Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 212829303132333441 ... LastLast
    The ONLY Gay in Brighton El Presidente's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree with much of this.

I'd be really interested to hear from @El Presidente about if there is any good reason why some of these other 'lesser' Premier League clubs are able to spend what appears to be eye-watering sums of money if we can't or won't. Is it any/all of...

1. They've been in the PL for a few seasons now, so feel more assured in splashing the cash as relegation feels like less of an imminent threat.
    2. They have uber-rich owners who are able to top up TV money with their own tens of millions of pounds (I've lost track of what, if anything, exist of FFP type stuff in the PL).
    3. We're just being a bit cautious (based on estimates of spend thus far).
    Spending to date is certainly modest, but we are still early into the window and there's a lot of jockeying taking place as players and agents are at this stage in strong negotiating positions.

Compared to spending in previous seasons for promoted clubs we are some way behind, although it could be argued that Stephens and Baldock signing new deals has saved the club £15m in transfer fees.

This is the average spend by promoted clubs in last few years on signings.

In 2015 both Watford (£64m) and Plucky Little Bournemouth (£69m) spent a lot and stayed up. Norwich spent only £35m and were relegated.

Last season both Hull and Boro were up for sale having been promoted, their chairmen were therefore reluctant to sanction the cheque book being used and both went down again.

We only need 2-3 signings IMO, Abraham was on the list and we lucked out, Delaney and Neto have both got to third base but no further.

The defence looks solid apart from needing one more full back, midfield needs one more and a striker.

TB hasn't spent £300m getting us here for a 9 month stay, so there will be more arrivals.

In relation to your specific points.

1: Yes clubs have been in receipt of large sums but have spent a lot on wages and fees. Having said that finances are way superior to the Championship.

2: Two types of FFP in EPL. (a) Losses limited to £105m over three years, and (b) A form of wage control called STCC that restricts increasing the wage bill by more than £7m + increases in commercial & matchday income + gains on player sales.

3: CH is very cautious, he won't want another Ricky Van Wolfswinkel on his hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      If it makes you feel any better (doubt it will) all the good feeling of promotion at NUFC has gone. Rumours that Rafa will walk every week as we continue to miss out on targets and make derisory offers for players. We clearly don't have money to spend. Piss poor.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
      (b) A form of wage control called STCC that restricts increasing the wage bill by more than £7m + increases in commercial & matchday income + gains on player sales.
      Wait, so we cannot increase our wage bill from last season by more than £146k a week?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nixonator View Post
      Wait, so we cannot increase our wage bill from last season by more than £146k a week?
      Sorry me bad. Promoted clubs are allowed to spend £74m plus their increased commercial and matchday income.

If you're an existing PL club the £7m rule applies.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
      Sorry me bad. Promoted clubs are allowed to spend £74m plus their increased commercial and matchday income.

If you're an existing PL club the £7m rule applies.

Average of 60k a week per player in a 25 man squad then. So if our wage bill matches/exceeds the 74M we cannot increase it by more than 7M a year?

What if our wage bill is substantially less than that?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by durrington gull View Post
      We need 2 new strikers otherwise we're really going to struggle
      Agree. We haven't got the firepower to survive. I'd be worried if we don't bring in 2 strikers.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion my Albion View Post
      If Knock is truly injured for several weeks than that would be grounds for panicking
      Name:  Panicking.png
Views: 403
Size:  207.7 KB

BHAFC without 2 additional quality strikers is going down.....................Aaaaa aaaahhhhhhhhhhhkkkkkk!
      Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow.

---- L. Ron Hubbard

0 Not allowed!
      I'm panicking. Pre season is well underway and we are not strong enough. Even with a few signings we face an uphill battle from here.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Still time , certainly would want to see bit of action this week.

We gained one last week but possibly lost our best player for the start so are weaker .

You have to say it hasn't gone how we expected and isn't ideal .

3 weeks Saturday / 26 days .

Got to be heavy action this week .

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nixonator View Post

What if our wage bill is substantially less than that?
      The rules don't apply from what I can see, but will have to check the small print. Even a small club such as Crystal Palace had a wage bill exceeding £80m in 2015/16, and that's before Benteke and Fat Sam joined the party.