Page 36 of 59 FirstFirst ... 263334353637383946 ... LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People saying we need two strikers we don't. Just one quality one is enough
    I'm one of those people.

I think Hughton will only play one upfront this time, and that neither GM, TH or SB will score enough in that lone role as starters to keep us up. So he needs to be a new, younger, fast striker. Should he get injured or banned, we would be back to square one and in serious trouble. Hence the need for a second quality striker.

I understand that's extravagant, but that's what surviving PL clubs do. They have top flight quality cover.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Technocrat

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      I said that we could offload those two if we buy seven new players which would mean that they've already been replaced. Feel free to debate with what I have said.
      From your comments to me, your position seems to be that we can survive in the PL with the squad that got us promoted. I think that's wrong.
      That's not my position, I said earlier in the thread that we need to add quality. We'll be relegated if we start the season with what we've currently got.

I just don't understand the talk of getting rid of players when we're struggling to make signings as it is. I see what you mean about the 7 players, I hadn't considered that in my original reply. Fair play if they can go out and sign nearly a whole team that's better than what we currently have, but I don't think that's realistic given how things have gone up to this point.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
      That's not my position, I said earlier in the thread that we need to add quality. We'll be relegated if we start the season with what we've currently got.

I just don't understand the talk of getting rid of players when we're struggling to make signings as it is. I see what you mean about the 7 players, I hadn't considered that in my original reply. Fair play if they can go out and sign nearly a whole team that's better than what we currently have, but I don't think that's realistic given how things have gone up to this point.
      I don't think anyone would advocate selling Norwood and Skalak for example, until better replacements are signed up.

Sales might occur very late on 1 September. We've all seen live footage of roving Sky reporters standing outside training grounds such as Stoke or Villa on the fateful evening, with Burberry capped feral youth as a backdrop, as Bentley's and Range Rover's whizz past, with last minute signings on board.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post

On that, I suspect you're right. It may well be that we have to regroup in January, and then we'll need to find superior replacements for Hemed and Skalak. I really like Hemed, and he's done wonders for us in two seasons, and is a solid pro, and good team player that's good to have around the squad. My reasoning is that:
      -- for most of the season, I suspect we'll play just one up-front
      -- he's quite similar to Murray, and Murray will play when that type of forward is required
      -- and, as a consequence, he won't get much game time, which is not fair on him.
      Skalak has also been great for us but, even in the Championship, he showed himself to have a rather limited repertoire to his game although what he could do, he did very well. Again, I just can't see him getting much game time.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
      What about in La Liga ? Another top league and he failed miserably at Real Betis. It seems he is only capable of doing ok in the Dutch mickey mouse league. Awful player who can't cut it at the best leagues.
      You sort of need to play a system which suits Rick so it really depends on the team he plays in. If you play a system playing weighted balls over the top for him to chase on to him, that's his sort of game. You could see he had potential but his physical stature wasn't strong enough to play the way Norwich played.

He scored a lot of goals in Portugal as well as Holland I think. I don't say he is a superstar but he is a decent striker/footballer
      The ONLY Gay in Brighton El Presidente's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LamieRobertson View Post
      I'd agree with the overall gist of your post but bro up for sale? Not sure about that one and they did bring in a fair number of players July/Aug last year..not so sure about there quality though
      Boro were on the market, but the deal collapsed!
      Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      What also surprises me a bit is the development squad? As well as the new signings for the first team, I was expecting a significant upgrade in young promising players coming in from the lower leagues. It's tough getting the right men for the front side and that will not change and obviously you would hope that is the main focus and that we hear some good news soon. But why are not we not addressing the weakenesses of our back up squad? Performances at that level have been less than stellar really and the academy is presumably still a few years from producing much.

Surely our best chance of doing anything long term, depends on buying the right young players before the big boys get in there? Not just in trying to pluck gems from 'lesser' leagues which appears to be our strategy currently. It's not the end of the world as such, but I would've liked to have seen 3 or 4 young lads of potential come in. Thus far it's just the lad from Celtic and that seems a wasted opportunity to me.

We surely have enough resources to do that, but there seems to be little or no focus on that currently. Time will tell I guess but you would've thought that buying from league's 1/2 or whatever would be reasonably straightforward?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      I'm one of those people.

I think Hughton will only play one upfront this time, and that neither GM, TH or SB will score enough in that lone role as starters to keep us up. So he needs to be a new, younger, fast striker. Should he get injured or banned, we would be back to square one and in serious trouble. Hence the need for a second quality striker.

I understand that's extravagant, but that's what surviving PL clubs do. They have top flight quality cover.
      Completely this. Especially when you consider Murray probably only has one (max two) seasons left in him at this level, Hemed isn't good enough in my opinion and whilst Baldocks performances and all round contributions were excellent last season we don't know what he can do at the top level.

Two quality strikers is 100% needed whether we play one up top or two

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Seasidesage View Post
      What also surprises me a bit is the development squad? As well as the new signings for the first team, I was expecting a significant upgrade in young promising players coming in from the lower leagues. It's tough getting the right men for the front side and that will not change and obviously you would hope that is the main focus and that we hear some good news soon. But why are not we not addressing the weakenesses of our back up squad? Performances at that level have been less than stellar really and the academy is presumably still a few years from producing much.

Surely our best chance of doing anything long term, depends on buying the right young players before the big boys get in there? Not just in trying to pluck gems from 'lesser' leagues which appears to be our strategy currently. It's not the end of the world as such, but I would've liked to have seen 3 or 4 young lads of potential come in. Thus far it's just the lad from Celtic and that seems a wasted opportunity to me.

We surely have enough resources to do that, but there seems to be little or no focus on that currently. Time will tell I guess but you would've thought that buying from league's 1/2 or whatever would be reasonably straightforward?
      Or Norway: http://www.northstandchat.com/showth...athias-Normann

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Complete Badger View Post
      Goals are the key for a struggling team in the Premier League. We won't be keeping many clean sheets, no team in the bottom half does when you're up against quality attackers every week. So being able to hurt other teams is a must. Sadly I don't think there is a case to be made for any of our current strikers being capable of scoring more than a handful of goals in a Premier League season so we need to focus the budget on this area. We need at least two new strikers and one needs to have some form of track record of scoring goals at a good level. Anything less is just asking for trouble. Even signing one striker would be unacceptable as we need options. Plus you can't pin all your hopes on one man, find he is injured in the first month and then be relying on a 34 year old with minimal top flight experience/success to lead our attack. Even crap teams have good strikers - Watford have Deeney, Palace have Benteke, Swansea have Llorente, Bournemouth have Defoe, West Brom have Rondon etc. That's the level we need to reach. Anyone thinking Glenn Murray or Sam Baldock can do the job is sadly mistaken and we can't take a £120m gamble on them.
      This post hits the proverbial nail on the head. Top flight quality strikers (plural) will give us a good chance of staying up.