Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Neutral fans don't seem to fancy our chances. We seem to be favourites to come last.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ta.

Versus 13/10 for us. Crikey. I looked about 6 weeks back and from memory we were in a bunch with other clubs on similar odds.

I wonder what's changed? Cash flows from punters?
Of course it's based on cash flow from punters. A few million on Hudders, or Stoke, or Palace to go down, and a few million on us to finish 17th. or above - just watch those odds change!

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
What worries me is that we didn't have more signings lined up a few weeks back given our early promotion.

We are in dire need of a right back, left sided midfielder and IMHO 2 up top.

Without these we will certainly be favourites for the drop.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
What worries me is that we didn't have more signings lined up a few weeks back given our early promotion.

We are in dire need of a right back, left sided midfielder and IMHO 2 up top.

Without these we will certainly be favourites for the drop.

Yep agree, in danger of doing a Middlesbrough - minimal adding to the squad and immediate relegation

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Check out Steve Gibson's review in May. He spoke candidly about the heartbreaking season, highlighting a lack of pace and flair in their squad. The goals scored figure said it all. They blew most of a meagre £23m on De Roon, bringing in just a handful of players.

Hudd have already spent £36m and Newcastle £21m on Lejeune and Murphy, with time to go.

And on a much lower PL monies deal then, Stains spent £33m and Bournemouth £41m, in their first season.

I'm pretty confident we have the money there, we would have spent 8-10 million if the medical had been passed.

That would have been 20 odd million.

I think Huddersfield had to spend big just to get a decent starting 11 because of the loans.

I do think we will reach the 30 million mark by the close of the window.

Let's hope so and it all goes on strikers.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yea, who needs facts eh, they aren't interesting :lolol:

Took 6 points from us and won the league.

Also spent over 20m on bolstering their squad this season.

You seem to have some outstanding capability to marshall all the facts, whereas other posters don't have access to such pivotal information which, in turn, enables you to provide such enlightening contributions to this forum.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We do need some additional quality for sure. I really don't get the fixation some have on transfer fees though.

Our recruitment is 'behind Newcastle's because they spent £12m on Murphy'. Its bollocks. Murphy is nothing more than 'one for the future' for Newcastle. He'll barely get a game, and will probably go on loan to a Championship club in January.

I swear if we'd spent £15m on Josh Kerr instead of a fiver, some people would be happier.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anyone know if the Norwegian laddie is for the first team or the stiffs?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I reckon we missed all our targets , Abraham , Delaney , Mooy , Neto

Still have Gomez but reckon we had to start again which is why nothing happening.

Just a theory

casbom

Jul 24, 2007

Still have Gomez but reckon we had to start again which is why nothing happening.

Just a theory

A bit harsh to say we missed out on Neto, he failed the medical!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Just a theory

We missed out on Abraham due to a (fairly established) PL club offering a 'sweetener' that we weren't prepared to match on principle. Neither were Newcastle. I doubt he was anywhere near our main target and he still has alot to prove.

If you believe reports our interest in Mooy diminished, presumably because we envisaged better value elsewhere.

Delaney was an ambitious one, not so much because of the player's quality, but mainly because of the fact that he had only recently signed for Bremen and they have no reason to sell.

Neto was just one of those things, i'm sure everyone involved would have loved it to go through but luck was against us.

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
Yep agree, in danger of doing a Middlesbrough - minimal adding to the squad and immediate relegation

Didn't Middlesbrough sign like 13 players last season? 🤔

Their issue was much more to do with the style of play and reluctance to have more than 3 players in the opposition half at any one time.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

Just a theory

A theory that is absolutely 100% incorrect.
If you think that our recruitment network can only find 5 players who Hughton thinks are suitable then you would be shooting massively wide of the mark.

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
A theory that is absolutely 100% incorrect.
If you think that our recruitment network can only find 5 players who Hughton thinks are suitable then you would be shooting massively wide of the mark.

It's well documented that our scouting network tend to identify a cluster of targets per position (4-5 players of comparable ability). Of course there will still be a priority to those players, but the idea is that there will always be alternatives if a deal falls through. i.e. Neto.

Just remember - for the most part, our business under Hughton has been kept well under wraps. A lot of players have been at the training ground having a medical before news has broken.

So unless a club decides to publicly 'out' our interest, i.e. Suttner and Ingolstadt - there is likely to be a lot more going on behind the scenes than any of us realise.

Keep the faith - still a lot of the summer to go.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Didn't Middlesbrough sign like 13 players last season? ��

Their issue was much more to do with the style of play and reluctance to have more than 3 players in the opposition half at any one time.

No, it was 6, blowing most of the relatively small spend on De Roon.

Palace, Bournemouth and Stains bought far more players into their squads following promotion.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I know its the Daily Mail, but...................

Screenshot_20170720-170410.png

Genuinely not seen this mentioned before :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here