Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    I've been there twice on England trips, decent place and easy to get around.
    900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
    Steve Parish - CPFC2010

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Theres an 'english' pub in the old town called the empire that is very popular with the students. Looked like the students have a right old party around there and in the streets close by every weekday!!
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      My favourite Italian City, been there many times as my Italian lady owns a flat in the city. I personally wouldn't recommend going in July or August as it's too effing hot - for me the best times are spring or September.
      Bologna is the food capital of Italy - the tortellini ragu at Trattoria Tony is my fave meal in the world! The area around the university is incredibly lively but ruined slightly by the graffiti on most of the buildings. Students, eh! There is a nice big park (Giardina Margherita) close to the city centre where you can chill for a few hours after doing all the touristy things - the stream and pools in the park have hundreds of turtles in them, which is a mighty strange site at first.
      The Jewish ghetto is an interesting place to visit - there's a little museum dedicated to it. The railway station is one of the most important hubs in Italy and therefor you can get to many other cities (Florence, Venice, Milan, Modena, Rome) very easily.
      Bologna is similar to Brighton actually, but without the sea - i.e lots of students, gays, independent shops, music etc etc. But as much as I love their footie team I always struggle with the hideous strip they play in - red and blue stripes, can't think why I don't like it.
      Highly recommended by me.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Bologna is a simply stunning city. It's a slow city, without cars and advertising in the central area. It was also built during the medieval era, and its surrounding area produces some of the globe's most iconic food (Parma ham, parmesan, etc). My advice would be to plan very little, just wander around and soak it all in.
      Absolutely this. Open top tourist bus to get a our bearings and hear some history.
      Other than wandering, eating ridiculously good food (free at aperitivi time, early evening) and sipping aperol spritz in the sun, the only must-do is the cimiterio Della fontanelle - crazy place; off the beaten track but free entry.
      "I'm glad they lost, 'cos if they'd 've won I'd 've been all happy. I hate being happy"
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by heathgate View Post
      Have the Spaghetti Bolognese..... it will surprise you and have no meat..... tasty nonetheless.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
      Sacrilege. Never spaghetti - that's from Naples and the south....tagliatelle Ragu is what you're looking for
      "I'm glad they lost, 'cos if they'd 've won I'd 've been all happy. I hate being happy"

0 Not allowed!
      View from the ground - god, it's dreamyName:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  1.44 MB
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post
      View from the ground - god, it's dreamyName:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  1.44 MB
      San Luca at the top right there. Lovely stuff - apart from the Rotherham shirt.

1 Not allowed!
      What can I say! I was there in May with Mrs Fridge for the 30th Wedding Anniversary and it is simply my favourite Italian City, beating even the class of Florence. We visited Venice afterwards and it wasn't a patch....

The main square is lovely and the bars reasonable considering. However meaner into some of the alleys and you will find culinary treats to tempt even the most cautious of eaters.

Among many standouts our two favourites were:

Osteria dell'Orsa

Best ever Ragu (they don't do Bolognaise!) and more rustic than Rusty the Rusticman going Rusty

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...a_Romagna.html

and for hanging out in a busy tapas-lane like experience (as say Bilbao or San Sebastian) we loved

Salumeria Simoni

their foccacia and meat/cheese platters were simply divine and great value to boot

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...a_Romagna.html

We will return next year and put on a few more pounds..

Enjoy

TNBA

TTF
      With a Monkey Man Plan Monkey Man's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Extraordinarily beautiful women there, even by Italian standards.
      Chicken Run, November 10, 1979.

0 Not allowed!
      This is my travel bologna

Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow.

---- L. Ron Hubbard