Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He's surprisingly still on a contract until 2019. So i guess, if anyone takes him, he'll be on loan to a Champ club again.
Also some talk of Arsenal mutually agreeing to end the contract.

Given how little interest he shows on the pitch I imagine he'll be reluctant to agree to end his contract :smile:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Yep. Agreed. And looks like we've been scouting a fair few given press coverage this summer.
Not sure how we set up on Friday 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 but looks like Gross played alongside Murray in the (first half) team CH put out on Friday. Strong sign that its his preferred strongest team (Ryan aside) currently available and with caveat that Baldock was unavailable.
Maenpaa; Bruno, Dunk, Duffy, Suttner; Knockaert, Stephens, Kayal, March; Gross; Murray

Towell filled that role in the 2nd half.

4411 in both halves.

The season before last I would have been extremely confident with Stephens & Kayal being our first choice CM partnership in the PL, but Kayal is struggling to return to previous form despite quite a few opportunities last season. There's a possibility he could be outmuscled as well and is generally a peripheral figure at set pieces. I think Hughton wants a CM with greater strength and an aerial presence which is evident from both Delaney and Neto.

That's the change I would say will definitively happen from the lineup you gave, new CM for Kayal.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
As always, no need to panic this early. Fees are being inflated to crazy money.

Isn't it right that prem teams have to announce a squad of 25? if so then there will be a fair amount of pretty good players who may need a move to have a more realistic chance of playing, and that is when fees & wages should become more realistic.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
4411 in both halves.

The season before last I would have been extremely confident with Stephens & Kayal being our first choice CM partnership in the PL, but Kayal is struggling to return to previous form despite quite a few opportunities last season. There's a possibility he could be outmuscled as well and is generally a peripheral figure at set pieces. I think Hughton wants a CM with greater strength and an aerial presence which is evident from both Delaney and Neto.

That's the change I would say will definitively happen from the lineup you gave, new CM for Kayal.

I agree. That's why I have this recurring fantasy that Rohan Ince may yet have a part to play. I know he doesn't really, but that's why it's a fantasy.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
As always, no need to panic this early. Fees are being inflated to crazy money.

Isn't it right that prem teams have to announce a squad of 25? if so then there will be a fair amount of pretty good players who may need a move to have a more realistic chance of playing, and that is when fees & wages should become more realistic.

I see it exactly as this also. The market will eventually have to bottom out. The fees at the moment are ridiculous. 30 million for Arnautovic 50 million for Ross Barkley. All that the extra millions from the TV deal serve is to give over inflated prices for players.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I see it exactly as this also. The market will eventually have to bottom out. The fees at the moment are ridiculous. 30 million for Arnautovic 50 million for Ross Barkley. All that the extra millions from the TV deal serve is to give over inflated prices for players.

I don't think it has any chance of bottoming out. Certainly not in this transfer window because there are a few deals part way through negotiations so any changes in fees are not going to affect us in this window. Also I don't see it ever changing because you look at every football forum and every transfer window there is so much anticipation and expectancy from fans for new arrivals to their team that I can only see transfer fees going one way and that is upwards

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think it has any chance of bottoming out. Certainly not in this transfer window because there are a few deals part way through negotiations so any changes in fees are not going to affect us in this window. Also I don't see it ever changing because you look at every football forum and every transfer window there is so much anticipation and expectancy from fans for new arrivals to their team that I can only see transfer fees going one way and that is upwards

This.

And there will be no relative bargains in late August. Selling clubs and greedy agents will know exactly what positions clubs are desparately trying to fill.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here