Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Like he could have done ahead of announcing Neto is joining us, you mean?
Doesn't matter when.

It's ALWAYS negative and gloomy from Barber in the transfer window.

JUST ONCE, wouldn't it be refreshing to have a positive interview ?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Another upbeat Argus piece this morning with the now famous Baldock injury taking longer than expected line. This and no news on Knockheart has me worried. Now down to 2 strikers and missing our best player as it stands and Barber said yesterday on the radio nothing in for a few days at least.
I try to put it down to getting up early but I think I am officially very concerned. Not been a great summer so far.

You're not wrong . For all the excitement post Wigan I never thought we would have a summer like this . Been poor with what we have to face . The baldock thing not. Surprise , amplifies the need for 2 quality strikers .

We look in trouble big time as things stand .

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
You're not wrong . For all the excitement post Wigan I never thought we would have a summer like this . Been poor with what we have to face . The baldock thing not. Surprise , amplifies the need for 2 quality strikers .

We look in trouble big time as things stand .

I'm not worried in the slightest. Still plenty of time until the season starts (and after that). If the brazilian had passed his medical we would have had 4 players in by which compares very favourably with the rest of the league. Plenty of teams haven't signed anyone.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I'm not worried in the slightest. Still plenty of time until the season starts (and after that). If the brazilian had passed his medical we would have had 4 players in by which compares very favourably with the rest of the league. Plenty of teams haven't signed anyone.[/QUOTE]

Plenty of teams don't have to sign anyone to have a fighting chance of staying up..We do.. big difference!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I'm not worried in the slightest. Still plenty of time until the season starts (and after that). If the brazilian had passed his medical we would have had 4 players in by which compares very favourably with the rest of the league. Plenty of teams haven't signed anyone.
The other teams in the Prem have more settled Prem squads so will need less bolstering than we do so wouldn't expect them to sign as many

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm still assuming we are after two loans (in Gomez & Brown). Hopefully these should not be too hard to get over the line.

In which case, we've got 6 weeks to find the extra few permanent players we need (winger, striker & central midfielder). No reason to panic just yet but I will admit to a yearning for 'flair'!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Many don't need to, at least not to the levels we MUST

The other teams in the Prem have more settled Prem squads so will need less bolstering than we do so wouldn't expect them to sign as many

What he / she said

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm still assuming we are after two loans (in Gomez & Brown). Hopefully these should not be too hard to get over the line.

In which case, we've got 6 weeks to find the extra few permanent players we need (winger, striker & central midfielder). No reason to panic just yet but I will admit to a yearning for 'flair'!

I'm sure we will be fine, it's just part of the emotional roller coaster of supporting the Albion. I would like to see some movement though.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Skalak's most significant attribute, his crossing and set plays, were increasingly nullified by the opposition last season. His lack of pace and strength exposed. He'll struggle against PL right backs.

I tend to agree but let's see. David Beckham didn't have pace and I don't think Skalak is particularly weak, just goes to ground easily (like a lot of PL players). Didn't really get into his rhythm last season at all but his ability to provide a good cross might actually mean he's MORE important in the Premier League, where chances will be at a premium.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Spot on.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I'm officially worried now.

We were promoted early which should have given us time to get in early on our prefered targets so that they can integrate into the squad, however we have been slow out of the blocks and the silence is deafening.

Currently we will struggle big time with the lack of attacking quality in the squad for this level.

The Austrian and GroBs may turn out to be good signings but they are totally unproven at this level and may not acclimatise to Premiership football so not a given, I really hope we sign some proven Premiership players soon or at least try and pick up some of the top talent from the Championship.

Trying to keep the faith knowing we like to keep our business quiet but getting harder everyday and now influential players picking up injuries is making it even harder.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not worried in the slightest. Still plenty of time until the season starts (and after that). If the brazilian had passed his medical we would have had 4 players in by which compares very favourably with the rest of the league. Plenty of teams haven't signed anyone.[/QUOTE]

Plenty of teams don't have to sign anyone to have a fighting chance of staying up..We do.. big difference!

Thank you. The PL squads only needed to adjust their squads, whereas Hudd and Brighton both needed to make several significant signings of top flight quality.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
The Austrian and GroBs may turn out to be good signings but they are totally unproven at this level and may not acclimatise to Premiership football so not a given, I really hope we sign some proven Premiership players soon or at least try and pick up some of the top talent from the Championship.

Ooo! Ooh! I get to do one of these! :O

Why do you want us to sign rugby players?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Arnautovic £24m.

If that is the value for an average 7 goals per season PL striker (4 of those goals against M'Boro and Sunderland), then I'm out of the 'signing PL experience'...

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Thank you. The PL squads only needed to adjust their squads, whereas Hudd and Brighton both needed to make several significant signings of top flight quality.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't remember Bournemouth or Burnley doing that. If we signed 5 players in total that went in to the teams starting 11 I think that would be more than enough. At the moment we've done 3. One top quality striker and one top quality centre midfielder before the season starts and we would be looking much better. Then if we lose a couple of players maybe an additional winger and centre half after the season starts.

I'm still not panicking that's for sure.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Arnautovic £24m.

If that is the value for an average 7 goals per season PL striker (4 of those goals against M'Boro and Sunderland), then I'm out of the 'signing PL experience'...

This. There'll be players to be had as the transfer window moves on and agents, players and clubs get more realistic. In the meantime, we pursue the undervalued players from abroad that we can afford. If we have to spend big in a panic, may as well do that in August rather than straight away like Huddersfield.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Maybe, maybe not. I don't remember Bournemouth or Burnley doing that. If we signed 5 players in total that went in to the teams starting 11 I think that would be more than enough. At the moment we've done 3. One top quality striker and one top quality centre midfielder before the season starts and we would be looking much better. Then if we lose a couple of players maybe an additional winger and centre half after the season starts.

I'm still not panicking that's for sure.

The other clubs have been discussed before.

Bournemouth signed 11 players in their first PL season
Burnley 7 in their second PL season, adding to the dozen or so first teamers bought in the previous two years from PL money
Palace 18
Southampton 8

The blueprint to survive that crucial first PL season is there. Invest, and at the same time ensure that you have enough strikers of top flight quality to get the vital goals including cover for injuries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here