Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craft Lager

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
For some companies for sure. But proper craft beers do cost more to manufacture do to the time the take to make and premium, or more, ingredients and simple economy of scale.

According to my Harvey's mate most craft beers are full of citrus because it's cheaper to make then. Must admit I'm not keen on them

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
According to my Harvey's mate most craft beers are full of citrus because it's cheaper to make then. Must admit I'm not keen on them

Harvey's would say that, they are desperate to crack the craft/IPA market, but are yet to produce a product that gives the craft market a run for their money.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Believe me they are doing very well and don't need that

I don't dispute they are doing well. But their attempts at IPA's and the like are incredibly dull and bland next to the craft offerings.

Harvey's will always sell well, they have a loyal customer base and run decent pubs. But they know the craft beer market is lucrative, they just haven't found the recipe for success yet.

Longman brewery & Dark Star do far superior pale ale's to Harvey's in my opinion.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If the beer is conditioned and matured with the usual yeasts and this is all done at cold temperatures then Lager is just a generic name for it. Many German/Austrian/Czech style beers brew totally different styles that actually taste of something but still just about come under the lager title. Lager only means storage/warehouse in German at the end of the day.

Not really correct, here's a better explanation http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-01/beersci-what-difference-between-lager-and-ale#page-2

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

That was a very basic explanation as to top fermented 'lagers' and other styles which can be bottom fermented beers such as Altbier and some Bocks and Swarzbeers (sp) but still put in the lager category. Its wasn't supposed to be a Michael Jackson definitive book on the subject ...jeez.
Anyway one of the reasons 'lagers', although I think Pilsners would be a better description became more popular is that they didn't spoil as often as top fermenting beers.

I have read through your link and can't actually see where I am 'not really correct'

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That was a very basic explanation as to top fermented 'lagers' and other styles which can be bottom fermented beers such as Altbier and some Bocks and Swarzbeers (sp) but still put in the lager category. Its wasn't supposed to be a Michael Jackson definitive book on the subject ...jeez.
Anyway one of the reasons 'lagers', although I think Pilsners would be a better description became more popular is that they didn't spoil as often as top fermenting beers.

Sorry.......Just my area of knowledge.

Since leaving aircraft engineering and owning 4 pubs, I now work for a major brewer on the technical side.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sorry.......Just my area of knowledge.

Since leaving aircraft engineering and owning 4 pubs, I now work for a major brewer on the technical side.
Why are you sorry. It's only a chit chat on the production of beer. My area of knowledge as well - I drink copious amounts of the stuff and after the Albion my passion I guess.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Why are you sorry. It's only a chit chat on the production of beer. My area of knowledge as well - I drink copious amounts of the stuff and after the Albion my passion I guess.
we're looking for people come and join us.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
we're looking for people come and join us.

There were a few of us who did consider starting up on a small scale but after drinking some of Oakhams Citras and Bishops Farewells and Mark Tranters La Provision Saison at Burning Sky we sort of thought we would be so far behind that maybe we were too old for it all. I do love the beer scene now though PMan and apart from the piss taking going on in some of the pubs that stock Craft ales things have never been better.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just back from a short holiday in Stockholm.

Lager of choice something called 'Pistonhead Kustom Lager'. Cheap as chips from the state offy, in 330ml cans and really, really good.

http://www.pistonheadlager.com/

KUSTOM LAGER. Pistonhead Kustom Lager is Kustom brewed with a double-clutch of Münchener and Pilsner malt injected with Spalter Select, Magnum and Perle hops that will leave a hint of bitterness on your lips, but never in your heart.

Color: Medium Gold
Aroma: Malty fragrance with hints of syrup loaf
Taste: A very rich, malty flavor with a balanced and marked bitterness
Hops: Magnum, Spalter Select and Perle
Malts: Pilsner and Münchener
Original gravity P: 10,6 Residual sugar wt %: 2,0 %
Color EBC: 10
Hop Bitterness EBU: 27
Alcohol 4,6%

Apparently available in UK too, and well worth a try.

A second Pistonhead brew, 'Flat Tire' not to my liking - tasted too strongly of grapefruit.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Lager of choice something called 'Pistonhead Kustom Lager'. Cheap as chips from the state offy, in 330ml cans and really, really good.

http://www.pistonheadlager.com/

Apparently available in UK too, and well worth a try.

A second Pistonhead brew, 'Flat Tire' not to my liking - tasted too strongly of grapefruit.

They sell Pistonhead in Asda.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
I appreciate that Hop House 13 probably doesn't qualify as it's brewed by Guinness, but on draft it's a decent hoppy pint imho, and I say that as someone who would never typically drink lager, preferring craft ale.
I tried HH13 in The Cricks, Hove. Loved it. I used to scoff at all these craft beers as being poncey without actually trying one. I love Punk IPA too. Much more taste than ya standard lagers. I'm a changed man 🍺

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Lager of choice something called 'Pistonhead Kustom Lager'. Cheap as chips from the state offy

I'll look out for that. I travel to Sweden upwards of 3 to 4 times a year and the price of beer is so eyewateringly steep that you need to get pissed just to forget about it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll look out for that. I travel to Sweden upwards of 3 to 4 times a year and the price of beer is so eyewateringly steep that you need to get pissed just to forget about it.

I was in Stockholm a month ago and went here; check out http://www.omnipolloshatt.com for some cutting edge and experimental craft.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I tried HH13 in The Cricks, Hove. Loved it. I used to scoff at all these craft beers as being poncey without actually trying one. I love Punk IPA too. Much more taste than ya standard lagers. I'm a changed man ��

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here