Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was the scariest moment of your life?

Seagull85

Apr 21, 2009
On patrol in Afghanistan in 2009 we had to cross a field to get to the safety of a compound, right in the middle of the field a machine gun opened up on us and churned up mud all around me, sprinting for cover we only just made it with nobody getting hit. we were so lucky it could have been a lot worse.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
About 14 years ago I was flying to Paris with my wife for a delayed honeymoon, I wasn't a great flyer at the time and got very nervous on take off. In this particular time I also had a number of personal issues I was dealing with. Anyway, during take-off everything got the better of me and I had a massive panic attack, I felt like I couldn't breathe, my muscles locked and I couldn't move, I was convinced I was going to die. I somehow managed to finally get the attention of a stewardess who came to help. They eventually calmed me down and I managed to 'relax' for the rest of the flight.....but I knew I had to get back on a plane to get home again.

BA were brilliant on the return flight, they sat me at the rear of the plane with a stewardess who talked me through take off and made sure I was OK. I walked off the plane at Gatwick and swore to my wife I would never get back on a plane again.

14 years on the company I was working for went into administration and I was made redundant. One of the jobs I applied for required me to travel abroad for work, and offered to help me tackle my fear of flying. I recently attended some psychology/hypnotherapy sessions, and this weekend I flew to Edinburgh and back with no problems and after getting over initial nerves, was the best flight I have ever had.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
About 14 years ago I was flying to Paris with my wife for a delayed honeymoon, I wasn't a great flyer at the time and got very nervous on take off. In this particular time I also had a number of personal issues I was dealing with. Anyway, during take-off everything got the better of me and I had a massive panic attack, I felt like I couldn't breathe, my muscles locked and I couldn't move, I was convinced I was going to die. I somehow managed to finally get the attention of a stewardess who came to help. They eventually calmed me down and I managed to 'relax' for the rest of the flight.....but I knew I had to get back on a plane to get home again.

BA were brilliant on the return flight, they sat me at the rear of the plane with a stewardess who talked me through take off and made sure I was OK. I walked off the plane at Gatwick and swore to my wife I would never get back on a plane again.

14 years on the company I was working for went into administration and I was made redundant. One of the jobs I applied for required me to travel abroad for work, and offered to help me tackle my fear of flying. I recently attended some psychology/hypnotherapy sessions, and this weekend I flew to Edinburgh and back with no problems and after getting over initial nerves, was the best flight I have ever had.

no wonder you go to Bognor for your holibobs! :rave:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
The moment my 3 year old daughter nearly choked to death in my arms.

She choked at something she had eaten, and within seconds went blue so I hauled her out of her chair and tried to whack her back hard enough to dislodge whatever was in there - no joy.
I tried a mini Heimlich on her - no joy
I hit her again, nearly upside down - no joy
Even though I know it's not advisable, I carefully put my little finger in her mouth to sweep for anything - no joy

I held her in my arms as my wife (on the phone to 999) and eldest were screaming, and I also just screamed my wife's name... and then my baby went limp and lifeless, and nearly fell out of my arms..
I started crying, but had enough presence of mind to hit her back again - still no joy, so I though 'screw it' - in with my forefinger, and managed this time to dislodge a huge piece of chicken.
I held her up and she gasped a huge breath and burst into tears. I screamed at her to "say something..." - and she simply said "Daddy!"

At which point I collapsed with total and utter relief and felt like I'd never have any energy again.

The ambulance said "all's well them - just take her to hospital to get checked out" (the hospital staff were livid with that!), and the hospital staff actually initially gave me a bollocking for using my finger, but soon after congratulated me for saving her life.

Me and my wife cried for days at the thought of what might have happened...Truly the scariest moment of my life and I hope no-one ever has to go through it.

One of the most moving things I have ever read on here (or anywhere). Found it painful to read and am so pleased it turned out fine. Well done.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Probably,getting on a Hercules at Brize Norton for a flight to Oman,via Cyprus,when one had gone into the Irish Sea the week before with metal fatigue of the wing root.We drove past the rejects where weights on the wings had given them brewers droop.Then,subsequently,having two engine failures and return to Brize,I certainly didn't expect to see another 40-odd years!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Well done. I get some valium from my doctor when I fly.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Managed to collapse during my first attempted half-marathon a few years ago, on about the 10 mile mark. Still not entirely sure how long I was unconscious for, but when I came around I was being attended to by St. John's paramedics and was very disorientated & nauseous, not in a good way at all. Also had loads of thoughts running through my head on what exactly had happened and what it meant (did I have some sort of previously undetected heart condition etc).

