Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lionel Messi - £1m per week plus bonuses

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
:lol: :lol: :cry: :cry:

The Barcelona striker Lionel Messi will become the first £1m-a-week player in a new deal to be signed this month.

Messi’s gross pay under the four-year deal has been set at an annual £54.8m, according to a club source, and will take football salaries to an extraordinary new level.

If the contract runs for its full term, by which stage the Argentina international will be 34, Barca are committed to paying him £220m — and that is before performance-related bonuses.

Messi’s deal will put him ahead of his great rival, Cristiano Ronaldo at Real Madrid, who earns a reported £365,000 a week after tax, although Ronaldo’s overall earnings put him in front.

It means Messi’s £223,000 fine for tax fraud will cost him less than two days’ wages and is good news for Antonella Roccuzzo, whom he married in their home city of Rosario in Argentina last weekend.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Hopefully he'll pay tax on this one!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Absolutely crazy, where will it end.
With all the poverty in the world, this is perverse and shouldn't be allowed to happen.
Club chairman around the world must be in disbelief, along with the rest of us.
Time for bed.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Messi’s gross pay under the four-year deal has been set at an annual £54.8m, according to a club source

Gross being the operative word. Football will eat itself.

Can't WAIT for the bubble to burst and the whole deck of cards to come tumbling down.

It'll be the greatest show on earth this side of the Trump impeachment :clap:

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Absolutely crazy, where will it end.
With all the poverty in the world, this is perverse and shouldn't be allowed to happen.
Club chairman around the world must be in disbelief, along with the rest of us.
Time for bed.

It's his market worth. I don't have a problem with it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He might be able to afford to buy [MENTION=12486]Husty[/MENTION] a ticket at the AMEX

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Why do people have an inconsistent view when it comes to top footballers remuneration? They don't seem to have the same sort of vitriol towards film stars on x£m per film, or pop/rock stars making a fortune etc. Ultimately they're all simply entertainers and getting paid well for it.

They have to do 'something' with their money (much of it paid in tax) which feeds the economy as they buy goods/services/etc. Money they save, put into banks, invest etc. all goes into further tax and into pensions etc.

Even better if the very wealthy spend their money in philanthropic ways.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of what footballers get paid, what I fail to understand is, just how you actually can spend that amount of money. There can surely only be a finite amount of "things" you want. Genuinely, I cannot even begin to imagine having that sort of money available to me, let alone what do with it.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8013284 said:
The poor chap will have to pay 50% tax on that. I'm not sure how he'll get by?

There is a JustGiving page been set up to help with the difference so please donate. With the love of like minded people, he will come through it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What I fail to understand is, just how you actually can spend that amount of money.

Spending the dough is the easy bit.

Ask a certain Tony what he spent his millions on? If not a football club, there are planes, yachts, Islands, corporations and future spaceship projects to invest in other than charitable causes.

I fail to understand where Barca get the money to pay one player £50m+ per year. They can't get the same level tv money we get in the Premier League can they?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Spending the dough is the easy bit.

Ask a certain Tony what he spent his millions on? If not a football club, there are planes, yachts, Islands, corporations and future spaceship projects to invest in other than charitable causes.

I fail to understand where Barca get the money to pay one player £50m+ per year. They can't get the same level tv money we get in the Premier League can they?

Be interesting to see what they turn over in a year, now they are a not for profit organisation, all that goes to Messi.
I sometimes get to work on projects where individuals are spending a ridiculous amount of money on stuff for themselves for something that could be done just as well for a fraction of the cost and it grates me really.
The rest could be put to much better use in the community.
There is so much that could be done with it to benefit others, how comfortable does one have to be.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Bet his missus is devastated knowing she could have spent an extra €10 million on their wedding and not blinked an eyelid.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here