Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber and the club have lost me as a customer today

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'm guessing the majority who aren't complaining about forking out near on £50 for a game of football are ST holders who don't care as they aren't paying it. If your so worried about paying TB's money back then why not complain that your season ticket is to cheap and offer to pay more? None of you will so don't slag fans that are being fleeced to watch their team.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
To put this into some sort of context I checked out the Southampton ticket prices for a comparison. Being a similar sized club in size of ground, average attendance, catchment area and a Southern based outfit the results are unsurprisingly similar.

For Category A games their prices range from £40 to £52. For Category B games the prices range from £32 to £46. They do not have a Category C status.

The Albion's prices start at : Category A - £45, Category B - £35, Category C - £30.

How both these sets of prices compare with other Premier League clubs I don't know. Perhaps London based clubs are cheaper than Northern ones?

Another point, as many have commented, is that it is a case of supply and demand. Now that we have reached the land of milk and honey those of us fortunate enough to have a season ticket are reaping the rewards price wise. With a waiting list of 6000 for STs and match day tickets scarce on the ground I can only sympathise with those Albion fans "left out". But really, this was always going to be the case. For the last few years, in fact since we moved to the Amex, the number of season ticket holders for the size and status of the club has been extraordinarily high. The writing was on the wall that it was going to be a case of when, not if, that the Albion would be a Premier League outfit. So, because of this scenario, many fans banked on this and purchased season tickets accordingly and are now in clover. C'est la vie. The losers, unfortunately, are those like the OP and other fans who have chosen to attend games on an ad hoc basis - and the result? They are paying the price - literally.

One other comment that I would like to make in comparison to Southampton. I know many Saints fans who are now relinquishing their season tickets (or have already done so) and are now buying tickets on a match by match basis. Why? Perhaps it's been the poor quality of performances at home games, or maybe the attraction of being in the Premier League has worn off?

I also wonder if their club is looking at what the Albion have achieved in attracting fans with a bit of green eyed envy.

Don't forget Brighton's prices include subsidised travel to!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I'm guessing the majority who aren't complaining about forking out near on £50 for a game of football are ST holders who don't care as they aren't paying it. If your so worried about paying TB's money back then why not complain that your season ticket is to cheap and offer to pay more? None of you will so don't slag fans that are being fleeced to watch their team.

Guess again.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

As a ST I agree, it is expensive, and you don't want longstanding loyal fans being priced out of watching their team. How much would have been an acceptable increase, £5/6/8 a ticket ? There was always going to be an increase. Inflation is nearly 3%, living wage and auto- enrolment for pensions is pushing staff costs up for all employers. Tony has put in £200 million. I know we have the TV money but so does everyone else, and we need to strengthen more than most. Difficult situation for the club, it really needs to maximise revenue, but I really sympathise with those who will end up going less. We need those proper fans there

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Like I say in the first line, I wont be taken for a mug. I have principles and I will stick to them. .

"I also have principles, and if you don't like them.......well I have others"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Or they're not in the slightest bit surprised that football matches are expensive.

It's not as if the gentrification of football is new news.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
What I don't understand with this is why Barber is the one getting it in the neck from the OP?

Do people honestly not think that Tony has the final say so on things? It just seems that when there is credit to be handed out it all goes to Tony, but any blame lands at Barber's feet.

Because some people think its cool and funny

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's a difficult one.

The club can charge more so they will. But some people, including long term fans, will be priced out and that's truly a shame.

Personally speaking I wouldn't pay £45 for a game if I didn't have my ST, bugger who the opposition is.

One wonders if / when the cost breakdown of a ST ends up equal to the cost of a CAT A and how many people, like myself, would balk at that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My first thought was "what an attention-seeking whinge" but having read the post and the thread I can see it's not. There's now no room at the Amex for occasional visitors like the OP and very sadly new fans. I've got a mate who is a Spurs fan but his son (aged 6) started getting into football last year so I gave them mine and my eldest's STs to see a match and the little lad was hooked and is now a Brighton fan complete with kit, scarf and duvet set. He's now begging his dad to take him again this season but his dad has no chance, none at all at those prices. That little lad could lose interest very quickly if he doesn't get to see us play so I'll try to ensure they get to at least one match because those prices are just out of my mate's affordability. I expect there's lots of others in the same situation.

Thank goodness I've got a ST. Modern football really is rubbish at times.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Join those of us following the game on the NSC match thread - there are plenty of other things to do on a Saturday afternoon (hoovering, shopping at Asda, washing up, rearranging your CDs/books/whatever into alphabetic order.......)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
True but concerts etc you don't go to every couple of weeks.

It would be great if someone did watch the Albion every couple of weeks if there was a way of watching them at a much lower cost per match.

The problem is that for matches against big teams, and even probably against a small club such as Crystal Palace, the club could potentially sell 35-40,000 tickets.

They can therefore sell out all the matchday tickets at £45 or £50 or £55.

