Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Deliveroo. What do they actually do?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
one of the houses near us has few of them living there and they charge around the place on their scooters etc all hours. Its like living in downtown dubrovnik.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Slaveroo, indeed. I get all that but will have to chat to the staff at Olive Road to find out what's happening inside. I don't think the food is collected from the restaurants but is stored chilled and then heated inside the Saxon works depot before being sent out. Ready meals, perhaps?

I'd be very surprised if that is the case. Over here we have Foodora and Uber Eats who offer the same service. I often see them going in to the restaurants to collect the orders.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
By all accounts these delivery services take a fair cut of the food order from the restaurant/takeaway who find they have little choice but to be on these platforms as they miss out if they're not. A bit of a horrible catch-22 that's only going to get better if people understand that using these services could be putting their favourite eatery at risk.

It would strike me as strange that Deliveroo had their own kitchen cooking/heating food under the name of other restaurants. Another reason to avoid, surely?

You won't hear the owners of Chill Pickle or Moshimo or their local suppliers complaining at the minute, the business plan must be to cut the restaurants out of the chain at some point though?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You won't hear the owners of Chill Pickle or Moshimo or their local suppliers complaining at the minute,

I'm sure the more 'premium' restaurants have sufficient margin in their pricing to make Deliveroo etc a more workable proposition. Some of the more generic places probably see it differently.

the business plan must be to cut the restaurants out of the chain at some point though?

Indeed. Keep all the premium offerings but mop up a lot of the more basic requests internally.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Uber Eats and Foodora over here are MASSIVE.

I have no idea about the business model/margins, but ordering take away food from a decent restaurant if you're having some mates over is bloody great. It's better than a regular Chinese but not as expensive as going out for a meal.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Deliveroo is everywhere, you can hardly walk for ten seconds in central London without seeing a deliveroo bike pedalling past.

Only ever used it once to give it a chance, unfortunately, living on a hill almost killed the poor bloke, out of guilt I gave him a large tip. However I wouldn't recommend it for one second, the food was lukewarm because the guy took so long riding his bicycle, and for the price it was extremely underwhelming. Just do it the old fashioned way and go to the restaurant yourself.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

I have no idea about the business model/margins, but ordering take away food from a decent restaurant if you're having some mates over is bloody great. It's better than a regular Chinese but not as expensive as going out for a meal.

I agree. Many of the places on deliveroo (in Brighton at last) will use good local suppliers (Moshimo the best example of this) unlike the shit in a tray merchants that used to dominate the food delivery business.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
One of the problems with Deliveroo is that the rider has only a small window to delivery in, time-wise. This is the main reason you see them cycling like twats and going through red lights. The job is not conducive to safe/sensible riding.

Cue 'all cyclists jump red lights' from the usual hard of thinking...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Where do you live in Stockholm*, Tom?

I'd been before a couple of times for work, but had no time to explore. But, just back from 4 nights (at the Clarion Sign hotel) with the family. So impressed. What a bloody fabulous city.

Will definitely be coming back.

*I've got you down as a bit ARTY / HIPSTER, so I'm going to guess at Sodermalm....

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
the question is why you aren't referring to the existing businesses that do this, the kebab shop with casual delivery driver or the cabbies renting a car/radio to anyone with a drivers license. why does an objection only get raised when its a large, high profile company. all those smaller businesses should be employing their staff and paying taxes properly too, some reason this doesn't get mentioned.

Ah I see. Yes that's a good point. The honest answer is because those people are much more work to point the finger at!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I do use deliveroo once or twice a month, food isn't that great but it will suffice a hangover. Got a KFC delivered on new years day (15 mins away) took 2.5 hours, girl turned up on a bike soaking wet almost crying, gave her a tip, chucked the lot in the bin, and unknowingly was giving 25 quid credit for the cock up

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Where do you live in Stockholm*, Tom?

I'd been before a couple of times for work, but had no time to explore. But, just back from 4 nights (at the Clarion Sign hotel) with the family. So impressed. What a bloody fabulous city.

Will definitely be coming back.

*I've got you down as a bit ARTY / HIPSTER, so I'm going to guess at Sodermalm....

Sodermalm is very nice, but no I'm over in Gothenburg actually which is about 300 miles away. Go up for work every month though and love the city. I don't think I've been to a place with as many good places to eat. Hope your wallet is ok after 4 days there! :ohmy:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't like the way they treat staff and I think the delivery staff are poorly trained and frankly dangerous on the road. I refuse to support the rise in this model of employment. Basically using humans like drones.
It's the reason I don't shop with Amazon anymore. These companies hasten the collapse of society.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
OK. My thread title didn't get my point across. I have found out that Deliveroo Editions is what I'm talking about not the Deliveroo courier service. In the Saxon Works building Olive Road a number of chefs from Brighton Restaurants prepare food for delivery.
We have Thaikhun, The Chilli Pickle, Moshimo, Gourmet Burger Kitchen and VIP Pizza all prepared over the road from Screwfix and Brewers Paints. I'd have thought they would be ready meals waiting in a chiller. Meals on wheels.
https://foodscene.deliveroo.co.uk/promotions/deliveroo-editions.html

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here