Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber and the club have lost me as a customer today

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Hang about you say "For the last few seasons I have done my best to attend as many games as money and time have allowed.." Whats really changed, sure the prices are higher, but doesn't this just means you attend fewer games? You have limited funds so you pick your games more carefully! Seems to me you are biting off your nose to spite your face!

I agree. It's not just a modern thing.
I started watching the Albion in 1961, when my Dad paid on the gate. We didn't go to every match, because he was in the Navy, & not always home on leave.
Fast forward to leaving school, getting a job, & paying 1/6 on the gate. Then I joined the forces, married & moved up north. Sometimes I only went to one game a season at the Goldstone after that, but went to local games when Brighton played there.
When I had children they became the priority, as money was tight, so it dwindled to local away games.
Fast forward again to kids leaving home, and money becoming plentiful again, and being able to travel. I finally got a season ticket at Withdean, and held one since. Fortunately now I get OAP prices which helps as I'm now retired.

You have choices in life, prices always go up, so it depends how you want to spend your money.

Ps 1/6 is 7.5p in today's money

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Wrong, wrong, wrong - it does not reward spending at all !! Some of our overseas supporters could spend hundreds on a flight and accommodation to get to watch a game or spend £500 in the club shop - neither of these will earn you any loyalty points under the current points allocation rules.

The supermarket comparison is also stupid - can you imagine your local Sainsburys telling you at the entrance that you can't come in their shop today because you've not shopped enough here in the past.

You are confusing the rationing of tickets part with the accumulation of reward points part. The supermarket doesn't need to ration because it is never full. Likewise a supermarket doesn't give extra reward points for distance travelled anymore than a football club can. I live in Suffolk and that's my choice. I also have a season ticket at the Albion. I would think it absurd if the club were to consider me more worthy of tickets than a Brighton based fan purely because of the choice I have made as to where I live.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Can't be bothered to read the entire thread but would the opening poster think differently if he was wealthy ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For the last few seasons I have done my best to attend as many games as money and time have allowed me to, purchasing tickets on the day or borrowing season tickets when possible.
Husty what's stopping you borrowing season tickets this year?
That's what I'm wondering. Has their been an announcement describing how we'll no longer be able to use friends' tickets?

Or perhaps Husty has simply pissed everyone off and run out of friends :shrug:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
And I wouldn't pay that either, but I'm sure you realise the difference between paying a lot of money to attend a big one off event versus paying £45 every other week to go see the Albion :dunce:

What a load of tripe.

el punal

To put this into some sort of context I checked out the Southampton ticket prices for a comparison. Being a similar sized club in size of ground, average attendance, catchment area and a Southern based outfit the results are unsurprisingly similar.

For Category A games their prices range from £40 to £52. For Category B games the prices range from £32 to £46. They do not have a Category C status.

The Albion's prices start at : Category A - £45, Category B - £35, Category C - £30.

How both these sets of prices compare with other Premier League clubs I don't know. Perhaps London based clubs are cheaper than Northern ones?

Another point, as many have commented, is that it is a case of supply and demand. Now that we have reached the land of milk and honey those of us fortunate enough to have a season ticket are reaping the rewards price wise. With a waiting list of 6000 for STs and match day tickets scarce on the ground I can only sympathise with those Albion fans "left out". But really, this was always going to be the case. For the last few years, in fact since we moved to the Amex, the number of season ticket holders for the size and status of the club has been extraordinarily high. The writing was on the wall that it was going to be a case of when, not if, that the Albion would be a Premier League outfit. So, because of this scenario, many fans banked on this and purchased season tickets accordingly and are now in clover. C'est la vie. The losers, unfortunately, are those like the OP and other fans who have chosen to attend games on an ad hoc basis - and the result? They are paying the price - literally.

One other comment that I would like to make in comparison to Southampton. I know many Saints fans who are now relinquishing their season tickets (or have already done so) and are now buying tickets on a match by match basis. Why? Perhaps it's been the poor quality of performances at home games, or maybe the attraction of being in the Premier League has worn off?

I also wonder if their club is looking at what the Albion have achieved in attracting fans with a bit of green eyed envy.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
To be honest the money gained by bumping these tickets up has to be pretty marginal when compared to the sky money so not sure why the club is 'screwing over' fans is, I can't see it is good for the club long-term.

Owner who's put in millions after millions is screwing over fans for tickets he can sell twice over. FFS get real.

