Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much longer are the Albion tied in with Amex?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm sure Barber said somewhere that all Amex sponsorship had steps-up built in for on field success.
Looking at all the betting companies linked to clubs now I think we have a dream sponsorship deal and I hope it continues. Again I have a recollection of Barber indicating that the two sponsorships are linked in timeframe.

Don't we have the option of an additional sleeve sponsor this year? Might be a reason for delay in kit issue and 2nd kit release?

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You don't get much bigger than Amex. I'm certainly happy for them to continue sponsoring us for the foreseeable, being as I don't want the stadium renamed (I'll ALWAYS know it as the Amex regardless). Plus with them sponsoring the shirt, we haven't got a horrific great splodge of Mandarin script plastered all over the front of our shirts. Because without exception, that looks utter DOGSHIT. Just check out the state of Palace's effort this year.

Ugh.

My word, I hadn't seen this before. Sadly the eyes can't unsee what has been seen, damn you! What's the thing that looks like a deflated football with a McDonalds logo on it? And Man Bet? Really?

palace-announce-new-shirt-sponsor-manbetx

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Wasn't there a poster on here who loudly and frequently assured us all that Amex wouldn't be sponsoring so much as a seat in our new stadium, then either vanished or changed his name when he was proven as wrong as could be?

I think he even promised to dance around the stadium naked (or something similar) if he was wrong.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Amex is about as good as it can get for us. Mulitinational but local (and massive local employer) been there from day 1 at Falmer. Sure the contracts will involve PL uplifts. Can't think of a better sponsor.......financially alone there will be higher offers I suspect but totally fits the club ethos to stay with Amex.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
American Express on Forbes Lists on the Forbes 2000 List of the Worlds Biggest Companies:

#97 Global 2000
#253 in Sales
#92 in Profit
#185 in Assets
#130 in Market value
#23 World's Most Valuable Brands
#347 America's Best Employers
#40 America's Top Public Companies
#78 in Sales
#42 in Profit
#40 in Assets
#67 in Market value

So that leaves just 96 bigger fish on the planet - do you have one in particular in mind?

Sorry, meant this a a reply to young Icy!

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
They appear to be a very good sponsor, pretty unobtrusive. Tail not wagging dog.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Quite happy that we go into the Premier league WITHOUT the name of a Bookmaker, a Pawnbrokers, a pay day loan shark or a gassy lager across the front of our shirts.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Much like Skint/Donatellos were with us in the darker years, Amex have been with us in our modern age. I agree with those that have said that the name is synonymous with the stadium...does anyone remember how badly it went down when Newcastle tried to rename their stadium? :lolol:

If we chased more money, i'd be disappointed but not surprised as it's all about stability these days. If we could get a good deal with Amex moving forward, i'd be delighted.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
American Express on Forbes Lists on the Forbes 2000 List of the Worlds Biggest Companies:

#97 Global 2000
#253 in Sales
#92 in Profit
#185 in Assets
#130 in Market value
#23 World's Most Valuable Brands
#347 America's Best Employers
#40 America's Top Public Companies
#78 in Sales
#42 in Profit
#40 in Assets
#67 in Market value

So that leaves just 96 bigger fish on the planet - do you have one in particular in mind?

Sorry, meant this a a reply to young Icy!

Good post. Happy with such a big global brand. I'm sure I read somewhere that we are the only sports team in the world that they sponsor too? Which can only be a good thing imo.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You don't get much bigger than Amex. I'm certainly happy for them to continue sponsoring us for the foreseeable, being as I don't want the stadium renamed (I'll ALWAYS know it as the Amex regardless). Plus with them sponsoring the shirt, we haven't got a horrific great splodge of Mandarin script plastered all over the front of our shirts. Because without exception, that looks utter DOGSHIT. Just check out the state of Palace's effort this year.

Ugh.

I thought the likes of Amex were in part responsible for the financial crash that has ****ed the country and we are all still paying for it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought the likes of Amex were in part responsible for the financial crash that has ****ed the country and we are all still paying for it?

That'd be the first I'd heard of it. The seeds of that disaster were sown in the sub-prime market in the selling (and then multiple re-selling) of loans secured on property. American Express are primarily a credit card company dealing in unsecured credit, so unless I missed it, I wasn't aware they were implicated in the global financial crash.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
That'd be the first I'd heard of it. The seeds of that disaster were sown in the sub-prime market in the selling (and then multiple re-selling) of loans secured on property. American Express are primarily a credit card company dealing in unsecured credit, so unless I missed it, I wasn't aware they were implicated in the global financial crash.

I don't think they were implicated. It's a pretty conservative corporation which bases it's strategy on sustainable, long term growth. That's one of the reasons why investors like Warren Buffett see Amex as a good investment (he owns a big chunk of Amex stock).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here