Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Putting Pets Down.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Yesterday evening we had Roxy, our Border Collie put down.
She was about 12 and a half years old and had lived outdoors all her life.
Kept her indoors a couple of times in the past when she was ill, but she used to go crazy so had to stay outdoors.
Her back legs had gone and she couldn't really walk, she hadn't eaten for 3 days, drank loads of water then brought it straight back up again with lots of yellow stuff in it.
She was in a bad way.
The vet came to our house and agreed with what should be done.
We made her comfortable and the vet gave her a sedative which very gradually put her to sleep.
Whilst she was going to sleep we all paid our respects and stoked her etc. then the vet gave her the lethal injection, though she was already out by then.
I originally got her for the kids and apart from walking her on occasion didn't really pay much attention, as I'm not a pet sort of person, she was pretty good at playing football though.
She grew up with the kids, as they were in their very early teens when I got her and they are really upset, especially my son.
She used to always follow me around, I was head of the house and I expect she new that.
Never thought I was attached till this happened, 4 days ago she was going about her business as usual, a bit slower because of her age and then crash.
She stared at me with 'what's wrong with me' eyes, I had to make the decision, didn't want to be selfish and prolong the inevitable, quality of life etc.
When she was gone I wrapped her in her favourite blanket and put her on a bench in my shed overnight, as it was too late and dark to do anything else.
This morning I dug a 4ft deep hole at her favourite sleeping place and buried her in her favourite blanket with her favourite toys.
I find myself quite upset, though I still had to go to work and I realise that even though I didn't pay too much attention to her, she definitely had an impact on me.
She had a lovely temperament and was always pleased to see anyone, even tried to drag herself to come meet me when I got home yesterday after work.
Never thought I'd admit it, but I'm glad I got her as she was really no trouble at all.
Won't be getting another because once is really enough for me.
Don't really know why I put this on here, maybe it helps.

condolences mate , similar think happened with our burmese boy cat .....got bitten by a tiger snake and got kidney failure , i couldn't do the deed in the end so mrs.syd took him to the vet for the green dream...very sad , the look on his face for the last few days was really like ...WTF..??!!.....poor bugger....r.i.p Roxy...& Tom.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
Thinking of you - we had to put down our 9 year old Border cross - almost 2 years ago now and still think about her nearly every day - a small grumpy dog but we fought for weeks to try and save her but sadly her liver had gone - still well up now thinking of watching her quietly go........

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Got 2 old pooches,A staffie who's 17 and a jack Russel/patterdale who's about 15,both knocking on and very doddery,used to love walking them up the downs for miles when they were younger but now it's a big effort for them even to have a slow stroll in the park,We know what's coming but not sure how I'll deal with it when the time comes,pets are a precious gift that bring so much laughter and ,we'll definitely get another when our old boys go.
RIP Roxy.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's a horrible experience. We bring dogs and cats into our families knowing their expected lifespan, but it's no easier knowing that when we say goodbye.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Sorry to hear your news. I blubbed like a baby when I had my dog put down however I've never shed a tear when friends or relatives have passed away.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
There is no happier sight than a dog with its head out a car window at 40 mph and none sadder than a man leaving the vets without his dog ...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yesterday evening we had Roxy, our Border Collie put down.
I didn't want to read any more than that (but I did) as I knew it would upset me (and it did).

You're not alone. There was a thread on here a few years back started by Uncle Spielberg about losing his beloved dog Harry. All those of us who've lost dogs know exactly what you're feeling now: it's bereavement pure and simple. As others have said, they're part of your family and you love them as such. Total, unconditional love, which they give back to you in Spades. (Well that's how I interpret it).

We've lost two in the last five years. I still miss them terribly, even though we've got three others! (Although we never had five together).

All the best.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Sad to hear this news . My current Black Lab Tresco is coming up to 14 ,in the last year he has slowed down alot but still leads an active life. I'm thankfull for every extra day i have him . My last Black Lab died at 13 and we had him cremated ,his ashes are still in the house as we can't bear to part with them.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Sorry for your loss mate. My mum and I took our cat of 19 years to be put to sleep I thought I would be sweet but I cried like a little bitch.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Awful stuff, I was a mess when my dog was put down, happened over a span of 24 hours went from ace to gone, it was cancer that just flipped some sort of switch somewhere. It was a family dog and it was gutting.

Of course I moved out, to a new country and the first thing I did in my own home was get a puppy, she's barely 2 but man I can't even think that far ahead because it'll upset me too much. RIP Roxy,

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Really feel your pain. Just over two years ago for my collie. Still seems strange not having to step over her in every doorway

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I feel your pain buddy. We had to put our 9 year old cat 'Milo' down last week. He had kidney failure. I was absolutely devastated, crying like a mad man as I looked into his eyes in those final seconds. I am taking great solace in the fact that we did everything we could and he had a great life. He was a great cat we got him from Gumtree when we lived in London. He travelled with us to the US living in the Pacific North-West and the Mid-West. Not a bad life for a council estate cat.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I totally understand how you feel. We had our cat, Tommy, put to sleep 5 years ago this week and our previous cat, Emma, 15 years before. Both were incredibly traumatic days, my daughter had known Tommy virtually all her life and was inconsolable. The only comfort we took was that we knew the time was right and that they both slipped away peacefully surrounded by their loved ones. They both have their special places in the garden.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sad to hear this news . My current Black Lab Tresco is coming up to 14 ,in the last year he has slowed down alot but still leads an active life. I'm thankfull for every extra day i have him . My last Black Lab died at 13 and we had him cremated ,his ashes are still in the house as we can't bear to part with them.

I'm glad that's not just us! We've got the ashes of our two, we intended to scatter them, but just couldn't - and we'll keep the ashes of the others when they go as well.My wife and I have agreed that the dogs' ashes will go with whichever of us goes first, so they won't be alone.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
This true story should lighten this thread a bit.
I was doing an evening survey at a house for a kitchen fitout a few years back, it was quite complicated and took a bit longer than I thought.
When I was done and hurriedly putting my things away, I apologised for the time spent as I could see that they were waiting to have their dinner, pointing at two takeaway containers on a large table.
They were the old fashioned type, a foil tray with the top folded over a white cardboard lid and they had sticky labels on.
The couple started to laugh and pointed out to me that the containers held the remains of their cremated pets and the labels were their names so that that they could tell them apart.
The contents of the house were pretty basic so I shouldn't have been surprised really.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Look, let's get real. We're talking about pets here, not human beings. Pets do not live as long as humans and so they're likely going to die a lot sooner than you do. If you cannot handle a pet dying, then I suggest you refrain from owning one.

And while I'm at it (and this has become a big bugbear of mine recently) what is all this crap about pet insurance, pet supermarkets, toys for pets, vets on every street corner? You're being taken for a ride, people. You have a pet, it gets ill, you have it put down. That's the way it was back when the world was a more sensible place. A lot of smart people are making a lot of money out of you pet lovers and it's time you woke up and realised you're being taken for a very expensive ride.

And then there's the issue of picking up after your dog. If aliens saw us walking our dogs and picking up their poop, who would they think is in charge? Not in a million years would I pick up dog shit.

Rant over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here