Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber and the club have lost me as a customer today

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So. If you haven't had Sky sports for 12 months and know someone who works for Sky the absolute best deal you can get is Sky q box plus Sports, movies and all the usual channels (not BT sport and no phone or broadband) for 35 quid a month. You can haggle them down to 50 quid a month with the I'm off to Virgin media routine.

I wish. Virgin not available where I am so need to stick with Sky if I want decent sports coverage. Costs me about £150 a month, but we get a lot of use out of it (football, cricket and golf primarily for me, plus movies for us all - 3 boxes, two of them HD and broadband pro/telephone included). I've tried the 'I'm leaving' call but they know I can't move to another provider so it didn't work. BT subscription is extra of course. I think it's ok value.....but the fact so much goes on PL wages grates a bit.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I wish. Virgin not available where I am so need to stick with Sky if I want decent sports coverage. Costs me about £150 a month, but we get a lot of use out of it (football, cricket and golf primarily for me, plus movies for us all - 3 boxes, two of them HD and broadband pro/telephone included). I've tried the 'I'm leaving' call but they know I can't move to another provider so it didn't work. BT subscription is extra of course. I think it's ok value.....but the fact so much goes on PL wages grates a bit.

Ouch.

I'm currently paying 50 quid for the telly and 30 quid for phone and BB. Sky basically price matched VM who were throwing in BT sport and another box (for a year until the prices go up of course). I did genuinely want to shift but VM were an absolute dogs breakfast and I gave up with them. I also deal with them through work and they are proper shithouse all round.

Until I complained I was paying well over a ton with sky but it was only during the cancellation period that half decent offers appeared. That said, I'm not sure I can be doing with the hassle of the cancellation cherade in a years time. It was a genuine ball ache all round.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ouch.

I'm currently paying 50 quid for the telly and 30 quid for phone and BB. Sky basically price matched VM who were throwing in BT sport and another box (for a year until the prices go up of course). I did genuinely want to shift but VM were an absolute dogs breakfast and I gave up with them. I also deal with them through work and they are proper shithouse all round.

Until I complained I was paying well over a ton with sky but it was only during the cancellation period that half decent offers appeared. That said, I'm not sure I can be doing with the hassle of the cancellation cherade in a years time. It was a genuine ball ache all round.

Given the cost, I think I might be prepared to go through the ballache once, but with no viable alternative to switch to not much I can do as I wouldn't want to be without the channels in either summer or winter. Pretty sure I'd be similar though - unfortunately these companies relay on customer inertia to a large degree. Same applies to insurance, bank accounts etc.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
And it was 'Simmo Says' who was querying the cost. The post you quoted was one where I was replying to someone who didn't understand that people cam have different concepts of what constitutes value for money.

That isn't what my post was about at all.

You were complaining about the cost to go and see a Premier League football match whilst also commenting that you subscribed to Sky Sports. You seem to have no comprehension that one of those things (ie the cost of attending a football match) is directly related to the other (ie the amount of money that is pumped into the game by Sky Sports, which they are only able to do because of you and your fellow subscribers).

In other words, given that you DO subscribe to Sky Sports, your moan about the cost of a Brighton match ticket is hypocritical.

I've nothing against you personally [MENTION=177]Brovion[/MENTION], and there will be many on this board who are Sky subscribers who will also moan about changed kick-off times, exorbitant ticket prices and the like, as if there is no connection between the two things.

When all is said and done, you've only got yourselves to blame, haven't you?

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
there will be many on this board who are Sky subscribers who will also moan about changed kick-off times, exorbitant ticket prices and the like, as if there is no connection between the two things.

Good points. I must admit that I'd never previously given this thought.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I was similar until a few months ago. You can serve 30 days notice but still remain at any time within the 30 days. So basically cancel the contract and you'll keep getting offers loaded onto your sky box, letters, calls etc... but best results are if you negotiate over their Online chat. I am similar with no Virgin etc and was out of contract but basically went for £120 to £55 for 12 month contract. There is a long thread on Hotdealsuk where people share what deals they've managed to get and you can usually use that as a benchmark as to how to negotiate.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/75-o...ific-number-3-weeks-1741671?page=147#comments

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I'll still consider myself a fan of the club, but I won't be taken for a mug.

I'm not expecting sympathy, I'm not angry or even surprised by this announcement; I thought it was inevitable really. I've supported Brighton since I was pretty young, I've never seriously entertained supporting anybody else, I've been going to games home and away for years now. I'm no super-fan, there are many better but I would say I've been pretty dedicated to the cause.

I live in Bristol and have not long graduated from university so I don't have bundles of spare cash lying around, which means getting a season ticket is out of the question. For the last few seasons I have done my best to attend as many games as money and time have allowed me to, purchasing tickets on the day or borrowing season tickets when possible. I had, quite naturally hoped to carry on doing this for the forthcoming season but unfortunately my worst fears have been confirmed.

The bottom line for me is that I refuse to potentially pay a minimum of £45 to watch a football match, ever. I don't care who it is against or when we might next play them again, I don't care whether or not it is 'reasonable' relative to what the London clubs charge. £45 for two hours when it is something that happens on most weekends of the year is not something I will accept. I won't attend the lower category games because I refuse to be implicit in this brazen price-gouging.

Looks as though I will be becoming one of those armchair fans I've derided for so long.

:shrug:

OK I offer you an alternative scenario: the same rail fare from Bristol, same costs for beer/food, etc. but you can pay £25 to see Albion play Stevenage, Morecombe or Accrington at Withdean in League 2 with no roof over your head. Would that be more acceptable to you?

