Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We should be ok with what we have for the first 3 or 4 games so the season will start before transfer business finishes. Any players carrying injuries at the end of last season should be well over them so I expect a fully fit squad for the start.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
If Palace, Bournemouth, Stains and Burnley have acquired PL quality left backs who can do a decent job in most instances, then so can we.

Would you want us to spend 14m or whatever it was on Van Aanholt? And do you think Stephen Ward done a decent job against all the players you mentioned? Southampton bought Bertrand from Chelsea for a large fee. I can't say I want us spending anywhere near that sort of money on a full back.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The general view on here is that we are biding our time to buy much better players than Huddersfield have signed. Be interesting to see if this happens.....

Yes but people on here thought Huddersfield were lucky against us...so to be fair sometime we seem as blinkered as MASSIVE fans. I love it how people have passed judgement on Wagner and his signings without even knowing who they are or based on what FIFA17 says.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Yes but people on here thought Huddersfield were lucky against us...so to be fair sometime we seem as blinkered as MASSIVE fans. I love it how people have passed judgement on Wagner and his signings without even knowing who they are or based on what FIFA17 says.

But, but they have spent 40 MILLION just to catch up, haven't they??!! ???

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Personally I have zero expectations for this season, and consequently this summer. I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

Plus, you know, we've already signed two players who you'd imagine will be first team regulars.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Wishing thinking hoping that Wagner and his recruitment team have got it all so wrong.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Would you want us to spend 14m or whatever it was on Van Aanholt? And do you think Stephen Ward done a decent job against all the players you mentioned? Southampton bought Bertrand from Chelsea for a large fee. I can't say I want us spending anywhere near that sort of money on a full back.

Van Aanholt is a very good player in fairness, and would walk into our side. Bertrand the same.

And £14m... that's pocket change in the Prem these days.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Van Aanholt is a very good player in fairness, and would walk into our side. Bertrand the same.

And £14m... that's pocket change in the Prem these days.

It is for an established premier league team which we are not. Even then I don't think that's usual. How many teams have spent that much on a full back? If you think we are going to spend 14m on a left back you are living in fantasy land.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's all about value and we're good value to go down I'd say! Albion have never been quick in the transfer market generally regardless of division. I thought promotion to Premier would somehow mean things were different but arguably it's harder than ever because everyone thinks you'll pay silly money now we've joined the have's as opposed to the have nots. I bet even Sodexo will want ten grand a box of burgers. But we're in a class of our own, the nearly have's!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's all about value and we're good value to go down I'd say! Albion have never been quick in the transfer market generally regardless of division. I thought promotion to Premier would somehow mean things were different but arguably it's harder than ever because everyone thinks you'll pay silly money now we've joined the have's as opposed to the have nots. I bet even Sodexo will want ten grand a box of burgers. But we're in a class of our own, the nearly have's!

Even though we had head start of many many weeks over all the competition, knowing we were up at Easter. Contracts aren't signed then but behind the scenes work with agents, scouts and targets could start with certainty.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I'm confused, why wouldn't he? Other than because of injury, when has Rosenior ever been preferred to Bong at LB since both have been at the club?

If fit and we have no other left backs. Bong will defo start. I can't see why Hughton would change his mind and start Rosenior when he didnt last season. When Bong was fit he came back in to the side.

If there is one position that Hughton knows, it's left side full back.

Ok, we'll see how it goes if we don't sign a LB.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Even though we had head start of many many weeks over all the competition, knowing we were up at Easter. Contracts aren't signed then but behind the scenes work with agents, scouts and targets could start with certainty.

It's a sellers market football, everyone waiting for a better offer that may or may not come and at this level players aren't exactly in a hurry, they're already set for life being a pro before moving clubs!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'll panic when I see Messrs Bloom, Barber and Hughton starting to panic, until then I'll trust what they are doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here