Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you hate Palace?

Do you hate Palace?

• Yes, I HATE them. It's in my BHA DNA and nothing will change that.

Votes: 183 58.3%
  • Yeah, I hate them. My mates do, and so do I although I'm not sure why

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • About as much as any other team we're playing on any given day

Votes: 66 21.0%
  • No, it's all nonsense. I thought we'd moved on from this outdated football idiocy.

Votes: 50 15.9%
  • No, I LOVE them. They're my second team who I like to watch if I can't watch the mighty Albion.

Votes: 7 2.2%

• Total voters

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
I am of a certain age, and yes I was at the worst of the Albion v Palace clashes of old, including the " Challis of Palace" debacle at Stamford Bridge. The thing is it's football not a f***ing world war. By all means wish them a defeat every game and relegation, but hells bells mate you need to feel the love a bit. By the way, what town are you referring to. The last time I looked Selhurst Park was in London, not a very nice part, but still part of our capital city

Different people different opinions.

Why do I need to feel the love? I hate them.

Our bitter rivals and always will be, hopefully we will play them for seasons to come so that the rivalry will grow and grow back to what it used to be.

Croydon - Wikipedia

Croydon is a large town in south London, England, 9.5 miles (15.3 km) south of Charing Cross. The principal settlement in the London Borough of Croydon, it is one of the largest commercial districts outside Central London, with an extensive shopping district and night-time economy.

P.S. Look at the poll at the top of the page. I do believe thats over 50% hate them

Last edited:

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
You pour your hate and bile out at Palace, if it makes you happy. Me, its just another game.

Thanks I and lots of others will do just that.

P.S. Look at the poll at the top of the page. I do believe thats over 50% hate them

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Since that fateful day 4 years ago, I've been happy that we haven't had to play Palace, and so feel no joy in the prospect of having to face them again twice this season, with all the angst, aggro and general nonsense that goes along with these fixtures. So do YOU hate Palace? Is this rivalry an old Albion tradition that we need to cling to, particularly at a time when our success means to many that day by day we are having to sacrifice a little bit of our soul as we aim to compete in that shiny, faceless, soulless money driven machine that is the Premier League? Or do you believe the rivalry should be consigned to the trash bin, along with bovver boots, skinheads, street fights, and other stupid outdated football idiocy?

would have been a good idea to ask voters to divulge their age ?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Age is certainly a factor here. We only played them for one stretch what was it, something like 2/3 times in 22 league seasons? You can't sustain a meaningful rivalry in such circumstances, so you almost had to have been there in the 70s/80s, or have some strong family input to keep it alive.

But being a late 40-something I was delighted when it came back, and I still feel we owe them one or two. Unlike some of their big wins, even the 3-0 home win we only got two months to enjoy it before a much more damaging and painful loss in the play-offs.

It isn't hatred for me, but it is certainly a healthy dislike - my most irrational phobia. And anyone who says it is just another game - well, that might be true for them, but it's a language I don't and never will understand.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Only in a pantomime kind of way as it's nice to hiss at and boooo opponents from time to time.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I hate them Have since I was little and see no reason to change now. If you want to pursue this new age happy clappy version of being a football fan then good luck, that is your choice, but for me and others of my generation and circle WE HATE PALACE!!!

