Page 34 of 59 FirstFirst ... 243132333435363744 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    1 week to go before my mild concern moves to real concern. Needs to be a good one.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Technocrat

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      This would mean that, alongside the obvious, we'd be able to offload Skalak and Hemed.
      It's debatable whether Skalak or Hemed will be useful at the top level, personally I'm going to wait and see before I pass judgement, but simply offloading the squad that got us promoted would be a very short sighted mistake.

If we get relegated this season, which is highly likely according to the odds, we'll need all of our players who were solid performers in the championship and committed to the club.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bra View Post
      Without trying to be wise after the event the last week has proved why, in my opinion, we should have been much further forward in our recruitment by now.
      With 3 weeks to go we still need recruitment in 3 key areas in cm, c.f. and wide player. Without these as others have said we will struggle to compete. Now we probably starting on the 4th choice cm after Moot, Delaney and Neto, it's very quiet on the striker front and Knockheart could be absent for a time.
      I confess to worry and this needs to be a decent week. For me I was never comfortable with the we have until 31st August mantra.
      I'm less worried than you are. The key issue is not when they arrive, but the quality. I've indicated what we need a few posts back. Of those, I only think we need one in before the season starts, but that is the striker. There are only three games in August, and if there is better quality and value to be found after the season starts, then that's what we'll have to accept.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
      It's debatable whether Skalak or Hemed will be useful at the top level, personally I'm going to wait and see before I pass judgement, but simply offloading the squad that got us promoted would be a very short sighted mistake.

If we get relegated this season, which is highly likely according to the odds, we'll need all of our players who were solid performers in the championship and committed to the club.
      I'm not advocating "simply offloading the squad that got us promoted". I'm advocating improving it in certain areas.
      Technocrat

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      I'm not advocating "simply offloading the squad that got us promoted". I'm advocating improving it in certain areas.
      You specifically said we could offload Skalak and Hemed.

Even if we do sign better players in those positions we wouldn't want to sell two internationals, because we'd only have to replace them as well.
      Broad Blue & White stripe perseus's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Team seems a little unbalanced to me, overly right-sided in defence and midfield and with inverted overly left footed wingers in attack is even more pronounced.

By no means a fatal flaw but if we are going to play 4-2-3-1 another defensive midfielder would be essential or useful depending on how rate our current reserves?

Stats will say our central midfield was goal shy and we should get one who out in with a double figure goal tally like Johansen and Cairney who are both left-sided and who would complain? .

This option may not be available so getting another defensive midfielder and giving the option for Dale Stephens to push forward would be be more sound defensively (unlike Fulham).

Brighton = blue
      Albion = white
      Hove = just a little gold necklace stripe
      Broad Blue & White stripe perseus's Avatar

0 Not allowed!

Even if we do sign better players in those positions we wouldn't want to sell two internationals, because we'd only have to replace them as well.
      We appear to have vacant position at second striker and any other new signings over 21 will mean replacements. The team selection against Dusseldorf says Lualua and Ince to go. For my mind Rohan Ince and Lualua have both shown more on the pitch than Skalįk so far. But we have seen many more games from the now old timers.

Lualua does not seem to be getting the opportunities to see what he can do under CH. Rohan Ince could still be useful thinking o his man-marking role in the second half against Sanchez and Arsenal. We would be swapping them for unknowns. Tomer Hemed is essential as I'm not sure Murray's legs are going to hold out and every match will be like an away match where for both Murray and Knockaert the goals were not prolific away from home.

Brighton = blue
      Albion = white
      Hove = just a little gold necklace stripe
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by perseus View Post
      We appear to have vacant position at second striker and any other new signings over 21 will mean replacements. The team selection against Dusseldorf says Lualua and Ince to go. For my mind Rohan Ince and Lualua have both shown more on the pitch than Skalįk so far. But we have seen many more games from the now old timers.

Lualua does not seem to be getting the opportunities to see what he can do under CH. Rohan Ince could still be useful thinking o his man-marking role in the second half against Sanchez and Arsenal. We would be swapping them for unknowns. Tomer Hemed is essential as I'm not sure Murray's legs are going to hold out and every match will be like an away match where for both Murray and Knockaert the goals were not prolific away from home.
      I have to disagree here about ince and lua lua. Neither were considered good enough for the squad last year in the championship. If they are in the squad this year something has gone wrong on recruitment.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by perseus View Post
      Baffling. So we are now going to utilise players in the PL from our Championship squad that were loaned out and deemed not good enough? That doesn't sound very likely.

0 Not allowed!

The club shouldn't remain static, holding onto every player involved in the promotion squad, out of loyalty, whilst still paying their very significant wages.

Winstanley & co might deem that Skalak and Norwood for example won't cut it at PL level, which will raise some time transfer income and cut wages, whilst at the same bringing in better equivalent players.

Football squads evolve with contracted players leaving every summer.