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was similar until a few months ago. You can serve 30 days notice but still remain at any time within the 30 days. So basically cancel the contract and you'll keep getting offers loaded onto your sky box, letters, calls etc... but best results are if you negotiate over their Online chat. I am similar with no Virgin etc and was out of contract but basically went for £120 to £55 for 12 month contract. There is a long thread on Hotdealsuk where people share what deals they've managed to get and you can usually use that as a benchmark as to how to negotiate.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/75-o...ific-number-3-weeks-1741671?page=147#comments
Thanks. Tried this about a year ago, was online chatting for about an hour but didn't get any movement. Will do a bit TV more research and maybe have another go.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Thanks. Tried this about a year ago, was online chatting for about an hour but didn't get any movement. Will do a bit TV more research and maybe have another go.

If you just want no hassle, but to save about 15% on Sky TV, then cancel online. Before you actually get to the cancelling button, it asks you "Are you sure?", then "No really, are you absolutely sure?", then it offers you 15% discount for a year if you stay. It takes 2 minutes, you don't have to talk to anyone. I'm sure you could do better if you called them, but many people don't want the hassle of the call.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you just want no hassle, but to save about 15% on Sky TV, then cancel online. Before you actually get to the cancelling button, it asks you "Are you sure?", then "No really, are you absolutely sure?", then it offers you 15% discount for a year if you stay. It takes 2 minutes, you don't have to talk to anyone. I'm sure you could do better if you called them, but many people don't want the hassle of the call.

It's a funny old game of cat and mouse.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

You were complaining about the cost to go and see a Premier League football match whilst also commenting that you subscribed to Sky Sports. You seem to have no comprehension that one of those things (ie the cost of attending a football match) is directly related to the other (ie the amount of money that is pumped into the game by Sky Sports, which they are only able to do because of you and your fellow subscribers).

In other words, given that you DO subscribe to Sky Sports, your moan about the cost of a Brighton match ticket is hypocritical.

I've nothing against you personally [MENTION=177]Brovion[/MENTION], and there will be many on this board who are Sky subscribers who will also moan about changed kick-off times, exorbitant ticket prices and the like, as if there is no connection between the two things.

Why would tickets be cheaper if Sky put less money into football ???

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003

Eh? I'm really not following you. You are now utterly wrong and it's you who 'has no comprehension'. The price of football match tickets is to do with market forces, nothing to do how much Sky pay. Sky's only 'crime' is to have made football popular taking it away from its old largely male and working class roots and thus contributing to those market forces.

The simple fact is the tickets are priced at the level they are because people are prepared to pay those prices. Why do they pay them? If your answer to that is "Because they've been brainwashed by Murdoch into thinking it's worth paying that", then fair enough, I kinda agree. However if you're saying "They're that high because Sky give the clubs vast amounts of money", then you have zero understanding of economics. The argument doesn't even make sense.

To try and prove that: I''m paying £140 for two tickets to watch the Cleveland Browns at Twickenham. Again those tickets are priced at that level because of the demand, pure and simple.It's nothing to do with how much Sky pay the NFL!

So the bottom line is: if people don't like the prices - don't pay them! As I said it's down to personal choice and value for money. Like my Browns tickets I'm happy paying for the occasional Albion match ticket as a special treat.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Ticket pricing looking rather optimistic this morning. I might email barber in a month or two when we've scored no goals and are rooted to the bottom of the table and see whether he wants to offer me an apology and a discount so I can consider returning

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Why would tickets be cheaper if Sky put less money into football ???

Players wages got out of control when tv money started pouring in. Nobody needs more than £5K a week.
That's a good wage in anybody's book. Clubs want the best players, agents inflate the prices, and it's a vicious circle.
Even 10 years ago, there were players who didn't use, or need agents.
Agents take billions out of football, which never gets put back in.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Players wages got out of control when tv money started pouring in. Nobody needs more than £5K a week.
That's a good wage in anybody's book. Clubs want the best players, agents inflate the prices, and it's a vicious circle.

Players deserve more than 5k due to the billions clubs and leagues make out of their talents and images.

We pay Knocky a fair wage each week and that then allows us to use his name and image as a marketing and sales tool which we can raise a lot of revenue from even though he might not get a piece of that pie as part of that wage structure.

Gary Hart's Stalker

Jul 17, 2013
Gary Hart's Bush
Ticket pricing looking rather optimistic this morning. I might email barber in a month or two when we've scored no goals and are rooted to the bottom of the table and see whether he wants to offer me an apology and a discount so I can consider returning

Please make sure to post his reply in full. Can't wait to see that!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I just got an e-mail offering me a hospitality package for the Newcastle game. Without dining/wining the price of a 1901 seat from which to watch Brighton v Newcastle at The Amex is valued at £96...

£1 per minute to see Knocky and the boys seems quite reasonable.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Do you need what you earn? If clubs are willing to pay and can afford the figures they do pay to get the services of the players they want then 'need' is irrelevant.

TV money may well allow clubs to afford the wages they pay but I do not see the correlation between TV money, players wages and ticket prices.

The real argument surely is that TV has made the game far more popular and provided the resources to vastly improve stadia. This of course has created a greater demand for tickets at the top level but even so only a limited number of clubs can claim sell outs for every match. it's difficult to argue that increasing the popularity of the game and improving venues is a 'bad' thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here