Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Compare the two situations

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The two things are completely separate so I have no idea why we'd compare them. Both are wrong but the degree of wrongness is different

The idea that casual racism among this country's leaders is acceptable because other people made bombs in the 1970s is bizarre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
They were debating on GMB whether the 'n' word should be banned in the same way 'k****' has in South Africa (You can go to prison for using it in public apparently) but the difficulty is it's not only widely used in the black community world wide (appears over 250 times in Mike Tyson's autobiography) but it's actually a perceived a friendly greeting between some black people.

The MP has made a mistake, but looking at the Charlie Gard coverage, the Birmingham Bomber's revelation and having driven past Grenfell Tower on the way to Lords on Friday, in the grand scheme of things is this one stupid sound bite that earth shattering?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Why should he answer such a moronic question?
Because he joined this thread that posed that very question? Just a thought like............maybe an alien concept to you.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Anne-Marie Morris has had a slap on the wrist, will get the whip back and be fine, she's a popular local MP.

I know nothing of Michael Hayes or what his life has been, before and since that awful event. I am minded not to be too quick to pass judgement on events committed in war, atrocities are made by soldiers on all sides in all conflicts with regularity, sometimes under orders, sometimes not. Peace and reconciliation at the end of a war requires apologies and forgiveness, but no-one doubts that that is hard to do. It is clear we are still going through this process

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There are no other English phrases I can think of that describe an obscure factor or a concealed motive quite as well as "n****r in the woodpile", so for a 60 year-old woman to blurt it out is wrong but forgiveable if used in a specific context.

However, there's nothing hidden or concealed about ending up with no EU deal in 2 years' time - it's obvious that is going to happen, and so for using the 'n' word with not even the flimsiest of defences as context she deserves to be sacked. Or burned.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not a hope in hell, she is toxic to the Tories now

I voted against her when I was registered in her constituency, but she's increased her majority from 500, to 11,000, to 17,000 in successive elections. That's an 8% swing to the Tories between the 2015 and 2017 elections, when the Tories were cratering across most of rest of the south of England. She's very popular locally.

People forget this kind of thing fast, Boris Johnson called black people 'picaninnies'. Corbyn and his allies were being crucified for being anti-semitic. In this situation she wasn't being racist or making a racist point, she used a racist idiom. Stupid, but not career-ending imo

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
There are no other English phrases I can think of that describe an obscure factor or a concealed motive quite as well as "n****r in the woodpile", so for a 60 year-old woman to blurt it out is wrong but forgiveable if used in a specific context.

However, there's nothing hidden or concealed about ending up with no EU deal in 2 years' time - it's obvious that is going to happen, and so for using the 'n' word with not even the flimsiest of defences as context she deserves to be sacked. Or burned.

Elephant in the room works pretty well and is, presumably, only offensive to elephants attempting to hide themselves in a room.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Elephant in the room works pretty well and is, presumably, only offensive to elephants attempting to hide themselves in a room.

But it's not an 'elephant in the room' either - the elephant has already emerged but is being ignored. The 'n****r in the woodpile' has yet to be revealed.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
But it's not an 'elephant in the room' either - the elephant has already emerged but is being ignored. The 'n****r in the woodpile' has yet to be revealed.

I think it works quite well going by the Wikipedia definition:

an obvious problem or risk no one wants to discuss,[2] or a condition of groupthink no one wants to challenge.[3]

Everyone is aware of the possibility of there not being a deal and yet nobody is willing to talk about it.

Or maybe I've misunderstood your original post? I am very tired.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
1)Stupid Tory MP makes ridiculous racist statement and gets the book thrown at her. Rightfully so.

However....

2)IRA member Michael Hayes admits planting Birmingham bombs in 1974 and is treated as an OK guy who has admitted his past. Oh, by the way, he was responsible in a large part for the death of 21 innocent people.

Does one need any more proof that society and it's (IN)ability to discern between right and wrong, is truly f****d?

TNBA

TTF

For accuracy...............

I have listened to the interview and Hayes does NOT admit to planting the bombs. He admits to being in an IRA ASU in Birmingham at the time of the bombings. He admits to knowing who planted the bombs. Maybe it was him. Who knows? But he certainly doesn't admit to being the planter of the bombs in the interview.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
And let us not forget that because the OB were too lazy and / or too incompetent to trace the members of the IRA ASU in Birmingham, they fitted up six totally innocent individuals who had to endure 16 years of imprisonment.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
Does this mean we can't say 'Eenie Meenie Miney Mo, Catch a ****** by his toe' anymore then? I've just tought my 4 year old son it to decide things, it's a nursery rhyme right?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Does this mean we can't say 'Eenie Meenie Miney Mo, Catch a ****** by his toe' anymore then? I've just tought my 4 year old son it to decide things, it's a nursery rhyme right?

I would have advised 'heads or tails' but these days who carries cash?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here