Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Deliveroo. What do they actually do?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
thats it in a nutshell. however they are also branching into doing their own food, hence the kitchen in Hove. presumably you'll have Deliveroo branded menus in the Hove area.

The Hove depot only does Moshimo, VIP pizza, GBK and Chillie Pickle.

Parts of Hove are still limited with Deliveroo

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sounds Great! (not the paying peanuts bit).

My view didn't go down to well when I mentioned it to the missus who'd ordered a burger and chips from place a few blocks away.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Purely as a hypothetical point - and it goes without saying that I in no way would endorse any such hypothetical arrangements obviously - does Uncle Sam's deliver? :unclesam:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Spoke to a local company here in T Wells who use Deliveroo. They are charged 40% of the order value by Deliveroo (who process the order payment) and they charge delivery to the customer on top.

He claims to be with them purely for the exposure it gives them - but doesn't encourage customers to use it because they make no money.

But this kind of intermediation is massive in so many industries now - travel, holidays, finance, food - it won't go away. Seems people generally prefer to go to one place and have the choice of ordering from all their favourite places. The take aways and customers have fed these beasts - eventually we'll py the price (fewer independent take aways, less choice) and the intermediaries will start creaming off the premium value by offering their own-brand burger, fish and chips, pizza etc.

Support your independents directly or loser them kids!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Spoke to a local company here in T Wells who use Deliveroo. They are charged 40% of the order value by Deliveroo (who process the order payment) and they charge delivery to the customer on top.

He claims to be with them purely for the exposure it gives them - but doesn't encourage customers to use it because they make no money.

But this kind of intermediation is massive in so many industries now - travel, holidays, finance, food - it won't go away. Seems people generally prefer to go to one place and have the choice of ordering from all their favourite places. The take aways and customers have fed these beasts - eventually we'll py the price (fewer independent take aways, less choice) and the intermediaries will start creaming off the premium value by offering their own-brand burger, fish and chips, pizza etc.

Support your independents directly or loser them kids!!

I'll mention this to the missus at an appropriate moment.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not have to pay national minimum wage, income tax, national insurance or sick pay because all their staff are apparently "self-employed".

Gig rip-off economy.

Same old, same old these days. Getting very sick of all these 'successful' companies with bosses who are lauded as some type of genius, when the major secret of their prosperity is ignoring the regulations and taxes which more traditional businesses honour. Anyone can make a killing if they don't pay their staff properly (i.e. the people that are making them wealthy). A bit like all the landlords who think they're high-flying business people because they make gigantic profits, while their tenants live in homes not fit for habitation.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As far as I can see no-one eats out in restaurants or cooks at home in Brighton any more - the streets are teeming with Deliveroo deliverers of all shapes and sizes and on all manner of road-going contraptions.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Blimey they must be delivering class 'A' drugs..........:smokin:

Well, the Tunbridge Wells Deliveroo drivers 'base' is the Great Hall Car Park by Calverly Grounds. In the bay opposite there are nearly always a couple of guys out of their head on something or another. Perhaps you are on to something.

Joking aside, it's starting to get ridiculous how many of these 'companies' there are that don't have real employees. As mentioned above, they are just dodging a massive amount of cost and exposing the worker to all of the risks. As well as shafting the workers, it's also giving them an unfair advantage to 'proper' companies.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Joking aside, it's starting to get ridiculous how many of these 'companies' there are that don't have real employees. As mentioned above, they are just dodging a massive amount of cost and exposing the worker to all of the risks. As well as shafting the workers, it's also giving them an unfair advantage to 'proper' companies.

what exactly are "these companies"? seems to me a broad brush being applied to a range of different businesses, while overlooking the long established practices they are replicating, which apparently no one notices or objects to.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Just opened some kitchen sort of place in Olive Road, Hove. Lots of workers and extractor fans. You can order food from Moshimo, Chilli Pickle, Gourmet Burger Kitchen. How does it work?

Well, the Tunbridge Wells Deliveroo drivers 'base' is the Great Hall Car Park by Calverly Grounds. In the bay opposite there are nearly always a couple of guys out of their head on something or another. Perhaps you are on to something.

what exactly are "these companies"? seems to me a broad brush being applied to a range of different businesses, while overlooking the long established practices they are replicating, which apparently no one notices or objects to.

Deliveroo

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

I'm referring to companies like Deliveroo and Uber, who don't actually employ many people. I accept that you perform work by choice, but the fact is that all of these people need to ensure they are properly insured and are paying the appropriate taxes. Obviously they are never referred to as 'workers', since they don't work for Deliveroo. They are 'riders' or 'independent suppliers'. They don't wear a uniform (which they have to buy of course). They wear 'branded clothing. They don't have holidays, they simply inform their customer (Deliveroo) of their 'schedule of unavailability'.

I'm sure many are happy to get fit whilst making money, so it's all fair enough in a way. They (along with Uber) are providing a service to end users and enabling some people to make a bit of cash. But since they are a middle-man and taking a cut, it tends to be at the expense of someone else.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Slaveroo, indeed. I get all that but will have to chat to the staff at Olive Road to find out what's happening inside. I don't think the food is collected from the restaurants but is stored chilled and then heated inside the Saxon works depot before being sent out. Ready meals, perhaps?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm referring to companies like Deliveroo and Uber, who don't actually employ many people.

the question is why you aren't referring to the existing businesses that do this, the kebab shop with casual delivery driver or the cabbies renting a car/radio to anyone with a drivers license. why does an objection only get raised when its a large, high profile company. all those smaller businesses should be employing their staff and paying taxes properly too, some reason this doesn't get mentioned.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Slaveroo, indeed. I get all that but will have to chat to the staff at Olive Road to find out what's happening inside. I don't think the food is collected from the restaurants but is stored chilled and then heated inside the Saxon works depot before being sent out. Ready meals, perhaps?

Chilli Pickle have a totally different kitchen for their Deliveroo/Takeaway offerings at their central Brighton location, than they do for their stuff going in to the restaurant proper. I thought this new location would actually have a kitchen tbh.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I had assumed that Deliveroo was a Brighton-only version of the likes of Just Eat and Hungry House, since I'd only ever seen the riders around Brighton and, as others have said, aren't there a load of them?

This thread had me look a bit deeper and they are in other places too. I've never used one of these services. It's not often we get a takeaway but if we do I just go and get it myself. Our Indian of choice is a short walk away and the Thai we like is about a 10-minute drive. Maybe that would be different if Worthing had the variety of choice that Brighton does, but I doubt it.

By all accounts these delivery services take a fair cut of the food order from the restaurant/takeaway who find they have little choice but to be on these platforms as they miss out if they're not. A bit of a horrible catch-22 that's only going to get better if people understand that using these services could be putting their favourite eatery at risk.

It would strike me as strange that Deliveroo had their own kitchen cooking/heating food under the name of other restaurants. Another reason to avoid, surely?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here