Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Well the encouraging thing for me is we must still be on our A choice of striker, since there have been no credible links to strikers other than Abraham and Brown who would both presumably have been cover.

Unless of course, we aren't actually interested in one :eek:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
This thread makes depressing reading. It seems some retain faith in the recruitment team whilst acknowledging that the playing field is difficult. You then have a vocal few who seem to be in full blown panic mode.
I think the reality is that we have been shocked and are unwilling to pay the over inflated fees/wages that many are asking. It seems like hyperinflation is well and truly thriving in football at the moment.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
we would also be potentially a winger down injured and possibly a striker. GK left replaced , Poc left replaced so added Gross.

All other teams have proven prem squads bar Hudds , Newcastle and us and they have both strengthened.

I'm not worried but as it stands we are in trouble.

Remind us how Newcastle have strengthened.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well the encouraging thing for me is we must still be on our A choice of striker, since there have been no credible links to strikers other than Abraham and Brown who would both presumably have been cover.

Unless of course, we aren't actually interested in one :eek:

Brown isn't a striker; he's an advanced midfield player.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Nonsense... we will survive if we make the right signings in a timely fashion... acquisition so far is well short of what is required... but do carry on living in cloud-cuckoo land if you so desire...

And [MENTION=33924]Nixonator[/MENTION]

I'm living in the real world cheers, the world where signing elite players is harder than on FIFA17.

Strikers are generally the last signings to happen as one transfer triggers a flurry of activity.

I'm sure we'll recruit sensibly in the right areas and I'm not worrying about the season ahead. Whatever happens comes the end of the season I'm determined to have enjoyed the ride - that's a far more pragmatic approach than throwing your toys out of the pram because we've not spent millions on new players, but suit yourself.

The entitlement on here is laughable sometimes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Remind us how Newcastle have strengthened.

They already have a much stronger squad than us don't they? Last season may suggest otherwise but when they raised their game against us the blew us away... twice. If both squads remain without additions ( which clearly won't happen) they will still have a better chance of survival than us imo.

In short, I'm not sure what your point is.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

I'm living in the real world cheers, the world where signing elite players is harder than on FIFA17.

Strikers are generally the last signings to happen as one transfer triggers a flurry of activity.

I'm sure we'll recruit sensibly in the right areas and I'm not worrying about the season ahead. Whatever happens comes the end of the season I'm determined to have enjoyed the ride - that's a far more pragmatic approach than throwing your toys out of the pram because we've not spent millions on new players, but suit yourself.

No toys out the pram here :shrug:

I simply said your statement of 'we could spend 100m and still get relegated' is a ridiculous one to have in a discussion about improving our squad. We could also spend nothing and win the league I suppose, it's just a bit unlikely.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I'm not panicking at all. I would be more worried if we had signed huge names for huge dough leaving precious little in the pot and potentially upsetting the team spirit we hold so dear. I have got faith in the back room boys who have put together a fantastic squad capable of surviving our first year in the PL. Yes, we have gaps that need filling and nobody is more aware of that than CH, TB etc. My guess is we may see a 'name' pop up but we are more likely to get a couple of canny euro signings that will boost the squad for the beginning of the season with enough sausages in the pot to make further additions.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
What like last season when we had Hemed, Murray and Baldock who are all top championship quality strikers?

EDIT: Actually on top of that we had Ulloa and Barnes as a partnership as well!

I don't think Hemed is anywhere near top championship quality and Baldock, whilst he made us a better team last season I think the jury is still out to claim he is top championship quality.

Not sure Barnes and Ulloa played that much together did they? I seem to remember they were always injured at different times but that may be my mind playing tricks.

I'm honestly not trying to have a go as our recruitment in general has been excellent over the last couple of years apart from up front where we have not been so successful

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Cool.

Please contact wiki and transfermarkt and get his stats changed ASAP for us! Out of 130 appearances he has played AM (advanced midfielder or attacking midfielder) 3 times out of 130.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/isaiah-brown/leistungsdaten/spieler/245805

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaiah_Brown

Think it's semantics really. Would imagine the other poster was defining his role behind the striker in Huddersfield's 4-2-3-1 as AM, whereas you have it as support striker. In reality it's the same position. I'm in camp AM though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
They already have a much stronger squad than us don't they? Last season may suggest otherwise but when they raised their game against us the blew us away... twice. If both squads remain without additions ( which clearly won't happen) they will still have a better chance of survival than us imo.

I was responding to a claim that Newcastle have strengthened, which was situated within a moan about us not having done so (which I disagree with). You seem to agree with the point that I was making that Newcastle haven't strengthened.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Think it's semantics really. Would imagine the other poster was defining his role behind the striker in Huddersfield's 4-2-3-1 as AM, whereas you have it as support striker. In reality it's the same position. I'm in camp AM though.

You = mind-reader (although it's not quite so difficult in my case)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but Hudds have already shown our club what can be done, providing you are realistic regarding market values... Tony and co just can't keep kidding themselves they can drive sellers prices down below admittedly inflated market values... put up, or shut up... we are PLR, in all but the most important area, our squad... but, hey, do carry on deluding yourself...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Agree with this.

That point was trying to make out that Newcastle are in an identical position to us at this moment, whether that be good or bad.

I think their squad was better to start off with. They under performed at times last season, whereas we got everything possible out of a small group of very good Championship players.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but Hudds have already shown our club what can be done, providing you are realistic regarding market values... Tony and co just can't keep kidding themselves they can drive sellers prices down below admittedly inflated market values... put up, or shut up... we are PLR, in all but the most important area, our squad... but, hey, do carry on deluding yourself...

True. Even the legendary wheeler dealer Levy at Spuds has to cough up, begrudgingly, last summer blowing £30m on Sissoko and £19m on Janssen.

Clubs have to spend big. The players, selling clubs and agents appear to hold all the aces.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Hudds have already shown our club what can be done,.

How do you know how good their signings are?

Tony and co just can't keep kidding themselves they can drive sellers prices down below admittedly inflated market values.

How do you know that's what they're doing?

... put up, or shut up... .

You don't work in negotiations do you.

we are PLR, in all but the most important area, our squad... but, hey, do carry on deluding yourself...

1 - The Premier League hasn't started yet.
2 - How do you know the squad won't do well in the prem?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here