Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Not panicking (not cpmplacent either).

Some who are yelling for a GK, CB, LB and RB, CM and AM, three strikers, etc, are way off the mark. I might even consider a mild use of the word, 'idiot'.

We need to improve our squad (and I trust that we have) but I for one don't want to see the whole f***ing wonderful team that got us up replaced by a load of incomers. Improve, yes - chuck the whole lot out and start again - no. I want to see a decent number of last season's team having a go at the PL. At Christmas we might have a better idea of who might need to be shipped out and replaced - but decimating the entire squad now? No - go and do one!

This.

The team that has performed so brilliantly for us for two years deserve their go in the PL.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not panicking (not cpmplacent either).

Some who are yelling for a GK, CB, LB and RB, CM and AM, three strikers, etc, are way off the mark. I might even consider a mild use of the word, 'idiot'.

We need to improve our squad (and I trust that we have) but I for one don't want to see the whole f***ing wonderful team that got us up replaced by a load of incomers. Improve, yes - chuck the whole lot out and start again - no. I want to see a decent number of last season's team having a go at the PL. At Christmas we might have a better idea of who might need to be shipped out and replaced - but decimating the entire squad now? No - go and do one!

Think you have exaggerated what people have been calling for there.

People have been suggesting plugging the gaps in our squad (you know, currently occupied by the players that weren't even considered good enough in a Championship campaign) with actual competition for our first team, perhaps even 'upgrades', so long as they perform like upgrades.

If we were to leave things as they are, we would be one short of a squad quota even with Ince, Towell and LuaLua in it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Think you have exaggerated what people have been calling for there.

People have been suggesting plugging the gaps in our squad (you know, currently occupied by the players that weren't even considered good enough in a Championship campaign) with actual competition for our first team, perhaps even 'upgrades', so long as they perform like upgrades.

If we were to leave things as they are, we would be one short of a squad quota even with Ince, Towell and LuaLua in it.

Indeed. I think, in general, all a lot of people would like now are :

- replacements for the departed Ankergren, Akpom and Tomori,

- upgrades for Ince and LuaLua,

- perhaps a different positional replacement for Norwood.

Not exactly wholesale changes.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Indeed. I think, in general, all a lot of people would like now are :

- replacements for the departed Ankergren, Akpom and Tomori,

- upgrades for Ince and LuaLua,

- perhaps a different positional replacement for Norwood.

Not exactly wholesale changes.

There won't be any ''replacements'' - Everyone will be an ''Upgrade''

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There won't be any ''replacements'' - Everyone will be an ''Upgrade''
Yes, of course.

I was just trying to draw a distinction between those who have already left, and those who are for the moment still at the club.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Leo on loan? If all else fails, he does now have PL experience is widely liked by supporters so will get a warm reception. I know there has been some criticism of him on here but I think he can "do a job".
Might be the realistic option if we have have to throw more of the budget at a central midfield recruit.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This.

The team that has performed so brilliantly for us for two years deserve their go in the PL.

Some said this back in April, along with "#together setting us apart from any other group of players. Just a couple of additions and we'll be fine" :face palm

Scroll forward to mid July and the starting eleven is already facing the following changes - Gross, Ryan and Suttner, and in the same vein we almost bought a striker. No doubt there will be several other changes come 1 September. Some players will have to move on or never play in PL games.

So the club think differently, recruiting for a different looking squad and first eleven.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Leo on loan? If all else fails, he does now have PL experience is widely liked by supporters so will get a warm reception. I know there has been some criticism of him on here but I think he can "do a job".

We already have Hemed and Murray who do the same job. For the third season running we need a Baldock replacement/back up, hopefully we will not fall short for the third year running...Ulloa is definitely not what we need imo. When Baldock gets injured we are going to be fecked in that position. We got away with it last season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
For the third season running we need a Baldock replacement/back up, hopefully we will not fall short for the third year running...

Already signed him. That's Gross job. Signed to play as a #10 and play in a 4-4-1-1 formation. As for Baldock getting injured then he's already chalked up his first minor injury of the season. Picked something up in Austria and missed the game on Friday.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
We already have Hemed and Murray who do the same job. For the third season running we need a Baldock replacement/back up, hopefully we will not fall short for the third year running...Ulloa is definitely not what we need imo. When Baldock gets injured we are going to be fecked in that position. We got away with it last season.

Spot on. Also Baldock already IS injured.

Still, I back the team to get it right. Clearly no end of work going on behind the scenes.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Already signed him. That's Gross job. Signed to play as a #10 and play in a 4-4-1-1 formation. As for Baldock getting injured then he's already chalked up his first minor injury of the season. Picked something up in Austria and missed the game on Friday.

We've signed one alternative, certainly. I'd be stunned if we don't sign another striker (or very attacking central midfielder), and if we don't, I can't believe we won't have tried.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We've signed one alternative, certainly. I'd be stunned if we don't sign another striker (or very attacking central midfielder), and if we don't, I can't believe we won't have tried.

We could always borrow Akpom again.....

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Spot on...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Yep. Agreed. And looks like we've been scouting a fair few given press coverage this summer.
Not sure how we set up on Friday 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 but looks like Gross played alongside Murray in the (first half) team CH put out on Friday. Strong sign that its his preferred strongest team (Ryan aside) currently available and with caveat that Baldock was unavailable.
Maenpaa; Bruno, Dunk, Duffy, Suttner; Knockaert, Stephens, Kayal, March; Gross; Murray

Towell filled that role in the 2nd half.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We could always borrow Akpom again.....

He's surprisingly still on a contract until 2019. So i guess, if anyone takes him, he'll be on loan to a Champ club again.
Also some talk of Arsenal mutually agreeing to end the contract.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yep. Agreed. And looks like we've been scouting a fair few given press coverage this summer.
Not sure how we set up on Friday 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 but looks like Gross played alongside Murray in the (first half) team CH put out on Friday. Strong sign that its his preferred strongest team (Ryan aside) currently available and with caveat that Baldock was unavailable.
Maenpaa; Bruno, Dunk, Duffy, Suttner; Knockaert, Stephens, Kayal, March; Gross; Murray

Towell filled that role in the 2nd half.

It was defo 4-4-1-1 CJ, and I expect we will play that formation most games next season, but that means we will sign a Gross mark II...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here