Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber and the club have lost me as a customer today

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agreed, particularly when affordability is further enhanced with the interest free direct debit payment option.

I fully sympathise with those who are wondering how they'll be able to afford watching the Albion now. If I didn't have a season ticket, I'm not sure how many games I'd get to.

Funny really, I have been lucky enough to hold a season ticket at the Albion ever since the mid 1980's. In those days a season ticket was for a select few, nowadays the vast majority of home fans at the Amex have one. How times have changed.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Have to sympathize. For anyone who either can't afford a ST, or is in circumstances where it simply makes no sense if you can only get to 4/5 matches a season through work or other commitments, then getting to see the Albion this season is going to be both very difficult and very expensive as a one-off purchase.

I'm not going to lie, it does grate that having watched the team 30-35 times a season in League Two I now will struggle to get a ticket in the Premier League - but you can't moan or dwell on it, the club has moved on both on and off the pitch, it has been a great few seasons, and this is what success looks like.

For me £45 will always be too much for a single football league match, and I am concerned about fans and families being priced out - but Brighton are not the worst offenders, and I genuinely believe that efforts have been made at board level to keep that figure down. With such a small supply of individual match tickets, they could have charged more and no doubt sold them to some well-off JCLs.

But you do what you have to to see your team. When I am not working I will do my best, have joined the Bronze and YSPlus for my kids, will be on the case when the on-sale dates come around and hope for the best and treasure those 4/5/6 days and occasions when I am lucky enough to get tickets. They will mean a lot.
Similar circumstances to you. When we do manage to get a ticket it'll be a special occasion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sadly there will be plenty of long time fans who won't be able to afford to go even if tickets were available.

wonkydog

Feb 4, 2010
Brighton
While I have sympathy for your predicament, I would have thought that supporting one of the two Bristol clubs would be preferable to fretting about Albion tickets. I have always had an enjoyable time when visiting Eastville, or the Memorial stadium when watching Brighton away to Bristol Rovers (the food is better there); but obviously the standard of football is better at City, and the Ashton Gate ground is more comfortable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not to see the same act every week though, presumably?

Nope.....just like football opponents. My point being is that people who are into music/live music do go to a lot of gigs.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
If they did not put them up then they would not be able to reduce them if we are relegated. If they don't reduce the price then people will say "I am not paying as much for lesser quality product"

I feel a bit sorry for the matchday staff. Fewer day's work for them.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What I don't understand with this is why Barber is the one getting it in the neck from the OP?

Do people honestly not think that Tony has the final say so on things? It just seems that when there is credit to be handed out it all goes to Tony, but any blame lands at Barber's feet.

Tony will want to get some of his money back I guess.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What I don't understand with this is why Barber is the one getting it in the neck from the OP?

Indeed. Whatever people think, we got to the PL on the cheap through careful spending and innovative income generation. No smashing FFP like Leicester, QPR & B-Muff. No 'shit or bust' signings like Rhodes to Boro. Barber has been brilliant.

I sympathise with those who will struggle with the new prices (I am lucky enough to have a ST that did not increase too much) but the real culprits are the FA & FIFA. Until they cap player and agent salaries and fees, the prices will continue to rise. Barber & TB are just running the club prudently and making hay whilst the sun shines as they should, I want all debts paid off if possible acknowledging the debt to Tony will probably take a generation to clear.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Not to see the same act every week though, presumably?

Some West End shows charge £120 for a ticket. That's equivalent to 3 Premier League games at the Albion?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'll still consider myself a fan of the club, but I won't be taken for a mug.

I'm not expecting sympathy, I'm not angry or even surprised by this announcement; I thought it was inevitable really. I've supported Brighton since I was pretty young, I've never seriously entertained supporting anybody else, I've been going to games home and away for years now. I'm no super-fan, there are many better but I would say I've been pretty dedicated to the cause.

I live in Bristol and have not long graduated from university so I don't have bundles of spare cash lying around, which means getting a season ticket is out of the question. For the last few seasons I have done my best to attend as many games as money and time have allowed me to, purchasing tickets on the day or borrowing season tickets when possible. I had, quite naturally hoped to carry on doing this for the forthcoming season but unfortunately my worst fears have been confirmed.

The bottom line for me is that I refuse to potentially pay a minimum of £45 to watch a football match, ever. I don't care who it is against or when we might next play them again, I don't care whether or not it is 'reasonable' relative to what the London clubs charge. £45 for two hours when it is something that happens on most weekends of the year is not something I will accept. I won't attend the lower category games because I refuse to be implicit in this brazen price-gouging.

Looks as though I will be becoming one of those armchair fans I've derided for so long.

:shrug:

Price of being in the Premier League unfortunately, If you can't afford it there's always somebody else who can.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It's the living in Bristol bit that doesn't help, more expensive for me from Plymouth.
Although quite expensive £45 is not too bad for. PL match I suppose.
But the cost of the whole day really hurts.
Fuel or train, food and drink (on the way up, there, and trip back)
Probably looking at £200. Can't justify that.
I cannot plan my matches either, it really is a case that on Wednesday I can say that I can go Saturday.
Been like it for some time and I hate it, especially those big games last season.
At least I have Argyle with 2 corporate season tickets, it's not a bad substitution actually but not the same.

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
I'm a life long Brighton fan now live in Shropshire, I'm ok with the £45 adult ticket but from £25 for my 8 year old compared to £10 last season is a huge jump. Trying to justify spending over £200 to watch a football match to my wife is going to be difficult

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I'd like to book a round the world cruise but guess what, I can't afford it.
I can afford a season ticket in East Upper coz I've worked non fecking stop since 1973 - first week wages £10.00
I'd like to do a lot of things now I'm getting older but can't do a lot of them.
Who can I complain to :moo:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I can't justify a season ticket as I can't commit to every game and it's too expensive.

Last year I tended to choose one game a month, either home or away, so I got to see some games. I'm resigned to how much it costs now. I should be able to get home tickets this year but am sad I will miss away matches.

Still, I have access to Sky and BT Sport and the good old tranny. Not a lot has changed except the genuine joy of a trip saved up for to a northern outpost.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Whilst I agree it is pricey it is hardly the club's fault and more the business of modern football that is to blame. Even tickets to National League South (what was the conference south) are at least £12 each. So it's pricey all the way down. Wished it was like Bundesliga where even top flight teams only charge about €15 for tickets.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here