Page 30 of 57 FirstFirst ... 202728293031323340 ... LastLast
    Members

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Complete Badger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Goals are the key for a struggling team in the Premier League. We won't be keeping many clean sheets, no team in the bottom half does when you're up against quality attackers every week. So being able to hurt other teams is a must. Sadly I don't think there is a case to be made for any of our current strikers being capable of scoring more than a handful of goals in a Premier League season so we need to focus the budget on this area. We need at least two new strikers and one needs to have some form of track record of scoring goals at a good level. Anything less is just asking for trouble. Even signing one striker would be unacceptable as we need options. Plus you can't pin all your hopes on one man, find he is injured in the first month and then be relying on a 34 year old with minimal top flight experience/success to lead our attack. Even crap teams have good strikers - Watford have Deeney, Palace have Benteke, Swansea have Llorente, Bournemouth have Defoe, West Brom have Rondon etc. That's the level we need to reach. Anyone thinking Glenn Murray or Sam Baldock can do the job is sadly mistaken and we can't take a £120m gamble on them.
    Pretty much my thoughts entirely.

After the city game we have some pretty winnable games and we need to have our 15 goal a season striker in by then.
    Thanks Robbie - one day we'll name a stand after you.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      I think Point 1 is fair. If you get £120m a year then you don't need to be a genius to work out teams like Bournemouth have now had £360m since they went up, Burnley have had £240m and so on. So we will be at a disadvantage still and it is unrealistic to expect us to overhaul the squad so it is packed with Premier League players in one summer like other clubs have been able to do over a couple of years.

But what we surely can do is compete for a couple of big signings in key positions to strengthen the current squad and give us the best possible chance of staying up. There is still time of course, but I'm not seeing or hearing anything so far that suggests we are really serious about bringing in real quality.
      The obvious answer, at least to me, is the not fee itself but the salary required to land them.

I'm sure we are quite willing to throw 15M+ at a proven goalscorer but it doesn't stop there and we probably have a wage ceiling that will hinder us. No doubt strikers command the biggest salaries as well.

0 Not allowed!
      I think Point 1 is fair. If you get £120m a year then you don't need to be a genius to work out teams like Bournemouth have now had £360m since they went up, Burnley have had £240m and so on. So we will be at a disadvantage still and it is unrealistic to expect us to overhaul the squad so it is packed with Premier League players in one summer like other clubs have been able to do over a couple of years.
      I think that's a different possible reason. Yours is more a "we've banked profits over past season(s) so we can now speculate a bit more", although there is probably some of my "...but we're a bit more established now, so the risk of relegation (and financial meltdown) has lessened".
      Please buy from Amazon via this link. Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nixonator View Post
      The obvious answer, at least to me, is the not fee itself but the salary required to land them.

I'm sure we are quite willing to throw 15M+ at a proven goalscorer but it doesn't stop there and we probably have a wage ceiling that will hinder us. No doubt strikers command the biggest salaries as well.
      I reckon a £15m striker at a bottom half club would command a wage of about £50k to £60k per week, or £2.5m to £3m per year. As ridiculous as it sounds, that's not big money in the Premier League and every single team should be able to pay it. Aston Villa bought TWO strikers last year for similar fees in the Championship. And Huddersfield have just done it within weeks of being promoted. We need to do it not to guarantee survival, but just to give us a chance.

0 Not allowed!
      I don't mind if we're a yoyo club for a few years, but the competition for promotion just gets harder and harder every year, so there's no guarantee relegated teams will get back up. So IMO we really need to spend to give ourselves a chance of staying up.
      There's been an eruption

0 Not allowed!
      3 players all summer just to replace the outgoing
      Akpom (gross)
      Pogognoli (Suttner)
      stockdale(Ryan)
      So 4 weeks until the season starts and the squad hasn't been strengthened at all...worried?
      I'll let you know at the first international break, but it doesn't look good does it

Delaney a no go as is Renato now, options must be getting limited for that position as we must be now moving onto the third option
      Last edited by T soprano; 16-07-2017 at 23:20.
      BONA FORTUNA GABBIANOS

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by T soprano View Post
      3 players all summer just to replace the outgoing
      Akpom (gross)
      Pogognoli (Suttner)
      stockdale(Ryan)
      So 4 weeks until the season starts and the squad hasn't been strengthened at all...worried?
      I'll let you know at the first international break, but it doesn't look good does it
      All upgrades, or at least Hughton would see them as such, and it's his view that counts on that appraisal.
      Please buy from Amazon via this link. Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      All upgrades, or at least Hughton would see them as such, and it's his view that counts on that appraisal.
      As I said...worried? See when the transfer window shuts
      Gross for Akpom an improvement but the squad(size) still not strengthened
      Panicking ? Not yet, but concerned
      But whatever happens just gonna enjoy every moment, waited long enough for it
      BONA FORTUNA GABBIANOS
      SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN

0 Not allowed!
      Time to panic will be 1st February 2018,but only if we have no chance of survival in the premier league,with all the issues we have gone through,we should not panic one iota,we should rejoice on how far we have come,and how lucky we are to be here.
      Enjoy our time in the premier league,for however long or short it is.
      excuse my spelling and grammer i was educated at Hove Park.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by T soprano View Post
      As I said...worried? See when the transfer window shuts
      Gross for Akpom an improvement but the squad(size) still not strengthened
      Panicking ? Not yet, but concerned
      But whatever happens just gonna enjoy every moment, waited long enough for it
      CH will go into this season's PL with the best squad he has ever had up there once he has assembled the missing pieces. Most certainly the best defence he has ever had and he has always held his own when up there. I have no doubt it will be difficult be he knows how to pick up enough points to survive