Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It doesn't matter...if we don't sign anyone else we have a good enough squad seemly.

Let's save the money and stick it in the bank!

Joking aside I'd be hard pushed to complain if TB decided he'd like more payback than spend this season :shrug:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I agree with you to the extent that the aim was achieved but Hughton lost the dressing room after the Wigan game, I'm just saying it was a bit of a worry how we didn't see it out, tougher situations are on the horizon..

Yes, and in tougher situations the players won't have achieved their aims and effectively have lost focus. To say Hughton lost the dressing room is ridiculous because that's what clubs say when they sack a manager. The players lost a bit of focus. The Norwich game was always going to be a defeat (although it took two very unfortunate own goals and being denied a blatant penalty just before their second for Norwich to win). Bristol City had more to play for than we did and Villa we were very close to winning (albeit a bit luckily and thanks to some great saves by Stockdale) before a late error.

You cannot compare it to tough situations where we might need to win a couple of games to stay up as that would be our only goal and it will be total focus on that.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Joking aside I'd be hard pushed to complain if TB decided he'd like more payback than spend this season :shrug:

I think you would be the only one...every social media thing I read is demanding that we spend hundreds of millions on players I have certainly never heard of.

Town seem to have taken the view to buy players in specific positions and get them in quick to blend in to the squad...we have never really done that preferring to bring in players either as loans or players that we have never heard of...Kayla, hemed, jiri etc.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Yes, and in tougher situations the players won't have achieved their aims and effectively have lost focus. To say Hughton lost the dressing room is ridiculous because that's what clubs say when they sack a manager. The players lost a bit of focus. The Norwich game was always going to be a defeat (although it took two very unfortunate own goals and being denied a blatant penalty just before their second for Norwich to win). Bristol City had more to play for than we did and Villa we were very close to winning (albeit a bit luckily and thanks to some great saves by Stockdale) before a late error.

You cannot compare it to tough situations where we might need to win a couple of games to stay up as that would be our only goal and it will be total focus on that.

We will have to agree to disagree, the tough situation at the time was winning the title and we failed through lack of professionalism and self discipline.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
At Villa we were 60 seconds away from winning the Championship, then a goalkeeping howler cost us dear. To extrapolate that to claim mental fragility is silly.

And we got rid of the player responsible for that...

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Am I the only one who's not in the least bit nervous and just enjoying my summer?!

Me too!

240_F_126748477_aWB0FpgtzFXJewOf1bN9PeuEw2ezBcUb.jpg

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If the tv income is £100 million and the final wage bill £45 million, after we deduct the £9 million spent so far, then we have up to around £45 million available for fees.

£15 million striker
£15 million central mid
£10 million winger

£5 million rest.

Then the other revenue meets all other costs.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Ouch what a bitter response.

In all honestly Brightons best players next season will be the ones that got you promoted. Thats how we survived the supposed relegation that was guranteed and Watford the same.

I wouldn't worry too much about transfers at this stage as you never get good value when you first come up.

I agree with this. Don't you think those who got us up deserve the chance they created. Yes we need reinforcing but within reason, lets just go with the flow & support our team whoever wears the shirt because I certainly do not want players in who are mercenaries but do want players in who want to play for a club who are growing and players who are ready to grow with us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think you would be the only one...every social media thing I read is demanding that we spend hundreds of millions on players I have certainly never heard of.

Town seem to have taken the view to buy players in specific positions and get them in quick to blend in to the squad...we have never really done that preferring to bring in players either as loans or players that we have never heard of...Kayla, hemed, jiri etc.

The general view on here is that we are biding our time to buy much better players than Huddersfield have signed. Be interesting to see if this happens.....

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
We will have to agree to disagree, the tough situation at the time was winning the title and we failed through lack of professionalism and self discipline.
But winning the title wasn't a tough situation imo - it was the icing on the cake more than anything, a luxury on top of the main focus of the season.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
At Villa we were 60 seconds away from winning the Championship, then a goalkeeping howler cost us dear. To extrapolate that to claim mental fragility is silly.

Get a grip man Villa wasn't the only game we had the chance to secure those illusive 3 points was it? :shrug:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Get a grip man Villa wasn't the only game we had the chance to secure those illusive 3 points was it? :shrug:

Nope.

Norwich 2 OG's from Stockdale
Bristol City bad day at office
Villa Stockdale error cost us.

WTF is illusive?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Err Huddersfield had a load of loan players and don't need to blend in, as they've already played there. They've also had to spend £40M doing so.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If the tv income is £100 million and the final wage bill £45 million, after we deduct the £9 million spent so far, then we have up to around £45 million available for fees.

£15 million striker
£15 million central mid
£10 million winger

£5 million rest.

Then the other revenue meets all other costs.

A couple of things

(1) Median wage bill in the EPL in 2015/16, which is BEFORE the latest TV deal kicked in, was £83 million, not £45m. So median wage bill likely to be pushing £100m next season.
(2) Player costs are spread over life of the contract, not taken as a single year hit.
(3) TV income is £100 million, if avoid relegation £108m, and roughly increases by £2m for every further position up the table

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
when do you think we should go full Lance-Corporal Jack Jones about the lack of transfers if no more are forthcoming?

When the Panini Sticker album comes out and we only have to collect Chris Hughton, The Amex and a shiny badge.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I will start worrying towards the end of August when Burnley's slightly improved offer for Dunk and Stephens is accepted, and they follow Knocky, Baldock, March and Bruno out of the door.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I certainly do not want players in who are mercenaries but do want players in who want to play for a club who are growing and players who are ready to grow with us.

I think this is a very "Championship" way of looking at a squad. Almost every player who signs for a Prem club is a mercenary. Statistically, it is more likely than not if you sign for a lower half Prem team the manager will be gone within the year, and most before Christmas.

The money means everybody's jobs are on the line, and a 'gun for hire' striker on massive wages who can get you 10 goals in the second half of the season can be the difference between survival and relegation. Nobody remembers who was playing upfront for Sunderland before Jermain Defoe arrived.

Bozza's squad poll shows that of 300-odd respondents there are clearly 5 players in the present squad of 24 who NSC thinks are not up to it. All 5 have helped get the Albion where they are today, but they must be cut and upgraded nonetheless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here