Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How many players SHORT are the Albion right now?

How many more players do we need?

• 0 - we have a PLR squad already

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.4%

Votes: 6 2.1%

Votes: 54 19.1%

Votes: 85 30.0%

Votes: 84 29.7%
  • 6 or more

Votes: 53 18.7%

• Total voters

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As well as having Murray, Hemed and Baldock, last season we:

1) Brought Akpom in. Now he turned out to be a bit crap, but he should have been a decent option to have as a 4th striker.

2) Had Knockaert, Skalak and Murphy all of who have previously played and/or can play more centrally if required. Largely they weren't. I'd suggest even Solly could deputise there if needed.

3) Had Richie Towell returning to the fray. A bit of an unknown quantity certainly, but he also knows where the goal is.

As it turned out despite buying Shane "why are we breaking our transfer record on a central defender we don't need" Duffy, it was central defence where we were looking somewhat threadbare. Fortunately Lewis Dunk pulled off a miracle in not picking up the yellows we all anticipated him getting.

On the Dunk front it was amazing the change in booking velocity at the end of the season - perhaps he realised just how critical it was not put in rash tackles. Hopefully they can all carry that over to the upcoming season, as some of the players they'll come across will be very keen to draw fouls and get players booked.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
As well as having Murray, Hemed and Baldock, last season we:

1) Brought Akpom in. Now he turned out to be a bit crap, but he should have been a decent option to have as a 4th striker.

In January. I called him out on being shite to many a rebuke.

2) Had Knockaert, Skalak and Murphy all of who have previously played and/or can play more centrally if required. Largely they weren't. I'd suggest even Solly could deputise there if needed.

With limited success in the past. Whichever game Solly last played 10 in, he looked totally lost.

3) Had Richie Towell returning to the fray. A bit of an unknown quantity certainly, but he also knows where the goal is.

Also returning from injury. I'm sure it sounds like a good option in hindsight. At the time it would have been a disaster. I don't think anybody was suggesting that we didn't have options, just not the options you would expect to have for a promotion chasing squad. Options that were rarely/if at all tested.

As it turned out despite buying Shane "why are we breaking our transfer record on a central defender we don't need" Duffy, it was central defence where we were looking somewhat threadbare. Fortunately Lewis Dunk pulled off a miracle in not picking up the yellows we all anticipated him getting.

Was very pleased with the Duffy signing myself and this very example you are providing is indicative that we would have been absolutely ****ed if something similar had happened to our strike force.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Both full backs, a centre back, a winger, a centre midfielder and two strikers ideally.

I make that seven.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
On the Dunk front it was amazing the change in booking velocity at the end of the season - perhaps he realised just how critical it was not put in rash tackles. Hopefully they can all carry that over to the upcoming season, as some of the players they'll come across will be very keen to draw fouls and get players booked.

Not all of us thought it was amazing. Just sensible since it was critical the boy matured into a man and smartened up. Sometimes it is obvious.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
6 SHORT now, I reckon

1. Ryan
2. Maenpaa
3. New Signing (GK)
4. Bruno
5. Rosenior
6. Suttner
U21 New Signing (Fullback)
7. Bong
8. Dunk
9. Duffy
10. Hunemeier
11. Goldson
12. New Signing (Central Mid)
13. Groß
14. Stephens
15. Kayal
16. Sidwell
17. New Signing (Winger)
18. Knockaert
19. March
20. Skalak or Murphy
21. New Signing (Striker)
22. New Signing (Striker)
23. Murray
24. Baldock
25. Hemed

Not in squad :
Towell
LuaLua
Ince
Norwood
Hunt

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
My theory is that the 3rd GK signing depends on whether we get Gomez.

Get Gomez : we sign a 3rd GK.

Don't get Gomez : we may need to get an over 21 defender ( or use Hunt ), meaning we have to use Sanchez ( U21) as 3rd GK.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If as it seems likely we will play five in the middle in a 4-2-3-1 I think that means a new left-sided defensive midfielder to plug the gap. (I think half decent PL teams can pass around a 4-1-4-1)

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If as it seems likely we will play five in the middle in a 4-2-3-1 I think that means a new left-sided defensive midfielder to plug the gap. (I think half decent PL teams can pass around a 4-1-4-1)
Suttner can play left sided defensive midfield as well as fullback, I believe.

Gomez looks like a key additional defender to get to allow that flexibility.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Suttner can play left sided defensive midfield as well as fullback, I believe.

Gomez looks like a key additional defender to get to allow that flexibility.

That's what I was thinking but Gomez is right footed. Still need a left-sided defensive type. I can't See Bong being free of injury.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
My theory is that the 3rd GK signing depends on whether we get Gomez.

Get Gomez : we sign a 3rd GK.

Don't get Gomez : we may need to get an over 21 defender ( or use Hunt ), meaning we have to use Sanchez ( U21) as 3rd GK.

Good point about Sanchez as third keeper. We could still recall Walton in an emergency, until Sanchez selected five times? Hunt has gone now?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The article says stability is key (mainly quoting Wenger) but the stats at the end don't support this. Most title winners bring in 5 players, plus they were already IN the Premier League the season before.

And most teams that bring in a ton of players get relegated. They use a number of examples of teams that barely sign anyone of being promoted, and end up staying up, compared to teams that sign a lot and end up going down.

Either way, stability is the key seems to be the main message.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
And most teams that bring in a ton of players get relegated. They use a number of examples of teams that barely sign anyone of being promoted, and end up staying up, compared to teams that sign a lot and end up going down.

shirley, the top teams aren't in need of too many new faces and the poor teams need a major overhaul

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

No they don't, it's a mixed picture:

Southampton signed 8 at £32m in their first PL season.
Bournemouth signed 11 at £41m
Palace 18 at £26m
Burnley 7 at £28m the second time around

But as you say there are others that did the same and went down.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
''We have to strengthen, that goes without saying.''

“But we’re not looking to spend huge amounts. We’ll do things on a gradual basis as we have done.

“We have good players already, and we want to strengthen from that position.”

TB

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
4 - 5 SHORT now

1. Ryan
2. Maenpaa
3. New Signing (GK)
4. Bruno
5. Rosenior