen too. See also Matt Prior, Andrew Strauss Kevin Pieterson, the Vunipolas etc, etc.

Aren't we encouraged to embrace our diversity and multiculturalism?

Or maybe the sun never sets on the British Empire.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
She speaks like an English women so mostly no Issues . This is why rusdeski and Lenox Lewis were never totally accepted .

Prefer her to murray the jock

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
She's a British citizen. Mo Farah was born in Somalia. He's a British Citizen too. See also Matt Prior, Andrew Strauss Kevin Pieterson, the Vunipolas etc, etc.

Aren't we encouraged to embrace our diversity and multiculturalism?

Or maybe the sun never sets on the British Empire.

That's a separate argument imho. It's not about being xenophobic, racist or whatever. Would you have taken it seriously if Alan Shearer had played for a few years in the Bundesliga, qualified as a German citizen and played for their national team rather than ours?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's a separate argument imho. It's not about being xenophobic, racist or whatever. Would you have taken it seriously if Alan Shearer had played for a few years in the Bundesliga, qualified as a German citizen and played for their national team rather than ours?

If he moved there as a teenager, and went to school there, why not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here