Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rome suggestions please?

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
Bar on roof top of Minerva Hotel near Pantheon. Not cheap. Go early evening cracking views and ambiance. the wife will love it.
Bernini Restaurant in the Piazza Navona. Great family cooking, so welcoming Reasonable price. Check trip advisor.

Take a plastic water bottle on your walkabouts...plenty of fountains to fill up drinking water.

Stand in the cafes and have a quick coffee...sitting outside will cost 3 times the price.

DO go into St Peters and pop into any church around any little square or street......you will be amazed. Plus its a nice place to cool down.

Dont rush.....enjoy it.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Good footwear is essential because you will walk a lot and Rome really is hilly. Trastevere for food and atmosphere, just go in any church that is open because it will be amazing inside and - seriously - watch Roman Holiday before you go. Rome is one of the truly Top cities - enjoy

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
History buildings museums all fantastic but the Romans are another thing keep a tight hold of your wallets

Take a map and just walk. It's a great place for exploring. Around every corner there is something amazing. I've never been anywhere so full of history.

Favourite city break,agree its one to be walked, one down side lots of hawkers and they are getting worse.

Attachments

• DSC00532.JPG
    DSC00532.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 225

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Couple of other suggestions:
Two excellent major churches are Santa Maria Maggiori and San Giovanni in Lateran (Sp?). They are both a bit away from the centre so relatively empty of tourists. Try to find San Pietro in Vinicoli - a lovely church containing some major Michelangelo. There is a kind of road/path down the side of the church - just wander down there for some peace and quiet.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Fabulous city so much to see and do, the usual stuff but so much more it's best to look at the advice and look at a guide and select what you want to do.
But to be honest unless you like city heat and walking around in it I would not go this time of year it's roasting 35 degrees. So you may want to find a shady park but then you are missing out on something great to look at.
Beware of pick pockets especially at Vatican if you have to queue to get in, also begging far beyond Brighton standards.
One thing I would recommend though is a rooftop restaurant in the centre, nice meal overlooking Rome. Can't remember the name but it was around the Spanish Steps area, expensive but worth it, there are quite a lot to choose from.
Romans are a surly lot though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Another vote for Trastevere. Stayed there with the missus, ate very well & it was close to all the sites. Other than that we did all the tourist stuff, Trevi Fountain, Vatican, Coliseum etc and had a brilliant time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Add the Borghese gallery - use a good guide like Dark Rome to explain the sculpture - stunning

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I love Rome.

I have an Italian friend who was brought up near Rome, I've been to Rome with him which was helpful.

For years he's assured me that the best ice cream in the World is in Rome. In Rome we were in the Abbey Theatre Irish oub and he told me the ice-cream shop over the road from there is the best in Rome, surely that means it's the best in the World. Don't know if that's true or not, but it was damn good.

There's nice restaurants all over the place, you won't find bad pasta in Rome, although you WILL find overpriced pasta, check prices before you order, some places are rip-off joints.

For a cheaper lunch one day the way Romans do it, go into a meter pizza place. It's the Italian version of fast food. They have long rectangular pizzas ready made, you tell them how much you want (in length, or just visually), the cut it off, weight it and charge by the gram. The pizza is good, cheap and quick. Not exactly cordon bleu, but it's a genine piece of Italy.

For a slightly different Roman church experience, visit the Capuchin crypt in the church of Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini. It's walking distance from the centre and is decorated with the bones of monks who died over hundreds of years. Eerie, but strangely beautiful.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Walk. Just walk. We got the lonely planet city guide that had several walking routes, and the way Rome is, so compact with the sights just dotted around, that it is just amazing to stroll around, pop in and out for an occasional espresso and keep going.

When I first got there we went straight to a bar in the centre and wanted to buy some fags, so went out looking for a shop, it was a bit mental - looked right- there was the trevi fountain, turned left, there was the pantheon. Everything is just 'there'

Also we went south out of the city gates to the catacombs one day, that was pretty cool

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
Had a long weekend in Rome in May and along with some of the other suggestions I would add a church called Ignazlo di Loyola near the Pantheon its quite spectacular inside! I would also take a look at the Monumento a Vittorio Emaanuele II is very impressive! I would also recommend trying the metro its cheap! We were staying in a hotel on the Via Flavia so we ate in a restaurants called La Pentolaccia, Hangout Cafe and La Bottega - all were very nice indeed and I would recommend them!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I wouldn't bother mate - Rome is a shit hole. I'm not joking.

You can't say that, that Colosseum will be lovely when it's finished.

Give the Vatican a miss though, wall to wall Priests and Nuns and when I sneezed, not one of them said " Bless you"
Miserable beggars!

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Looking for a reasonable priced hotel / b&b in Rome for a short midweek break in Oct, fairly central, anyone got any recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here