Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
People saying we need two strikers we don't. Just one quality one is enough

Looking at previous seasons, unless the defence is absolutely exceptional, we'll need about 40 goals to be in with a shout. 35 minimum even with a great defensive record. Given that even the very best Premier League strikers rarely get 20 goals, I think we're a fair way short when you tot up our likely scoring tally based on what we have. Last season we were helped hugely by Knockaert's great season. But how much of that will we see in games that we are not able to dominate as we could in the Championship? I'm optimistic there'll still be some sizeable signings in the next few weeks - can't see Tony Bloom allowing us to be a one season wonder. But if not I think it's going to be a long campaign....

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Looking at previous seasons, unless the defence is absolutely exceptional, we'll need about 40 goals to be in with a shout. 35 minimum even with a great defensive record. Given that even the very best Premier League strikers rarely get 20 goals, I think we're a fair way short when you tot up our likely scoring tally based on what we have. Last season we were helped hugely by Knockaert's great season. But how much of that will we see in games that we are not able to dominate as we could in the Championship? I'm optimistic there'll still be some sizeable signings in the next few weeks - can't see Tony Bloom allowing us to be a one season wonder. But if not I think it's going to be a long campaign....

Good points, need to get some quality in.....be huge shame and major key down to finally get into PL and get relegated without making much of an effort to stay up...look at Boro now, nearly spent 25 mill and they are in the championship! Money is there, need to actually push some deals over the line AND make PL offers for PL quality..

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Boro were on the market, but the deal collapsed!

Sources I have (I haven't got many)were that Gibson was never going to sell the club....maybe allow a stake to be bought....they certainly did sign a fair number of players..just maybe not the right quality..maybe because of the rumours or was it because they didn't have faith in Mr K..they certainly seem to be backing Mr M

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Zou Feddal (no I'm not kidding)!

Another La Liga player linked with the Albion!

Brighton & Hove Albion are considering a move for Alaves defender Zou Feddal. The Moroccan centre-back has a paltry £2.6m release clause in his contract and has attracted serious interests from a host of clubs.

The newly promoted club has been in the search of a defender in the transfer market for long and has recently signed Markus Suttner from German side Ingolstadt. But Chris Hughton has prioritised the signing of another defender as the Seagulls launch their Premier League campaign in a month’s time.

Feddal has an impressive height, standing at 6’3″ and would be perfectly suited for the physical battle in the Premier League. The defence has been solidified by the arrival of Suttner but the lack of an experienced defender in the side could be a hindrance next season for the :laugh:Championship side:laugh:.

Brighton’s chances are fading away gradually as Southampton have also stepped up their interest in the player. Feddal has been at the peak of his career at the Spanish club and present Southampton coach Mauricio Pellegrino was the main man behind his instrumental success.

http://the4thofficial.net/2017/07/b...tablished-la-liga-defender-right-man-hughton/

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
On the plus side, at least our end-of-season DVD will be in the shops in time for Christmas :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Skalak is real quality and a seasoned International. Norwood is already earmarked to go out if interest is shown.

Skalak's most significant attribute, his crossing and set plays, were increasingly nullified by the opposition last season. His lack of pace and strength exposed. He'll struggle against PL right backs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
People saying we need two strikers we don't. Just one quality one is enough

If Baldock wasn't so injury prone I'd agree but as he is I think we need two ideally. I'd settle for one of real quality though as Gross can apparently play there too. We don't seem to be splashing the cash so two may be stretching it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Izzy Brown AS WELL AS a proper Top Gun striker would be a decent recruitment effort up front.

The real question is whether we need another winger as well as those 2, as Brown is able to play out wide or as support striker.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Izzy Brown AS WELL AS a proper Top Gun striker would be a decent recruitment effort up front.

The real question is whether we need another winger as well as those 2, as Brown is able to play out wide or as support striker.

I guess that will heavily depend on the outcome of the scan on Knockaert's ankle.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Found this episode of Football Writers podcast interesting insight into the difficulties Premier League clubs are having in recruiting from European clubs this summer. It also gives context to the tricky job Andy Naylor has in keeping across transfers. Don't listen if you don't want to hear about the 'big six'. Brighton get a brief mention with reference to Dale Stephens last summer. .https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/football-writers-podcast/id1090909834?mt=2&i=389982900

FB24075B-5569-4293-BFE7-A0CC0F6E7CCC

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Skalak's most significant attribute, his crossing and set plays, were increasingly nullified by the opposition last season. His lack of pace and strength exposed. He'll struggle against PL right backs.

His set plays were mostly nullified by Knockaert taking and wasting/over hitting too many of them instead of leaving them to the better dead ball player.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
The bottom 3 last season were the bottom 3 in goals scored. Our front line isn't good enough. If we don't sign something useful in that department we're DOOOOMED.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
The bottom 3 last season were the bottom 3 in goals scored. Our front line isn't good enough. If we don't sign something useful in that department we're DOOOOMED.

But that's not the case in previous seasons - a good defence is still important.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I would honestly say our defence is better than the majority of the bottom 6 in the PL right now. We need to focus on the other end now.

Absolutely we've built our success on having a solid defence so I too would like to see a marquee signing in the forward line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here