Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Everton, City and Huddersfield aside no one has really made any signings - and they have had to pay massively over the odds for most of those.

English Clubs are being quoted unbelievable fees for players, even from the Championship - £20 million for Ben Gibson?

I can see most signings being down in the last week of the Window

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Everton, City and Huddersfield aside no one has really made any signings - and they have had to pay massively over the odds for most of those.

English Clubs are being quoted unbelievable fees for players, even from the Championship - £20 million for Ben Gibson?

Hate to be the one to say it but the fact that PL clubs with PL squads haven't made any signings yet is not abating my concern.

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
No, it was 6, blowing most of the relatively small spend on De Roon.

Palace, Bournemouth and Stains bought far more players into their squads following promotion.

Are you sure - I count 15.

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 19.14.23.png

Boro5707

Dec 21, 2015
Check out Steve Gibson's review in May. He spoke candidly about the heartbreaking season, highlighting a lack of pace and flair in their squad. The goals scored figure said it all. They blew most of a meagre £23m on De Roon, bringing in just a handful of players.

Hudd have already spent £36m and Newcastle £21m on Lejeune and Murphy, with time to go.

And on a much lower PL monies deal then, Stains spent £33m and Bournemouth £41m, in their first season.

Handful? We brought in 11 (2 loans) in the summer and another 3 in Jan.

Valdes, Guzan, barragan, Fabio, Espinosa, chambers, de roon, Fischer, Ramirez, traore, negredo

Bamford, guidioura and gestede

Sadly the jump is massive, a lot bigger than ever before. Top championship players like Clayton, friend and Ayala all struggled. Defensively we were fine, just had no attacking threat. Negredo was great, just isolated. Chambers was class, valdes, Fabio and de roon did ok. Only Gibson really made the step up from the championship. We go again and look forward to winning games again.

Last edited:

Boro5707

Dec 21, 2015

Gibson won't go for 20m, it looks like he is staying and will only go if someone pays closer to 30m. He has 4 years left on his contract.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Didn't Middlesbrough sign like 13 players last season? 🤔

Their issue was much more to do with the style of play and reluctance to have more than 3 players in the opposition half at any one time.

" like " 13 players? What were they players or like players.who wander around in football kits talking gangster? ..

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Or the Tottenham full back? Was it £40million?

Boro5707

Dec 21, 2015
Yes, Newcastle have enquired about traore but have been put off by the 20m valuation. If we don't need to sell and the players are happy why sell. If you are relegated I doubt you will let dunk go for 10m in the current climate. Footballs gone mad. We have just payed 30 odd million in the championship and brought in nearly 20m on our 3rd choice left back, 4th choice centre half, a winger who started about 8 games and a striker who was out on loan last year.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I see Naylor is trying to justify it this morning by saying City are also struggling to convert signings.

Guess the two ££££ full backs don't count then!

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/154...he_Premier_League_transfer_market/?ref=twtrec

With you on this. I think they would survive without anyone else on board, we on the other hand? Not sure why Naylor feels the need to defend the club with these type of articles. He then takes to Twitter to have a small pop at those with concerns. It can't be viewed as a successful summer's work yet and perhaps these are the questions he should ask rather than a puff piece like this. Moan over.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I think (unfortunately) you've hit the nail on the head here. The new Sky agreement has distorted the PL transfer market hugely and it seems that clubs looking for value had the beginning of the window to score some good deals but will have to wait to the last days/hours to find more cost effective fits.

In summary, I'm going to try to stop following this transfer nonsense until 30/08/17 when I'll jump back in. Hopefully we'll get our two loans prior to the City game but permanents will probably need to be last minute deals.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I think (unfortunately) you've hit the nail on the head here. The new Sky agreement has distorted the PL transfer market hugely and it seems that clubs looking for value had the beginning of the window to score some good deals but will have to wait to the last days/hours to find more cost effective fits.

In summary, I'm going to try to stop following this transfer nonsense until 30/08/17 when I'll jump back in. Hopefully we'll get our two loans prior to the City game but permanents will probably need to be last minute deals.

You could view this either way however. Whilst you could be right that players and agents might be more realistic it could go the other way in that clubs will know how desperate we are come the 31st and the price will reflect that need. Still in the sooner rather than later camp.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we can get the 'Top Striker' and the 'Main Midfielder' as soon as possible, then leaving everything else until deadline day is fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here