Given that TB has sunk £300 million into delivering Premier League football to the Albion, he's entitled to stop subsidising the club now that we are there.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I was 9 in 1955, it cost 9d (rounding it generously that's 5p) to watch the Albion. I was a kid then and an OAP now, so similar concession. According to the inflation checker that's £1.26 today. Taking the £28 last seasons WSU I paid for tickets, thats aprox 22 times more.
If you leave it as the original 5p and see how £28.00 compares, that's about 570 times greater. Of course the Premier League the increase gets worse.
I have and will never stop supporting Brighton and Hove Albion, but has the value and entertainment increased 22 fold, or 570 times just doing a straight pence to pence comparison. I was a Knoll School boy so the maths could be dodgy but the proposition remains, are we and will we get at least 22 times more enjoyment from attending Albion matches. This is not a put down or a criticism of the Club, just reflecting some thoughts.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
It would be great if someone did watch the Albion every couple of weeks if there was a way of watching them at a much lower cost per match.

The problem is that for matches against big teams, and even probably against a small club such as Crystal Palace, the club could potentially sell 35-40,000 tickets.

They can therefore sell out all the matchday tickets at £45 or £50 or £55.

Given that TB has sunk £300 million into delivering Premier League football to the Albion, he's entitled to stop subsidising the club now that we are there.

Could not agree more. The more you become successful, the more demand there will be. It's a natural progression, just look back at recently as Gillingham/Withdean low numbers due to location and facilities and now we have a top notch stadium and Premier league football, people will want to watch our team or the opposition and the club have a duty to secure their future.

Last edited:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

I dont think anyone is slagging off fans that are going to have to pay a bit more.
Surely you had the option to be a Season Ticket holder, if personal circumstances dictated that you couldnt afford it then you have my sympathies, but dont critisize those that do have ST's
A lot of ST holders that weren't ST holders before the Amex believed the dream and took up the option to be a ST holder. That was their choice and they are reaping the rewards.
Pleae dont castigate those that are ST holders, you pays your money, you take your chances.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I'll still consider myself a fan of the club, but I won't be taken for a mug.

I'm not expecting sympathy, I'm not angry or even surprised by this announcement; I thought it was inevitable really. I've supported Brighton since I was pretty young, I've never seriously entertained supporting anybody else, I've been going to games home and away for years now. I'm no super-fan, there are many better but I would say I've been pretty dedicated to the cause.

I live in Bristol and have not long graduated from university so I don't have bundles of spare cash lying around, which means getting a season ticket is out of the question. For the last few seasons I have done my best to attend as many games as money and time have allowed me to, purchasing tickets on the day or borrowing season tickets when possible. I had, quite naturally hoped to carry on doing this for the forthcoming season but unfortunately my worst fears have been confirmed.

The bottom line for me is that I refuse to potentially pay a minimum of £45 to watch a football match, ever. I don't care who it is against or when we might next play them again, I don't care whether or not it is 'reasonable' relative to what the London clubs charge. £45 for two hours when it is something that happens on most weekends of the year is not something I will accept. I won't attend the lower category games because I refuse to be implicit in this brazen price-gouging.

Looks as though I will be becoming one of those armchair fans I've derided for so long.

:shrug:
Pretty much expected to be fair although I cringe at prices and paying £82 for me and the other half last season was a rare thing butI cringed at those hideous prices.Not interested in going next season as it's a dire league and as per usual ridiculously overpriced.

To be fair as I get older my interest dies that bit more....:smile:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I get that TB is entitled to stop subsidising the club but I don't get why the tickets are so expensive. There's, what, 10 or so category A games and the price differential between A and C matches is £15.

So say there's 2000 tickets at this price then the extra income is 2000 * 10 * £15 = £300,000. That's against an expected income of between £85m-£95m so less than 0.4% of turnover. It makes absolutely no material difference to the club so what is the point of it other than "all the other clubs do it so why don't we?"

I know the club can sell them at this price and more but in my simple mind a more modest increase would have won the club a lot of goodwill and shown that they have the fans at the forefront of their minds still. It just seems all so unnecessarily greedy.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Do I think £45 is too much for the cheapest seat at a football game? Probably, but what gives? TB has an opportunity here to claw back some of his incredible investment, without which, we would have no ground and possibly no club.

Until the day arrives that he has recouped that I don't mind paying extra. Some will be priced out of the market but enough won't be.

Watching Premier League football is about watching the absolute pinnacle of the worlds most popular sport. It's going to cost ya.
Watching premiership football is about watching the most overpaid athletes in the world.....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
These are the prices being charged by Southampton for the visit of United next season.

Are the prices too high? Probably but if the match sells out then not too high for those wealthy enough to attend.

Are the Albion charging more? After taking into the travel voucher, they're roughly in line.

This is perhaps further indication that it's better to travel than to arrive.

Welcome to the Premier League?

ticket-info

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here