Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone planning to see the movie "Dunkirk"?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Bloody nonsense regarding having to force land at Dunkirk; Manston, Hawkinge and Lympne airfields in Kent were all less than 15 minutes away. If you had the altitude even with a duff engine you could have glided back to one of them over the Channel.

I think I'm going stop posting on this thread as I'm getting more and more annoyed about the inaccuracies... :angry:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Saw it last Friday - loved it. Bound to be some inaccuracies that the WWII experts can spot but for those of us that know the basic story, it certainly hits the spot highlighting what must have been a harrowing experience for those involved.

Agree regarding the characters - it was about the event not the individuals.

Recommended

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Bloody nonsense regarding having to force land at Dunkirk; Manston, Hawkinge and Lympne airfields in Kent were all less than 15 minutes away. If you had the altitude even with a duff engine you could have glided back to one of them over the Channel.

I think I'm going stop posting on this thread as I'm getting more and more annoyed about the inaccuracies... :angry:

Would depend on the starting height of course. According to an aviation forum a spitfire would lose approx 2000 feet per mile glided. Although to be fair another forum says from approx 6500 feet could glide for 24km.

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I didn't get this film at all. I'm not a fan of this director and I've pretty much hated everything he's ever done, as Emperor/new clothes, pseudo-intellectual, buckets of style over teaspoons of substance. I wish I was wrong so I could join the Nolan love-fest party, but I'm not. I'm right.
:)

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Tom Hardy is in it, so good enough for me!:love:

Think you might be disappointed he's in his flight suit/mask for 95% of his screen time so other than his eyes you're not even certain it's him!

Just seen it at the Connaught in Worthing for an exhorbitant £4.... very well shot..harrowing as one might expect ..I like the way they did the background music

The central theme of Nimrod Variations running through the whole score was excellent and the way it was executed was classic Zimmer.

First film I've seen at the cinema since Jurassic Park (is this an NSC record?) and it was worth the trip. Brilliantly orchestrated with very little by way of 'characters' (eg no love interest) and virtually no exposition (i.e no maps, no strategy, no Churchill impersonations). The film just really lets the action tell the story and I thought it was superbly done. Of course there's always going to be little things that you notice such as that the soldiers drowning did tend to look like male models. The use of music was very, very moving especially the splash of Elgar at the end. The aerial combat scenes were simply amazing. and the 'at-sea' ones were, er, immersive.
Things have come a long way since Jurassic Park!

PS don't want to sound pretentious here by I think the lack of characterisation was a deliberate attempt to catch a bit of the 'Britishness' at the time: the 'whole' was bigger than individuals. I thought it would have been diminished and used as a 'star vehicle' the way that Holywood might have traditionally treated it?

There wasn't supposed to be any development of the chartacters, that was deliberate. The film was meant to be subjective about the event, not about the characters.

Completely agree with you both. It didn't need character development as that wasn't the point. You empathised with them from the word go without the need to see when they got dumped/lost a parent/spouse/had a near death experience etc to make you care.

It took a little while to realise Nolan was telling a series of connected events shown from different points of view so that chronologically it didn't always flow. For example often complete scenes would end in darkness and then you'd go back to the beginning of that particular snippet and it would be daylight again.

I didn't get this film at all. I'm not a fan of this director and I've pretty much hated everything he's ever done, as Emperor/new clothes, pseudo-intellectual, buckets of style over teaspoons of substance. I wish I was wrong so I could join the Nolan love-fest party, but I'm not. I'm right.
:)

Yeah, let me guess, you thought there would be more things blowing up and blood and guts right?!

Your gripe/issue with Nolan is a complete moot point in this film as he doesn't try and do ANY of the whole Inception/Interstellar cleverness (which I like). This was pure unadulterated story telling with as many historical accuracies as possible.

Fantastic film, and really made me think on how lucky we all were to have the parents/grandparents that we did. Can you imagine if anything comparable happened today? The mind boggles.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Saw it tonight.... raw and tense... no Hollywood glitz.... great film... when the yoof of today slagged off the older generation post Brexit.... they really needed to have a look at this tale... perspective.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I saw it tonight - utter. utter garbage - an insult really and a waste of two hours of my life.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Saw it tonight.... raw and tense... no Hollywood glitz.... great film... when the yoof of today slagged off the older generation post Brexit.... they really needed to have a look at this tale... perspective.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
That's a pathetic, incorrect and very cheap shot. I look forward to seeing the film.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I thought it was a great film it told the story well the fight for survival I heard many stories of bravery we should be pleased that the film showed what are ancestors went through and without their sacrifice we could be speaking German now.
although I wish I had learnt German / French at school.

curly69

Jan 4, 2006
sydney
I saw it tonight - utter. utter garbage - an insult really and a waste of two hours of my life.

You Sir need to get a life to be able to waste your life. Great movie. Loved it and very well done. What no blood and guts, just a true story of true heroes

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A friend of mine is a film director and he said that the director of Dunkirk hates CGI with a passion and only uses it as a last resort
Hence you only saw a few small boats and when the minesweeper sunk the oil fire was very small etc
I agree with the Spitfire ammunition and gliding and landing bit but it didn't spoil my enjoyment of an old fashioned stiff upper lip British movie

Simply not true. Inception. Batman trilogy. Interstellar. Crammed full of effects. They are effects movies. He's known for it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here