" New age happy clappy "............what a load of baloney.
How long have you been going to football? Did you grow up with all the shit that went with the 60's and 70's? The sickening gratuitous violence. The terrible facilities and general discomfort of going to football. Tightly packed, odour-stenched terraces. Overflowing toilets, crumbling grounds and a simmering undercurrent of trouble wherever you went.
Football thrives on rivalry but not on hate. If you lived through that era, you would have done your football education and be grateful for what you have now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So what if you are of a certain age that pre-dates the rivalry?
What if you started out as an Albion fan and there was no animosity, no antagonism, no rivalry. All Albion fans of a certain age grew up realising that we were a neutral club. We had no natural rivals. Pompey was 50 odd miles away and busy with Saints. Crawley were non-league and Palace were a London club, whose main rivals were Millwall. Palace didn't even register on the radar. There are thirteen league clubs nearer to Palace than us. Thats how laughable it all is but the young, the naive and the impressionable all got got caught up in a sort of manufactured, artificial hype, that has been perpetuated by those desperate for an identity and a rivalry.
For Palace, it was a way out. It enabled them to rid themselves of Millwall, who scared them shitless. Brighton was far more attractive than the grime of Bermondsey and Peckham. For Mullery and Venables, it was a chance for them to vent their mutual dislike of each other via the two clubs. Two clubs that were very ordinary when they both took over but their ruthless ambition, made them drive both forward to better things. It was ugly at times and this animosity spread to the fans, as the climate of the time demanded aggression and turmoil. Newer generations know no different. They embrace this irrational rivalry with a passion and spend their lives wishing misfortune on the other. Its not a pleasant thing. Its ugly and coarse and to be avoided at all costs. It brings out the worst followers of both clubs, looking for trouble.
The rest of the football world are puzzled. They don't get it. A London club surrounded by chimney pots and other clubs v a seaside resort 50 miles away. Most chuckle behind their hands and pour scorn at the lack of history behind it. Lets face it, its a modern phenomenom and doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
You pour your hate and bile out at Palace, if it makes you happy. Me, its just another game.

Well said. I started watching Brighton in the 60s and the idea that they'd be any sort of rival would have been totally puzzling to me. I can't buy in to this manufactured rivalry at all and Palace is just another game to me.

Portsmouth always felt more of a rival club to me (despite their history with Stains). They're still the team I look forward to beating the most #twats

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
What I can never understand are fans who feel better when Palace have lost, at the same time as us. You hear them whooping and yelling as they come out of the Amex, as if it makes our defeat easier to bear. Nothing and I mean nothing, should ever lessen the feeling of us losing. I just assume that this passion for all things Palace overrides everything. Life's alright again cos Palace lost attitude.
For someone who lives and breathes my club and hurts at every defeat, it is strange and distorted and I will never get my head round it

N17

Jun 21, 2011
" New age happy clappy "............what a load of baloney.
How long have you been going to football? Did you grow up with all the shit that went with the 60's and 70's? The sickening gratuitous violence. The terrible facilities and general discomfort of going to football. Tightly packed, odour-stenched terraces. Overflowing toilets, crumbling grounds and a simmering undercurrent of trouble wherever you went.

You're making me all nostalgic.

Don't hate them and like to see them do well as a club punching above its weight(like ours) but get a strange feeling when i see a palace shirt in sussex,have plenty of reason to hate them mostly connected with the 70's&80's but probably hate modern football more than them.All praise for keeping their set up as it was when they were team of the 80's:ffsparr:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It's a healthy rivalry so laugh when they lose against lowly opposition etc and now we’re in the same league again, will obviously enjoy it if we beat them but for me, it’s always really been about us, what we’re doing, which is much more important. Over the years, I’ve found the bile and violence associated with the fixture increasingly disturbing and no doubt the morons will be out in force again this season when the fixture resumes. As a Brighton fan who lives in Crystal Palace, (are there any others?), which, btw, of course is not Selhurst, I’m surrounded, hence my NSC name. Having lived in the area for a long time, I’ve got to know a lot of Palace fans, and surprise, surprise, the vast majority are top blokes who love their team just like us and support their local team when it would be easy to chase the glory by supporting Chelsea or Arsenal .

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My wife went ot school in Croydon so a few of her friends kids are Palace fans. Our son, who's 7, gets confused when he meets them as he can't reconcile the fact they're Palace fans AND ok to play with. At his school when they're having a race in the playground it's "last one to the gate is a Palace fan" so it's ingrained in him it's not a good thing!

