Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things you like about the Yanks

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Their big day innit, the 4th of July. Despite their thick as shit President, their obsession with race, the mangling of the English language, their weird way of writing the month before the day, Adam Sandler, their 'thing' with guns and their whooping when polite clapping would suffice, there's lots to like about them.

Music has to be a big plus: Blues, Rock n Roll, country (we gave them that), soul, funk, The Pixies, Blondie, Public Enemy, Elliott Smith, Elvis, Billie Holliday, Madonna, Dylan. That's not too shabby a list in itself.

TV gave us The Monkees, The Muppets, Breaking Bad, Family Guy, Tucker Carlson (a guilty pleasure of mine).

Films: David Lynch, Coen Brothers, Orson Welles, Star Wars, The Goonies, Francis Ford Copella, Sam Wannamaker, Bogart and Bacall.

Politics: Kennedy, Lincoln, Roosevelt (both of them), Luther King

Literature: Angelou, Bukowski, Twain, Hunter S Thomson, Hemingway, Steinbeck, Lovecraft.

They're not so bad.

Howard Phillips Lovecraft. Buzzer, I salute you. :salute:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
On a serious note, when I was out in Germany, the 1GW was on.
I used to collect/drop off British service people to Rhein-maine air base, the other half of Frankfurt airport.
When waiting around for these guys, the American service staff couldn't do enough to make you feel welcome, in offering the use of their facilities, ie: food and rest areas.
The British service people used to hitch rides back to Europe on the USAF aircraft :thumbsup:

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Having lived here for the past 10 years and been coming here since late seventies, here goes with some observations. (in no particular order)
The People. Here in the South very friendly and genuine.
Turning Right at red lights.
The Customer Service. Albeit a tad overdone for our tastes, its way better than UK. Where in the the UK will someone pack your shopping, load it into a trolly and then take it to your car and load it in?
Respect from the younger generation. It was a bit weird at first being called "Sir" when getting help or speaking with someone in the shops.
Health Service. Can be at the Docs in the morning, in hospital in the afternoon and home by Wed. (as happened to the Misses when she had heart issues.)
Atlanta Braves.
The "ladies". I can confirm previous comments about the American ladies "lust" for life and an English accent. :whistle:
The space. Its huge!
Knowing more about American History than some of my American neighbors. :laugh:

Dislikes
The People: Some can be really annoying, especially if they think society owes them everything for nothing.
Turning Right at red lights. As previously pointed out, can be bloody dangerous when you are a pedestrian.
Customer Service. Can be overdone.
Health Service. Overpriced and run by the Pharma Industry for their benefit not ours.
Political Correctness. Its "Merry Christmas" deal with it.

And
The flag (in the avatar) proudly flying at the front door and being asked what it represents.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OK here are the things I like...

It is MASSIVE and there is something there for anyone.

Many people there have a sense of certainty (albeit this can also be a weakness).

The food and the service in restaurants.

New York.

HP Lovecraft. If you have a tendency towards introspection and like the idea that there are far bigger and weirder things outside (that might occasionally reach in), and the idea of colours that can't be imagined, and ancestry, and obsession, and antiquity and, let's face it, all things goth, then.....

The fact that you can be from anywhere and as long as you say you are American, and be American, you are American. Notwithstanding the opinion of your actual nobwittering retrocuntalists, the likes of which can be found in any country.

As for music, I am a massive Europhile (Anglophile, Scandophile, Deutchophile) so its all a bit meh for me, but there are gems:

Blue Oyster Cult
MX 80
Morning
Wall of Voodoo
The Bell Hollow
Jimi Hendrix
The New York Dolls
The Four Tops
Velvet Acid Christ
Pulse Legion
Big Joe Turner
Edgar Winter
Johnny Winter
Montrose
Van Halen
Steely Dan
Frank Zappa
Captain Beefhart

yes....

Lots!

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
OK here are the things I like...

It is MASSIVE and there is something there for anyone.

Many people there have a sense of certainty (albeit this can also be a weakness).

The food and the service in restaurants.

New York.

HP Lovecraft. If you have a tendency towards introspection and like the idea that there are far bigger and weirder things outside (that might occasionally reach in), and the idea of colours that can't be imagined, and ancestry, and obsession, and antiquity and, let's face it, all things goth, then.....

The fact that you can be from anywhere and as long as you say you are American, and be American, you are American. Notwithstanding the opinion of your actual nobwittering retrocuntalists, the likes of which can be found in any country.

As for music, I am a massive Europhile (Anglophile, Scandophile, Deutchophile) so its all a bit meh for me, but there are gems:

Blue Oyster Cult
MX 80
Morning
Wall of Voodoo
The Bell Hollow
Jimi Hendrix
The New York Dolls
The Four Tops
Velvet Acid Christ
Pulse Legion
Big Joe Turner
Edgar Winter
Johnny Winter
Montrose
Van Halen
Steely Dan
Frank Zappa
Captain Beefhart

yes....

Lots!

Blue Oyster Cult.:lowdown: Remember seeing them at Sussex Uni in the 70's.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
How utterly mental some of them are.Scream blue murder about Trump's attitude to women,and completely ignore what Dave McClure has been doing.???

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Good call on Salinger. I liked CITR, but I can see why a lot of people find Holden Caulfield irritating. I think, like Kerouac's 'On The Road', you have to be quite young when you read it to get the best out of it. However his short stories sustain and 'The Laughing Man' is one of his best.

I discovered that short story via the Ghost In The Shell Anime boxset bizarrely enough. There's a lot of references to Salinger and it turns out that the Japanese have a love affair with his writing.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I discovered a French Ska band from the nineties last week Whilst on holiday in Crete !!!

Zebda
the track was 'Tomber la Chemise'

I like that, cheers. I've long maintained that the French don't do mediocre when it comes to music. It's either brilliant or spectacularly rubbish. I don't know if you've heard of another Frenchman called Mr Day but he's well worth checking out. This track is worthy of Paul Weller I reckon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dl-T-WtFZU

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
As a country I think it's become rotten to the core. I have a few American friends who are decent people (and basically say and think the same thing)

On the whole I think they are a bad influence on the western world and I think most other civilized countries would agree deep down. Great Britain certainly shouldn't be looking to them as a mentor and we should keep our distance regarding their cowboy foreign policies... We are the old school and they are the newbies when push comes to shove, I hate how we pander to them and follow all their bullshit like lost sheep. It's embarrassing!

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Totally split 50/50 on the USA.
I could easily name 200 things i like about it and 200 things i dont.
I suppose that makes it a facinating country.
And yes i have been there, lots of times.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Nothing.. Hate how we have become so Americanised. We seem to have lost our national identity.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Needs another civil war to discover its values again and/or split up into shared value states. Like here there's just no point trying to pretend it's one country when it's got a thousand different regions, ethnicities, races, classes, laws and wealth gaps. And that's just scratching the surface. There's nothing United about any of that. Just a cauldron of often boiling injustice and violence between competing communities (if they can be called that). I wouldn't be surprised if it happened within the next generation. America is rotten to the core and more divided than ever.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Nothing.. Hate how we have become so Americanised. We seem to have lost our national identity.

Our identities are intertwined. All the signatories to the Declaration of Independence were of recent British descent. 4th July is as much British history as American. I don't feel I have been culturally Americanised any more than watching Home and Away and neighbours has culturally Australianised me.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
How when you're at a Baseball game at Wrigley Field, they sell you beer and food at your seat. Rather than having to queue up for it for bloody ages.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Celebrating a British military and political defeat by colonialists supported by the French.... not my cup of tea.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here