Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were the Albion the best run club in the Championship?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I know that for some Paul Barber is somewhere between Genghis Khan and Fred West in terms of reputation, and I can assure you he's given me a few bollockings over the past years for views I've expressed here on NSC, but as a means of giving some credit.

For reasons of great dullardness I've today taken some stick from Leeds fans on Twitter, who were claiming that Leeds were being shafted by the TV deal in the Championship, so decided to do some further investigation.

The Leeds fans' view was that they received less money from TV for each £1 that generated from matchday, were entitled to more money, everyone hated them etc etc, so crunched the numbers and found out that there was once club in the Championship that had generated even less...which was the Albion.

It turns out the Albion are top of the table, and so some credit must go for this to our CEO, who no doubt as we speak is sitting is a hollowed out volcano, stroking a white cat, whilst working out how much to charge fans for coffee next season and not signing a left back.

In addition give yourselves some kudos too, for putting your hands in your pockets (and we of course all appreciate TB's small contribution) and helping to get the Albion into the PL.

Matchday to TV Championship 2015-16.JPG

Last edited:

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Speaking of dullardness, I don't really understand the middle paragraph or the graph at the bottom, but I'm sure it must be good, so well done us. However, I'd be interested to hear more details of the bollockings you've received at the hands of PB.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Seems a curious metric to decide entitlement to TV money. Is the latter equally distributed, or is it allotted on an appearance basis?

Is there any correlation between matchday income and TV money outside the minds (such as they are) of Leeds fans?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Seems a curious metric to decide entitlement to TV money. Is the latter equally distributed, or is it allotted on an appearance basis?

Is there any correlation between matchday income and TV money outside the minds (such as they are) of Leeds fans?

In the Championship there's an element split equally plus an appearance fee of £100k for a home match and £10k for an away match.

Leeds fans say that as former Champions of Europe and therefore the team that generates massive TV audiences they are entitled to a bigger share.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Speaking of dullardness, I don't really understand the middle paragraph or the graph at the bottom, but I'm sure it must be good, so well done us. However, I'd be interested to hear more details of the bollockings you've received at the hands of PB.

His favourite TellyTubby is La La, but I'm #TeamTinkyWinky

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That's looking likely to be c£20m in 2017-18

It's a bit more than that from TV

c.£100m if we finish bottom of the PL
c.£108m if we avoid relegation and finish 4th bottom
c.£116m if we match the club's best even finish and finish 13th
c.£122m if we creep into the top half of the division

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It's a bit more than that from TV

c.£100m if we finish bottom of the PL
c.£108m if we avoid relegation and finish 4th bottom
c.£116m if we match the club's best even finish and finish 13th
c.£122m if we creep into the top half of the division

I was thinking the portion that relates directly to tv rights for broadcasting matches - £1m per match?

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Sorry to be Mr Thicky of Thick Street, Thickston, Thickyshire, but what has matchday income got to do with TV income? Besides being two different things that you can plot a graph against? ??? ???

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sorry to be Mr Thicky of Thick Street, Thickston, Thickyshire, but what has matchday income got to do with TV income? Besides being two different things that you can plot a graph against? ??? ???

The claim made by Leeeds was that they were being short changed by the TV deal.

Their view was that because they generated massive amounts of matchday revenue that therefore made them a huge TV draw too, and so they should receive additional TV income.

I'm not agreeing with them or disagreeing, just highlighting that their claim doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Impossible to know without detailed figures from all the clubs and days of study but if you tiered the league into 3 or 4 levels I think there's no doubt we'd be in the top one alongside some other well run clubs. I also reckon the lowest tier would be at least double the size of the top one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here