Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
This season's window is utterly ludicrous price wise.

I see this morning that Middlesborough are likely to pay c£15m FIFTEEN MILLION for Assombalonga. Unbelievable.

And with Siggurdson and Dier looking likely to command >£50m fees each the Albion just has no hope whatsoever in buying anyone domestically.

Sadly these prices will inflate in Europe too as Premier League teams get held to ransom by savvy Chairman everywhere.

Very much think it will be a disappointing summer as no way we'll push to those levels.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Keep calm - I bet there will be at least 2 in by the start of the season and more to follow before the window closes

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This is the money spent by promoted clubs on signings in their first season in the EPL.

Promoted clubs extra income & player spend excel.JPG

The season Bournemouth and Watford were promoted saw the most money spent on new players, who, as the Bournemouth fan himself alludes to, tended to be poor value for money and didn't make a huge contribution, but perhaps enough of a contribution to help keep both clubs easily up.

Promoted Clubs Average Gross Transfer Spend 2012-16.JPG

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
This season's window is utterly ludicrous price wise.

I see this morning that Middlesborough are likely to pay c£15m FIFTEEN MILLION for Assombalonga. Unbelievable.

And with Siggurdson and Dier looking likely to command >£50m fees each the Albion just has no hope whatsoever in buying anyone domestically.

Some are absurdly overpriced, usually in forward positions but to suggest there aren't players out there for reasonable prices that could improve our squad is false.

Howson went to boro for 5M, a Championship club for example.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
This is the money spent by promoted clubs on signings in their first season in the EPL.

View attachment 87124

The season Bournemouth and Watford were promoted saw the most money spent on new players, who, as the Bournemouth fan himself alludes to, tended to be poor value for money and didn't make a huge contribution, but perhaps enough of a contribution to help keep both clubs easily up.

View attachment 87125

Yes it can be very difficult to make an impact when both of your big signings Gradel and Mings both suffer cruciate ligament injurys within a few weeks of the season....

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Some are absurdly overpriced, usually in forward positions but to suggest there aren't players out there for reasonable prices that could improve our squad is false.

Howson went to boro for 5M, a Championship club for example.

He would not really improve on what we have though would he ?....... we need 4 or 5 that are better than what we have, not of the same level, but i get your point for 5m he's decent value.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Aren't parachute payments lower if a team goes up into the Prem but straight down the following season? But much higher if the team stays in the Prem for 2 or more consecutive seasons?

Surely TB should be deciding to commit at the least the difference between those amounts on signings, loan fees, or wages, in an effort to have 2+ seasons up there....

Tyreman123

Jun 27, 2013
tbh ..not such a silly idea ..I think Burnley sort of did this first time they went up..hasn't seemed to harm them!

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Here is the Bournemouth spend on transfers in the summer we got promoted:-

Capture.PNG

Hardly exciting spend....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes it can be very difficult to make an impact when both of your big signings Gradel and Mings both suffer cruciate ligament injurys within a few weeks of the season....

They cost £18m out of a total transfer spend by PAFCB of £69.8 though. You also signed Afobe, Grabban, Murray etc.

I'm not having a pop, the squad that got you promoted have proven to be excellent.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
It only takes a 30 minute trawl around various Premier League club forums to find out that most fans (apart from those at Everton and Huddersfield) are angsty about their transfer business. Manchester United fans were apoplectic until they spunked £90m on RL. Manchester City fans - despite spending millions already - are pissing themselves because they need to "rebuild" their whole defence. Lacazette has come in to the Arsenal squad but Wenger and their board are still not doing the business. And finally, look at the Newcastle forums and you really can see some sheets getting moist. There is not a lot of low hanging fruit out there at the moment. As the window closes, players and their clubs and their agents 'might' become more reasonable.
Exactly. Huddersfield's unseemly scramble to spend as much money as quickly as possible, like a kid in a sweet shop who's just got his pocket money, is the exception rather than the norm. We can only hope that backfires on them (although I'm not confident it will). Generally, the market seems quiet at the moment, and we're probably in the same boat as most. I get a lot of comfort from each time I hear Rafa having a little moan about the lack of transfer activity at Newcastle.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
They cost £18m out of a total transfer spend by PAFCB of £69.8 though. You also signed Afobe, Grabban, Murray etc.

I'm not having a pop, the squad that got you promoted have proven to be excellent.

Yeah thats the point i'm trying to make. If you look at our transfers not many have been that succesful for us.

King and Afobe are the only real successful transfers I would say. The main reason we stayed up was the core of our squad from promotion.

I think Brighton should look to do the same really. Your squad must be decent as the Championship is such a tough league to get out of.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The only players that will come at a premium are Striker, CM and potentially Winger depending on the quality we're after and how much faith CH has in Murphy/Skalak.

The Suttner fee will probably be around 3M, if we get a 3rd GK in he will cost next to nothing, perhaps even a loan. Gomez won't cost anything other than wages and perhaps a token fee. That leaves quite a lot of money for 2/3 positions and if you consider what we were prepared to offer for Delaney (11-12M) then that is in line with the total amount you have suggested.

Yup. I agree with this. It's those 2 or 3 positions that we might go for. If Gibbs' lack of suitors goes down to the wire, might be worth a £5-6m bid for a LB too.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yeah thats the point i'm trying to make. If you look at our transfers not many have been that succesful for us.

King and Afobe are the only real successful transfers I would say. The main reason we stayed up was the core of our squad from promotion.

I think Brighton should look to do the same really. Your squad must be decent as the Championship is such a tough league to get out of.

Agreed, a double digit scoring striker is essential. Easier to say than to find though, your roster of strikers for the forthcoming season look very good TBH.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Boro spent a huge amount on Negredo (loan fee and salary) and it didn't work for them because Karanka thought he could defend his way to survival. Leicester spent a juicy chunk on Cambiasso and it wasn't working for them until hope was (basically) lost and Pearson went direct and fast (because Shakespeare allegedly convinced him too). Hughton himself has been criticised loudly by Norwich fans for boring football - especially in his second season - and spending a club record fee on Van Wolfswinkel (who looked like a world beater - Dutch international, aged 24, 28 goals in 55 games for Sporting) who turned out to be a dud. Finding gems who fit into and improve our starting 11 and squad without wasting millions on bench warmers is where our club is at and it's going to be
a hard, time-consuming and frustrating process. If you like worrying about stuff, worry. If you're more chilled, great. One thing's for sure - all we can do is 'vent' about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here