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
What if you started out as an Albion fan and there was no animosity, no antagonism, no rivalry. All Albion fans of a certain age grew up realising that we were a neutral club. We had no natural rivals. Pompey was 50 odd miles away and busy with Saints. Crawley were non-league and Palace were a London club, whose main rivals were Millwall. Palace didn't even register on the radar. There are thirteen league clubs nearer to Palace than us. Thats how laughable it all is but the young, the naive and the impressionable all got got caught up in a sort of manufactured, artificial hype, that has been perpetuated by those desperate for an identity and a rivalry.
For Palace, it was a way out. It enabled them to rid themselves of Millwall, who scared them shitless. Brighton was far more attractive than the grime of Bermondsey and Peckham. For Mullery and Venables, it was a chance for them to vent their mutual dislike of each other via the two clubs. Two clubs that were very ordinary when they both took over but their ruthless ambition, made them drive both forward to better things. It was ugly at times and this animosity spread to the fans, as the climate of the time demanded aggression and turmoil. Newer generations know no different. They embrace this irrational rivalry with a passion and spend their lives wishing misfortune on the other. Its not a pleasant thing. Its ugly and coarse and to be avoided at all costs. It brings out the worst followers of both clubs, looking for trouble.
The rest of the football world are puzzled. They don't get it. A London club surrounded by chimney pots and other clubs v a seaside resort 50 miles away. Most chuckle behind their hands and pour scorn at the lack of history behind it. Lets face it, its a modern phenomenom and doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

your post is laughable im not sure where you get off with your attitude let me put you straight
a) there is not 13 league clubs closer than palarce with any relevant history of actual rivalry
b) all things have a starting point and it is very far from artificial
c) manufactured- Leeds have as many geographic rivals as palarce- but historically Chelsea are a team they love to hate
d) desperate - we have an identity and we have had many rivals down the years and are still gaining new ones
e) does the mutual animosity scare you
you come across like a worried child concerned about items you cant change, "chuckle behind their hands and pour scorn"--REALLY ?
This wont go away both sides wont let it .
Football is a odd thing more important then life and death, that is why animosity turns to hatred and violence--because it matters !

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Goodwood is on in August if that is more your cup of tea, just saying like.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Chalk me up as one who hates them but only in the sense that all clubs need a traditional, [local] enemy to have a bitter rivalry with.

Having worked there a few years back I think Croydon is a complete sh1thole populated by morons, so it helps engender a feeling of animosity towards their local team.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

When people quote the distance and different county it does amuse me. Countless examples of similar.

How far is Norwich from Ipswich for example and are they in the same county?

Every rivalry has a starting point and just because ours was made in the 70's doesn't make it 'manufactured'. My father recites the exact opposite to you (who incidentally never even got involved in that kind of thing) saying it happened entirely organically.

The rivalry is felt by many and is very real.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Of all the various points expressed, the one that 'other fans don't get it' is the least relevant. Who cares what a load of smug Prem Lg fans who haven't played us for 34 years think?

I agree that attitude exists from your Arsenal/Spurs/Liverpool/United/City fans etc, but when anyone from that group says 'I don't get it', the answer is: 'You don't have to'.

I don't tell Norwich fans how to feel about Ipswich, or United fans how to feel about Liverpool.

el punal

Different people different opinions.

Why do I need to feel the love? I hate them.

Our bitter rivals and always will be, hopefully we will play them for seasons to come so that the rivalry will grow and grow back to what it used to be.

Croydon - Wikipedia

Croydon is a large town in south London, England, 9.5 miles (15.3 km) south of Charing Cross. The principal settlement in the London Borough of Croydon, it is one of the largest commercial districts outside Central London, with an extensive shopping district and night-time economy.

Couple of things here. Firstly, Selhurst Park IS in London, SE25 to be precise, not Croydon which is a CR postcode. Secondly, as a matter of interest, did you go to any of the Albion/Palace games when the rivalry kicked off (literally) back in the 1970s? If yes, which ones and we can compare notes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here