Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber and the club have lost me as a customer today

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I've paid my £25 (or whatever) for my bronze membership.
I now need to decide if I want to shell out about £150 for the first three home games that go on sale on Tues.
If I do decide to try for all three games it will be interesting to see if I'm able to get them.

Bognor at Nyewood Lane in National League South for £12 and being able to drink a pint on the terraces is looking very attractive.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
I'll still consider myself a fan of the club, but I won't be taken for a mug.

I'm not expecting sympathy, I'm not angry or even surprised by this announcement; I thought it was inevitable really. I've supported Brighton since I was pretty young, I've never seriously entertained supporting anybody else, I've been going to games home and away for years now. I'm no super-fan, there are many better but I would say I've been pretty dedicated to the cause.

I live in Bristol and have not long graduated from university so I don't have bundles of spare cash lying around, which means getting a season ticket is out of the question. For the last few seasons I have done my best to attend as many games as money and time have allowed me to, purchasing tickets on the day or borrowing season tickets when possible. I had, quite naturally hoped to carry on doing this for the forthcoming season but unfortunately my worst fears have been confirmed.

The bottom line for me is that I refuse to potentially pay a minimum of £45 to watch a football match, ever. I don't care who it is against or when we might next play them again, I don't care whether or not it is 'reasonable' relative to what the London clubs charge. £45 for two hours when it is something that happens on most weekends of the year is not something I will accept. I won't attend the lower category games because I refuse to be implicit in this brazen price-gouging.

Looks as though I will be becoming one of those armchair fans I've derided for so long.

:shrug:

Hang about you say "For the last few seasons I have done my best to attend as many games as money and time have allowed.." Whats really changed, sure the prices are higher, but doesn't this just means you attend fewer games? You have limited funds so you pick your games more carefully! Seems to me you are biting off your nose to spite your face!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
People say this but at the end of the day 30 thousand seats at an average of £30 per ticket is still £900k per match so it may not be much compared to the TV rights but it is still huge money that would be greatly missed if we didn't charge.

And that's the way I looked at it.
It's a lot of dosh for 1 match but still media say it's a drop in the ocean.
Maybe it's all the other figures on top of Sky/ BT including all the sponsorships and foreign TV money and all the other stuff that we don't know about being mind boggling.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Little point. I imagine all of us know someone who lives a fair whack from Brighton who we could "live with" for the sake of such a scheme, should it exist.

And the club won't want to check 23,000 utility bills, or similar, to verify addresses and residency.

Would that not technically be fraud, and it's very easy to verify.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
People say this but at the end of the day 30 thousand seats at an average of £30 per ticket is still £900k per match so it may not be much compared to the TV rights but it is still huge money that would be greatly missed if we didn't charge.

Do the maths. 19 x 900 = £17m plus the add ons for shirts, beer, pies, say £25m. Have no idea what match day costs are but wild guess £300k, so let's say GP ex matches = £20m. Compares to around £100m share from TV revenues. Important at the margin.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Would that not technically be fraud, and it's very easy to verify.
Do we really want the club to use some of it's budget to check all season ticket holder addresses on a regular/annual basis ?

Think of how many 1901 teabags could be bought with the cost of doing that...

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Seems to me you are biting off your nose to spite your face!

Like I say in the first line, I wont be taken for a mug. I have principles and I will stick to them. I don't mind picking/choosing but I wont do that when the prices are not reasonable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Most people aren't as radical as you.

I disagree. I know a number of regular gig goers. Maybe not 30-40 but certainly around the 20 mark. It's what a lot of music lovers do......and why they're called music lovers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I taught myself the guitar but I rarely attend gigs.

What does that make me? A music casual?

Where going off track here. I think my point is clear and valid.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I'll still consider myself a fan of the club, but I won't be taken for a mug.

I'm not expecting sympathy, I'm not angry or even surprised by this announcement; I thought it was inevitable really. I've supported Brighton since I was pretty young, I've never seriously entertained supporting anybody else, I've been going to games home and away for years now. I'm no super-fan, there are many better but I would say I've been pretty dedicated to the cause.

I live in Bristol and have not long graduated from university so I don't have bundles of spare cash lying around, which means getting a season ticket is out of the question. For the last few seasons I have done my best to attend as many games as money and time have allowed me to, purchasing tickets on the day or borrowing season tickets when possible. I had, quite naturally hoped to carry on doing this for the forthcoming season but unfortunately my worst fears have been confirmed.

The bottom line for me is that I refuse to potentially pay a minimum of £45 to watch a football match, ever. I don't care who it is against or when we might next play them again, I don't care whether or not it is 'reasonable' relative to what the London clubs charge. £45 for two hours when it is something that happens on most weekends of the year is not something I will accept. I won't attend the lower category games because I refuse to be implicit in this brazen price-gouging.

Looks as though I will be becoming one of those armchair fans I've derided for so long.

:shrug:

Did they not lose you some time ago. Im sure you once refused to pay more than £20

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So, we're back to the old chestnut of defining "loyalty" in the context of supporting a sports club [been done before I'm sure]

Who's more loyal?
A supporter who goes to every home game but lives in Brighton, so has no issue with travel distance [cost] or travel time.
A supporter who lives some distance from Brighton, hundreds, perhaps thousands of miles - want's to be loyal but the distance makes this impractical. Expensive travel costs and time consumed.

Never going to find a solution that suits everyone ....

Trouble with awarding points to attendance means that if you can't get your nose in, with every passing week, the opportunities become less and less. Is there a view, in the interests of fair and share, where someone could say in April, "Hey, I'd like to watch Brighton at least once this season, can one of the regulars please step down and let someone else have a go?"

It's not a loyalty scheme. It's a reward card that rewards spending in much the same way as a supermarket reward card. Use of the word 'loyalty' is for branding purposes and causes a lot of confusion.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It's not a loyalty scheme. It's a reward card that rewards spending in much the same way as a supermarket reward card. Use of the word 'loyalty' is for branding purposes and causes a lot of confusion.

Wrong, wrong, wrong - it does not reward spending at all !! Some of our overseas supporters could spend hundreds on a flight and accommodation to get to watch a game or spend £500 in the club shop - neither of these will earn you any loyalty points under the current points allocation rules.

The supermarket comparison is also stupid - can you imagine your local Sainsburys telling you at the entrance that you can't come in their shop today because you've not shopped enough here in the past.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here