Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Well what's the worst that can happen?

I reckon that TB has a lot more riding on this than we do, it's in HIS interests to build a team able to achieve 17th or better in the league. Behind the scenes they'll be busting a gut to make it happen, whilst giving nothing out to scupper the deals (remember Pritchard!).

If we do go down, it'll be a shame but not the end of the world for us fans, we'd still be Brighton whatever division we're in.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I was panicking when I saw the fixture list. No amount of transfers will allay that.

Is it too late to go back ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
£50 million for a Barkley or Dier, £25+ million for a Iheanacho. I'm intimidated by the money at this level.
But, i won't panic quite yet- although there can be no doubt that the longer the players have to gel the better our chances of survival. Call me pessimistic but I think we're still 4 or 5 players away from a competitive squad.

4 or 5. You're not a pessimist. Just a realist when looking at what we're up against, what we need and to cover for injuries/bans.

RONALDEANO

Jun 29, 2017
Haywards Heath
Slightly concerned about the lack of signings. But a hell of a lot more concerned that we don't even seem to be getting linked with many/any premier league quality players.
I know that silent business is better than public business, but its not easy to keep it quiet. Maybe They're just good at keeping schtum.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
It is possible to sign 4 or 5 players on deadline day so the time for panic is about 8pm August 31st.

The time to start worrying that we might not get the best 4 or 5 players in this transfer window has already passed.

Personally I will not be stressed about transfers until I hear Mr Houghton say he is unhappy about things. Until then, or until we sign some more players, I shall stay merely nervous and slightly disappointed every time I check for news.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It only takes a 30 minute trawl around various Premier League club forums to find out that most fans (apart from those at Everton and Huddersfield) are angsty about their transfer business. Manchester United fans were apoplectic until they spunked £90m on RL. Manchester City fans - despite spending millions already - are pissing themselves because they need to "rebuild" their whole defence. Lacazette has come in to the Arsenal squad but Wenger and their board are still not doing the business. And finally, look at the Newcastle forums and you really can see some sheets getting moist. There is not a lot of low hanging fruit out there at the moment. As the window closes, players and their clubs and their agents 'might' become more reasonable.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I reckon that TB has a lot more riding on this than we do, it's in HIS interests to build a team able to achieve 17th or better in the league. Behind the scenes they'll be busting a gut to make it happen, whilst giving nothing out to scupper the deals (remember Pritchard!).

If we do go down, it'll be a shame but not the end of the world for us fans, we'd still be Brighton whatever division we're in.

Agree with you.
(but would prefer some new players in and staying up though)

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
It only takes a 30 minute trawl around various Premier League club forums to find out that most fans (apart from those at Everton and Huddersfield) are angsty about their transfer business. Manchester United fans were apoplectic until they spunked £90m on RL. Manchester City fans - despite spending millions already - are pissing themselves because they need to "rebuild" their whole defence. Lacazette has come in to the Arsenal squad but Wenger and their board are still not doing the business. And finally, look at the Newcastle forums and you really can see some sheets getting moist. There is not a lot of low hanging fruit out there at the moment. As the window closes, players and their clubs and their agents 'might' become more reasonable.

I suppose the difference is that most of them are guaranteed survival and can easily spunk £50million + on numerous players. My main concern is a getting in a big, mobile and quick striker. Hoping we pull out another obscure, foreign gem.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

We need to stay in the PL (as not disimilar clubs Stains, Bournemouth and Palace have), simply due to finances.

The Albion accounting losses are now possibly £30m a year, all subsidised by TB and the club revealed this summer that they want the TB loan to start going the other way in getting repaid.

Parachute payments would only cover those losses for a few short years, with no guarantees of a PL return.

I'm sure you're right that the club are doing everything possible to build a PL squad.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The strange thing for me is that it's not just us who've been quiet but loads of teams. It strikes me as a sellers market. Everyone knows PL teams have eye watering TV deals and have priced players transfer fees and wages accordingly. Stoke for example have done very little and they've been signing players on stupid money for years. The domino effect will start when someone somewhere signs one of their targets for stupid money and reduces the options for other players.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
88 days ago we were promoted

66 days ago the season finished.

31 days until the first game.

4/5/6 to get

Never panic but few signs are there that this may not go as great as we all dreamed.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The strange thing for me is that it's not just us who've been quiet but loads of teams. It strikes me as a sellers market. Everyone knows PL teams have eye watering TV deals and have priced players transfer fees and wages accordingly. Stoke for example have done very little and they've been signing players on stupid money for years. The domino effect will start when someone somewhere signs one of their targets for stupid money and reduces the options for other players.

Maybe some clubs are starting to treat the game as a business and not a vanity project. Leicester blew it apart two seasons ago and others will be feeling more confident given their performance. We all applauded the £170m we will get from the Premier League but for us two highly paid, high transfer fee players would take 25% of that. Huddersfield and Bournemouth have spent, but still they are as likely as ourselves to be in the relegation zone. One or two players, in our affordability bracket, will not change our prospects, if there was no hope CH would have left. We need to finish fourth from bottom by one point to have made a success of the season, we need to be sensible and pragmatic about our prospects.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think the initial buzz of making the PL has worn off quite a bit with next to no transfer buzz.

It's the transfers and rumours that normally maintain the excitement and bridge the end of one season to the start of the next.

None of this at present.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I think it's great that we haven't added any further signings as that means that TB/PB are not wilting under the pressure from the selling Club and/or Agent to part with stupid money!

As shown with the Suttner saga, we won't be held to ransom.

What it does mean is that nearer the end of the window, the prices of quality players whether what the selling club think they're worth or what the agent is asking for will decrease.

That is when we will see our signings.

I agree with this approach as well - so my bed is dry as a bone. IF we've only added one or two players before the window closes then I might get a bit nervous HOWEVER I will think ok, let's give the current squad a chance to see what they can do up to Xmas!

I'm just going to enjoy the ride whatever happens!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here