All you lot moaning I bet you still f@@k off on holiday each year spending hundreds. Don't go on holiday and spend it on following your team just like many others. Get over yourselves.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Wrong, wrong, wrong - it does not reward spending at all !! Some of our overseas supporters could spend hundreds on a flight and accommodation to get to watch a game or spend £500 in the club shop - neither of these will earn you any loyalty points under the current points allocation rules.

The supermarket comparison is also stupid - can you imagine your local Sainsburys telling you at the entrance that you can't come in their shop today because you've not shopped enough here in the past.

So because you live no where near the team you support you should get extra priority, your choice to live where you do, tough.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Owner who's put in millions after millions is screwing over fans for tickets he can sell twice over. FFS get real.

All you lot moaning I bet you still f@@k off on holiday each year spending hundreds. Don't go on holiday and spend it on following your team just like many others. Get over yourselves.

Goodness me a well thought through argument there, well done sir. :thumbsup: :dunce:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If they've lost a good customer, then yes they should. He might not be the only one.

I don't for one minute think they have.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
The Club is changing rapidly and is now a very different commercial animal to the one we left behind at Withdean. With that has come success on the field and commercial nouse is a pre requisite.

However I am concerned about how the Club (led by Barber who is CEO and has no interest in the fans, only money - which is his job) is becoming increasingly authoritarian and treating the fans as children/money pots or even an inconvenience. However the problem is that because we are fans we simply roll over because the love of our team comes first.

But what I cant stand is when someone has the temerity to question the club on tickets prices, season ticket rules, catering, 1901 terms or whatever, certain people immediately turn on the fan in question. The Club are not always right and we all fought to have a club that listens and respects the fans. I'm not necessarily saying that BHAFC doesn't respect its fans but some are clearly feeling less connected and even disillusioned. This should be a concern to us all and if necessary we should be willing to hold the Club to account.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I am sure you will remain loyal to the cause.......Remember for a number of years we have been expected to do well. This year we are expected to do badly ,and hopefully stay up.......! A good number of the 30000 are not used to that.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I'd like to book a round the world cruise but guess what, I can't afford it.
I can afford a season ticket in East Upper coz I've worked non fecking stop since 1973 - first week wages £10.00
I'd like to do a lot of things now I'm getting older but can't do a lot of them.
Who can I complain to :moo:

Paul barber :jester:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Goodness me a well thought through argument there, well done sir. :thumbsup: :dunce:

Better thought out than yours. I want to watch my team home and away, my children the same. They understand that I can't afford to go on holidays and also afford to travel around the country watching footie. They forego the holidays, when incidentally they hike the prices during the school holidays so as to make the most of supply and demand, the devils.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
To put this into some sort of context I checked out the Southampton ticket prices for a comparison. Being a similar sized club in size of ground, average attendance, catchment area and a Southern based outfit the results are unsurprisingly similar.

For Category A games their prices range from £40 to £52. For Category B games the prices range from £32 to £46. They do not have a Category C status.

The Albion's prices start at : Category A - £45, Category B - £35, Category C - £30.

How both these sets of prices compare with other Premier League clubs I don't know. Perhaps London based clubs are cheaper than Northern ones?

Another point, as many have commented, is that it is a case of supply and demand. Now that we have reached the land of milk and honey those of us fortunate enough to have a season ticket are reaping the rewards price wise. With a waiting list of 6000 for STs and match day tickets scarce on the ground I can only sympathise with those Albion fans "left out". But really, this was always going to be the case. For the last few years, in fact since we moved to the Amex, the number of season ticket holders for the size and status of the club has been extraordinarily high. The writing was on the wall that it was going to be a case of when, not if, that the Albion would be a Premier League outfit. So, because of this scenario, many fans banked on this and purchased season tickets accordingly and are now in clover. C'est la vie. The losers, unfortunately, are those like the OP and other fans who have chosen to attend games on an ad hoc basis - and the result? They are paying the price - literally.

One other comment that I would like to make in comparison to Southampton. I know many Saints fans who are now relinquishing their season tickets (or have already done so) and are now buying tickets on a match by match basis. Why? Perhaps it's been the poor quality of performances at home games, or maybe the attraction of being in the Premier League has worn off?

I also wonder if their club is looking at what the Albion have achieved in attracting fans with a bit of green eyed envy.

Attendances will drop after the first season. Some only like watching a winning team, and the novelty of the 'big' teams will soon wear off. It happened in 79-83 and it will happen again.

el punal

Attendances will drop after the first season. Some only like watching a winning team, and the novelty of the 'big' teams will soon wear off. It happened in 79-83 and it will happen again.

Possibly. Didn't many predict the same thing when we moved to the Amex. Personally, I just feel Albion fans are a loyal bunch and will stick with it. Time will tell.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here