Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rob Hunt to Oldham on Permanent deal

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No denying that he played a fair few games for us...................but yes, it does, a bit.

In a discussion about, you 'Still waiting' for the Albion academy to 'produce a first team player'?

No it doesn't. They did. He was.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The discussion also mentioned, at some point, 'one a year'. Nothing for a few years now, certainly not a first team regular.

For sure. One a year is a bold aim, but realistic. We are a fair way from reaching that situation.

But that isn't cause to belittle or ignore those that HAVE come through, even if in Forster-Caskey's case, the club's own progression eventually left him behind.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For sure. One a year is a bold aim, but realistic. We are a fair way from reaching that situation.

But that isn't cause to belittle or ignore those that HAVE come through, even if in Forster-Caskey's case, the club's own progression eventually left him behind.
Well, yes, sure we've moved on. That Hyypia midfield of Forster-Caskey and Gary Gardner still still makes me shudder!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Young Brighton & Hove Albion defender Rob Hunt has joined Oldham Athletic on a permanent basis on undisclosed terms.

The 22-year-old has signed a two-year deal and returns to Boundary Park after a successful loan spell last season in which he made ten appearances.

Manager Chris Hughton said, “Rob has been very keen to play regular senior football since I arrived at the club, and having had the experience with Oldham last season, this move provides him with that chance.

“He has spent a good amount of time with the first team over the past year, and his attitude and determination has always been excellent. He now has the opportunity to play regular football at a club he already knows well.

“It's a great opportunity for Rob and I would like to wish him all the very best for the future on behalf of everyone at the football club.”

The Dagenham-born defender joined Albion as a 16-year-old having been spotted playing Sunday football for Essex-based Brentwood Town.

A regular in the under-23 side in recent seasons, he made his Albion debut in last season's EFL Cup tie at Oxford United, and first league appearance in a 1-0 win at Burton in September 2016.

He went on to play eight times for the Seagulls, including three appearances in the Checkatrade Trophy - before his loan spell with Oldham.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Good luck, as with all young players departing I hope he manages to carve out a decent career for himself.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
This story highlights how clueless Naylor is. Days earlier he was going on about Hunt potentially getting in the fold for our season in the Prem. Then suggested that he will be loaned out.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Bit confused by this. Seemed to have a real future with the club, especially as we extended his contract by a year in the middle of last season. Presumably that was just to avoid him being out of contract so we could sell him over the summer.

I would assume it is a low initial fee with a high sell on clause.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Bit confused by this. Seemed to have a real future with the club, especially as we extended his contract by a year in the middle of last season. Presumably that was just to avoid him being out of contract so we could sell him over the summer.

I would assume it is a low initial fee with a high sell on clause.

Sounds about right. Oldham haven't a pot to piss in so likely very little cash changing hands.
Maybe a high sell-on or even a potential buy-back clause.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Sounds about right. Oldham haven't a pot to piss in so likely very little cash changing hands.
Maybe a high sell-on or even a potential buy-back clause.

Fair point. Buy back clauses seem more popular these days. Will be interesting to see how he develops (it may also be that there are younger players than Hunt who have developed at a faster rate and the club would rather give them a chance if needed).

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Good move for Hunt and for us. When you compare him to the fullbacks we have now he's miles off them both physically and technically.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bit disappointed with this, tbh. I want to see youngsters coming through from the youth set-up - would have much preferred a season long loan.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Bit disappointed with this, tbh. I want to see youngsters coming through from the youth set-up - would have much preferred a season long loan.

Problem is that he's not really a youngster. At 22 he's too old for the Checkatrade side unless he goes in as an overage player. Also, with Suttner and possibly Gomez in the side (and Bong and Rosenior already there) he wouldn't have much chance of a place even on the bench.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Strange one this according to our website Hunt is 22 and signed for Oldham on a 2 year deal?

According to Oldham's website he's 21 and he's signed a 3 year deal?

The 22-year-old has signed a two-year deal and returns to Boundary Park after a successful loan spell last season, in which he made ten appearances.

Hunt, who spent time on loan with Latics last season, joins the club on a three-year deal.
The 21-year-old joined on loan in January and made his debut against Bradford City coming on as a 84th minute substitute before making his first start in the 0-1 win over Chesterfield.*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here