Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Quintessentially British" things on toast

Yoda

English & European
kidneys on toast is something that always reminds me of a great British breakfast

I was wondering how far I would have to go through this thread before I found Kidneys mentioned.

Here's a great recipe for you (although he uses fried bread)

Also love a bit of Buck Rarebit too:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Scrambled eggs on toast, plenty of salt and pepper and some parsley and a black coffee is my go-to post run breakfast. I think it's British but not sure.

I made a pavlova in a microwave over the weekend having read about it and used 4 egg whites so had 4 yolks left and the beat way to use them was to add some milk and make scrambled egg for brekkie

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Marmalade? Without a doubt.
Cheese? Yep, every day of the week.
Beans? Loved it as a kid. Still do.
Mince?

Apparently this is a "quintessentially British comfort classic":
Capture.jpg

https://twitter.com/Eater/status/884419962579898369

Anyone on here feel the stirrings of patriotism or feel classicly comforted upon seeing that photo? I've been British all my life and I've never once heard of this mess let alone eaten it.

Isn't this what our American cousins call a loose meat sandwich? (As made famous by Roseanne Barr and John Goodman?) If you add another piece of bread on top of course..

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Any form of egg on toast is immeasurably improved by liberally spreading Marmite on the toast and placing the egg on top.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Marmalade? Without a doubt.
Cheese? Yep, every day of the week.
Beans? Loved it as a kid. Still do.
Mince?

Apparently this is a "quintessentially British comfort classic":
Capture.jpg

https://twitter.com/Eater/status/884419962579898369

Anyone on here feel the stirrings of patriotism or feel classicly comforted upon seeing that photo? I've been British all my life and I've never once heard of this mess let alone eaten it.
Mrs KK endured something similar as a child; her mum called it "steak royale" I believe....

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
kidneys on toast is something that always reminds me of a great British breakfast

Yep and preferably devilled. Yummy
The give away that you're in a proper British country house hotel is kedgeree, kippers and devilled kidneys on the breakfast menu, the latter on chunky farmhouse brown toast.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Hmm a lot of horrible wartime food cropping up but I might try the old egg n marmite idea

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Mrs Jakartas Saturday breakfast in bed is Toast with a liberal amount of HP Sauce, baked beans, a crisp rasher of bacon and a fried egg.

If I do the same for myself it will also have few mushrooms and a tomato but that is because I'm a greedy pig...

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Always get a bit homesick reading these sort of threads. My favourite is scrambled eggs on toast and I've tried a few places in NYC but not really had much luck, so do my own. Marwoods in Ship Street takes some beating for theirs. For some reason the Yanks are obsessed with French Toast, bread soaked in milk and beaten eggs then fried, which I find fairly disgusting.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Always get a bit homesick reading these sort of threads. My favourite is scrambled eggs on toast and I've tried a few places in NYC but not really had much luck, so do my own. Marwoods in Ship Street takes some beating for theirs. For some reason the Yanks are obsessed with French Toast, bread soaked in milk and beaten eggs then fried, which I find fairly disgusting.

Hated that "French Toast."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here