Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Human kindness

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
These days it seems few and far between. The other day I was in a petrol station in Peacehaven and some rough looking women was coming out with some story about card being declined but wages should have been paid in blah blah. Anyway after 10 minutes (and more importantly my coffee going cold) the girl behind the jumps refused to accept her word, card or story.

She was really in a state basically begging for someone to help and loan her £30. I said no, everyone else said no but as I was getting into the car I thought I cant do it . Right or wrong it was only £30 so went back in gave it to her. I knew it , she knew it, but when she promised me to return it later that night, there was more chance of us signing Ronaldo.

Sad thing about it is that she robbed someone prepared to help her.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Sign of the times. People are not as principled as they were, population growing and they've all figured out it's easy to lie and extort the generations before them.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Sign of the times. People are not as principled as they were, population growing and they've all figured out it's easy to lie and extort the generations before them.

Sad really. As I say most annoying thing was robbing the only person that would help. Anyway she has to live with being a ****.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I used to live in Shepherds Bush the usual was a pretty girl walking around with an empty petrol can asking for a fiver, if you offered to drive them to the petrol station and fill the can they would just walk off disgruntled :lolol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
How is it a sing of the times when the same scam has been around forever? This predates cars let alone petrol stations.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Unfortunately this sort of incident, which was basically a set up, will detract from the real cases that are out there.
Rather than discerning between the two, people might stop helping out at all, rather than having the feeling of potentially being turned over.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Unfortunately this sort of incident, which was basically a set up, will detract from the real cases that are out there.
Rather than discerning between the two, people might stop helping out at all, rather than having the feeling of potentially being turned over.

This is the main problem with this kind of scenario. I've sometimes given money away in these type circumstances but have yet to see any of it returned in spite of the 'genuine' sounding promises. The trouble is, one doesn't want to turn a blind eye to real need.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Asked for a couple of quid for some chips as I was walking home past a kebab shop late one night. Wouldn't normally but handed it over. She took it and just walked past the shop !!!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Asked for a couple of quid for some chips as I was walking home past a kebab shop late one night. Wouldn't normally but handed it over. She took it and just walked past the shop !!!

Beggars often don't want the thing they ask for, it's a pretext. I remember one asking me for money for food in Manchester once and as we were by a shop, I said no problem, let's go in and buy some sandwiches. All I got back from that offer was a torrent of abuse as he walked on to the next person for money.

el punal

Beggars often don't want the thing they ask for, it's a pretext. I remember one asking me for money for food in Manchester once and as we were by a shop, I said no problem, let's go in and buy some sandwiches. All I got back from that offer was a torrent of abuse as he walked on to the next person for money.

Last week I was walking my dog and this bloke stops me and asks " 'Ere mate, got any spare Rizlas?".
"No mate, I don't smoke." I replied
"F*** you!" was his response.
It was 6.30 in the morning so not the sort of pissed up comment you would expect at that time of day. I turned to him and just said
"F*** you too!", and walked off. Not the sort of thing I would have normally said or done, and probably not the response he was expecting. There could have been repercussions but I was just annoyed that someone could gob off at you for no reason and think that was ok.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
These days it seems few and far between. The other day I was in a petrol station in Peacehaven and some rough looking women was coming out with some story about card being declined but wages should have been paid in blah blah. Anyway after 10 minutes (and more importantly my coffee going cold) the girl behind the jumps refused to accept her word, card or story.

She was really in a state basically begging for someone to help and loan her £30. I said no, everyone else said no but as I was getting into the car I thought I cant do it . Right or wrong it was only £30 so went back in gave it to her. I knew it , she knew it, but when she promised me to return it later that night, there was more chance of us signing Ronaldo.

Did you give her you address so she could return the money?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Hmm...really? I'd say there are lots of acts of human kindness...yours...posters on this thread....ive given money to help someone get home and never got it back (not that it bothered me) ...all the people who donated clothes etc in the Grenfell Fire..money after the terrorism incidents and on and on...sorry but i can't agree

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

We always stop and buy chips from the chip shop at the bottom of ship street for the old guy who " lives" by Chris Cattlin's rock shop. I really struggle to give beggars money as I always , probably wrongly, imagine they head straight to the local offie or drug dealer. I know a lot of my fellow commuters when getting to London headed to the local pret or coffee shop and buy an extra coffee or sandwich for the homeless people around there. Sometimes, the poor buggers must have been sick to death of skinny cappuccino and ham and cheese croissant.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
This is the main problem with this kind of scenario. I've sometimes given money away in these type circumstances but have yet to see any of it returned in spite of the 'genuine' sounding promises. The trouble is, one doesn't want to turn a blind eye to real need.

Yeah but their need is real. Like it or loathe it, and we loathe it, but to quote Bill Hicks, "drugs are pretty f*cking important to a drug addict". I'm not as generous as you, I very very rarely give anything, but it does make me think that if someone is prepared to beg and lie about petrol and wages etc, to be in that low low place, then what really is the harm in handing over some cash once in a blue moon? Though, it's not exactly a win/win situation, or a win of any kind at all.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
We always stop and buy chips from the chip shop at the bottom of ship street for the old guy who " lives" by Chris Cattlin's rock shop. I really struggle to give beggars money as I always , probably wrongly, imagine they head straight to the local offie or drug dealer. I know a lot of my fellow commuters when getting to London headed to the local pret or coffee shop and buy an extra coffee or sandwich for the homeless people around there. Sometimes, the poor buggers must have been sick to death of skinny cappuccino and ham and cheese croissant.

Firstly, before I say this, I'm definitely not having a go at you here, I know lots of people who hold your view, but I have a slightly different view which I will explain. I actually don't have a problem if someone wants to spend money I give them on booze or drugs. I think most people judge people living on the streets by standards that most of us wouldn't hold to if we were in their situation. If I were homeless I would probably spend my money on booze. I understand why you say that you wouldn't give people money because you think there'll spend it on booze/drugs, but personally I think it gives us an easy/convenient way out of giving people money. I don't think charity should be dependent on spending money on specific things.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

That is a rubbish thing to happen to you but I will say well done for being a decent person in a crappy society. If anyone doesn't respect what you did, then they weren't the people you were aiming this post at. Anyone half decent will respect what you did.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here