Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you say no to Brighton beggars?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I found Birmingham was much worse than Brighton.. At least in Brighton they tend to sit and beg in one place, Birmingham they constantly come up to you and beg..

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I once saw a barefoot beggar and felt very sorry for him. I gave him two tenners and said "buy yourself some shoes." About a month later I saw him begging again with some new shoes on and I felt good about it. Then about 3 weeks later he was back to begging barefoot. I asked him "What happened to those new shoes I gave you the money to buy?"

He then decided to be honest with me since he saw that I had invested so much interest in him. He said those were his shoes that he had paid for with his money and he had used the money I gave him for petrol (his car wasn't anywhere near). He said he didn't wear his shoes because he wasn't given as much money begging when he wore them.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If I've got a couple of bob I'll give it, I find it almost impossible to just keep walking by same with charity collections. I don't like seeing people struggling. I expect I'm too soft but it's just the way I am.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
We support an amazing charity that work's in Brighton & Hove helping the homeless amongst others. They were one of BHAFC's charities of the year a few years ago.
The amazing guys who run it say not to give money directly to people begging on the street.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Completely ignore them, and if EVERYONE did this then hopefully they will either move to another City or something else will happen to them.

Blight on society, sorry EVERYONE has a choice all through their lives.

If they get nothing they will stop begging.

They make me sick to the back teeth.

The fool hath spoken......

Walk a mile in my shoes.......

Some people are dealt a bad hand not through their own "choice".....

All the choices available may be "bad" choices.....

Something easy for you may be very hard for someone else and maybe v.v......

Life is about balance and you have a very unbalanced view......

etc etc

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013

etc etc

Totally this . None of us are immune to ending up with nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

etc etc

By having an opinion that you do not agree with does not make me a fool.

Round them all up and drop them off in Croydon, that should do the trick.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
By having an opinion that you do not agree with does not make me a fool.

Round them all up and drop them off in Croydon, that should do the trick.

You are right about having a different opinion doesn't make someone a fool.
But I would just question your total blanket view on the topic. Life is surely never as simple as that otherwise we would all agree or at least there would only ever be 2 sides to any debate.
This is obviously only my opinion like.......

Lush

Mods' Pet
Many people on the street have been in care, and the longer you've been cared for by social services, the more likely it is that you develop what's known as 'learned helplessness', ie expecting others to look after you, or give you money, and not having the confidence or the experience to make any kind of life for yourself. Self-esteem is low, and if you don't feel good about yourself the more likely you're going to want to block out the feelings of worthlessness with drink or alcohol. The whole system needs to take a look at itself IMO.

Christ, they're everywhere in our city.

When asked for money I meet eye contact, smile but shake my head. I'm uncomfortable saying "no thanks" as they aren't offering anything and it seems trite but I also want to acknowledge their existence and not blank them. But I won't give them money.

I don't believe in begging and don't believe (with my limited experience working with clients who associate with homeless friends and with colleagues who regularly directly work with them) that giving cash helps at all. (note to critics, I give items regularly to Hope on London Rd/Preston Rd (?) and have a tiny regular dd to Barnados as many of them have been through the child care system. It's not much but it's something).

Just wondering what you do?

Sounds like you are doing more than enough already but i only ever give to Big Issue sellers. For what its worth, i worked around St James st for years and police were always moving on the "fake beggars" - i happened to be there last month waiting for a friend when the community cops moved one on outside Sainsburys right in front of me. He stood up, took out is iPhone !!! and called someone to say "the pretend pigs are moving me on" - He then unlocked is £1000+ hybrid bike and rode off!..

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
You are right about having a different opinion doesn't make someone a fool.
But I would just question your total blanket view on the topic. Life is surely never as simple as that otherwise we would all agree or at least there would only ever be 2 sides to any debate.
This is obviously only my opinion like.......

And that is exactly that, your opinion, I don't agree, however the beauty of my country is you can have your own opinion.

They are vermin that blight any City or Town.

Always smoking, always drinking, stink to high heaven, like I said before if people stopped giving them money and food they would have to do something about it and continuous begging would not be the answer.

In life you either want to change or you don't.

People who are not on the streets have had harder life stories to tell than some of them, they are not on the street.

Its all about choices, choices, choices.

I could go on the street tomorrow to beg steal or do anything else that will fund my habits.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
And that is exactly that, your opinion, I don't agree, however the beauty of my country is you can have your own opinion.

Always smoking, always drinking, stink to high heaven, like I said before if people stopped giving them money and food they would have to do something about it and continuous begging would not be the answer.

People who are not on the streets have had harder life stories to tell than some of them, they are not on the street.

I could go on the street tomorrow to beg steal or do anything else that will fund my habits.

"Vermin "? Wow that is quite a word to use. You say everyone can make their own choice . I suppose you haven't heard of the concept of vulnerable adults.
I work with adults with learning disabilities and often some of these individuals have a dual diagnosis of mental health. Their are people sleeping rough who simply do not have the support network, emotional and cognitive ability to simply chose to get out of their situation.
It is only a guess and shout me down by all means but I suspect you have little experience of working in any care giving setting.
Try listening to "The streets of London " by Ralph McTell - an old corny song in a way but useful message.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You sound like a lovely person to be around.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
"Vermin "? Wow that is quite a word to use. You say everyone can make their own choice . I suppose you haven't heard of the concept of vulnerable adults.
I work with adults with learning disabilities and often some of these individuals have a dual diagnosis of mental health. Their are people sleeping rough who simply do not have the support network, emotional and cognitive ability to simply chose to get out of their situation.
It is only a guess and shout me down by all means but I suspect you have little experience of working in any care giving setting.
Try listening to "The streets of London " by Ralph McTell - an old corny song in a way but useful message.

Maybe Vermin was a tad over the top so I apologise for that.

You are correct, I have no concept, Idea or experience or working in any care giving situation.

I choose not to be in the arena.

I will listen to that song as you have recommended it.

I am not sure it will change my opinion of the beggars in Brighton, however never say never.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

You are correct, I have no concept, Idea or experience or working in any care giving situation.

I am not sure it will change my opinion of the beggars in Brighton, however never say never.

Fair play for the apology.

Maybe not a single one of the beggars you see on the streets of Brighton ever envisaged themselves at the the same age you as being beggars on the streets of Brighton.

OK, there's a fair few chancers out there preying on the gullibility of golly-gosh middle-class Brighton types. That's why they're sitting on the pavement here, as opposed to sitting on the pavement somewhere far more shite.

But as you say, never say never. You are only ever a couple of strokes of bad luck, maybe some of them self-inflicted, away from BEING that person sitting hustling on a Brighton street.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013

Fair enough.
Likewise I didn't want to come across as patronising- and without doubt as in any walk of life rough sleepers begging may have a percentage who are trying to con people it is just that I know from experience there are a lot in Brighton who aren't.
Anyway too nice a day to get all heavy!
Have we signed anyone yet!

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

this cover is better imo

[yt]oBKMsXMs8mc[/YT]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here