Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things you like about the Yanks

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
My mother was born in Pittsburgh (sadly passed 2011) to a Kent father and Native American mother.

There's so much to like about the USA rather than as the usual redneckery guns etc.

I love the natural scenery of the place having visited ten states - standing out were the Pacific Coast route 101 from San Francisco into Mexico. The Grand Canyon, Petrified and Redwood Forests, Napa and Sonoma Valley, Lake Tahoe etc.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Some outstanding original and era defining works of fiction emanating from a back drop of counter culture, racial unrest, rapid social change.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Here's a question related to the 4th of July that's long puzzled me. Why do Americans do their dates as M/D/Y (e.g. 9/11) but then refer to their most important date in their calendar as the 4th of July?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I was about to answer then realise that it would be like asking what you like about Europeans - I know septics from many different states, they're have very different outlooks on the world. Those from the mid west and the deep south have little in common with your average New Yorker. If I was to generalise, I like their openess and honesty (which disappears in their business lives).

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Some outstanding original and era defining works of fiction emanating from a back drop of counter culture, racial unrest, rapid social change.

I'd only ever read 'Catcher In The Rye' by JD Salinger and hated it, thinking him seriously over-rated but after reading some of his short stories, I completely changed my mind. There's one titled "The Laughing Man" with this paragraph in it:

"Over on third base, Mary Hudson waved to me. I waved back. I couldn't have stopped myself, even if I'd wanted to. Her stickwork aside, she happened to be a girl who knew how to wave to somebody from third base."

That there is unadulterated genius.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thrash metal

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What we have now come to term craft beer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Here's a question related to the 4th of July that's long puzzled me. Why do Americans do their dates as M/D/Y (e.g. 9/11) but then refer to their most important date in their calendar as the 4th of July?

well spotted!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In no particular order:

1. The way in which their professional sports are organised so that their leagues remain competitive and even the "smaller" teams have a chance if they luck out in the Player Draft.
2. The value they place on good customer service.
3. American Jewish humour - Larry David, Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Groucho Marx - all legends.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Their normal openness friendly demeanour and things being a bit more casual.
The wide open spaces and natural wonders.
Lots of coffee
TV cop shows, from Kojak to Hill Street Blues to the present ones

Dislikes:
Their governments of the last 20 years or so.
Fox News, Country Music and a few minor gripes.....

NB. My dad (WW2 veteran ) hated the fact that they claimed to have won the war for us. He was positive that the British Tommy had to look after the Yanks.
I dunno.... that was before my time....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Surfing Music, Dylan, West Coast bands like Jefferson Airplane, American singer/songwriters, Poco, Nashville and it's Honky Tonks. Country Rock. I am always very impressed with how tight and together nearly all American bands are live too. You could often be listening to the album at a concert.

I guess quite a bit of TV and Theatre and authors too

Oh and burgers and hot dogs too!!

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
NB. My dad (WW2 veteran ) hated the fact that they claimed to have won the war for us. He was positive that the British Tommy had to look after the Yanks.
I dunno.... that was before my time....

I think a lot of truth in them having been critical in the Pacific and Asia but I reckon the Russians were the key factor in Europe. The US involvement shortened the war considerably but then so did Alan Turing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here