Turns out it was something called hyponatremia (took on too much water, not enough sodium) which is actually fairly common and had no real consequences other than making me way more aware of what liquids to take on pre and mid-race. Nonetheless, still fairly frightening at the time. For someone whose life has been fortunately devoid of any major drama, anyway..

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Wow, I was welling up reading that. Thank (Insert god of choice) that you had the presence of mind to do what you did. That’s some Superdad stuff right there.

As a parent myself, that has me welling up. It absolutely terrifies me. So glad it all ended well

Right, so that's me eating my lunch with tears in my eyes, so glad it all turned out for the best and well done you!

One of the most moving things I have ever read on here (or anywhere). Found it painful to read and am so pleased it turned out fine. Well done.

Thanks all for your kind comments. It doesn't feel heroic, as the fear factor of the event petrifies me even to this day... I'm just thankful she came through, and I try to remember this when she gives me cause to tell her off!

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
On patrol in Afghanistan in 2009 we had to cross a field to get to the safety of a compound, right in the middle of the field a machine gun opened up on us and churned up mud all around me, sprinting for cover we only just made it with nobody getting hit. we were so lucky it could have been a lot worse.

Thank you for your service.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I was stopped at a traffic light in São Paulo when a guy pointed a gun through the passenger window. I was stuck in traffic so couldn't get away. He made me open the door and he jumped in. He made me drive north out of the city under gunpoint where he told me he needed to buy some crack.
After about four hours I was running out of petrol and it was dark so he made me pull into the gas station. After I filled up he made me park in the car park. He then told me he was going to shoot me as I was a foreigner and that would make things difficult for him. By this time I couldn't give a monkeys and accepted the inevitable. However he took the car keys and saw that I had a São Paulo football club key ring, his team apparently. Because of that he said I could get out of the car and walk towards the gas station. As it was dark I put my arms above my head and decided to dive behind a car. No shots, and I managed to escape as he drove my car away.
End of part one......

Terrifying but sounds like you played it pretty well. Well done. A cracking story, you should write it up in full.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I was in a nasty car crash on the way to an Oasis gig. Big lorry didn't check before changing lanes and hit our car. We ended up playing pinball with a few other cars back and forth across the M25 before coming to a stop up the grass verge.

Had my dad and my girlfriend at the time in the car, there was smoke and we all had to bash our doors open. The smoke ended up being from the airbags deploying. The one on my side saved my life for certain.

Six cars were totalled in the end. One of them was carrying a family with two babies in the back. Luckily nobody died. I ended up with a scar on my leg. All because an idiot lorry driver didn't check his mirror. My dad had to restrain me from marching up the hard shoulder, leg wound and all, to kick his f**king throat in.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I was in a nasty car crash on the way to an Oasis gig. Big lorry didn't check before changing lanes and hit our car. We ended up playing pinball with a few other cars back and forth across the M25 before coming to a stop up the grass verge.

Had my dad and my girlfriend at the time in the car, there was smoke and we all had to bash our doors open. The smoke ended up being from the airbags deploying. The one on my side saved my life for certain.

Six cars were totalled in the end. One of them was carrying a family with two babies in the back. Luckily nobody died. I ended up with a scar on my leg. All because an idiot lorry driver didn't check his mirror. My dad had to restrain me from marching up the hard shoulder, leg wound and all, to kick his f**king throat in.

Prey tell what Oasis concert was that?

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Total brake failure driving down the mountain road in southern Spain. Had to pull hard on the hand brake slam the car into the rock face just before the road turned sharp left and I would have taken off.!
It was my father in laws old Volvo and I have always hired new cars on holiday since that day.
Lorry driver stopped and whisked us down the mountain. That was just as scary.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Seeing my daughter involved in a high speed bike crash, fly over the handlebars and land on her face and just lay still. The seconds it took to get me to her, seemed like hours and my brain was frozen with fear of what might be wrong. As it turned out not much, a couple of busted teeth, hole through bottom lip, and total smashed up crash helmet that saved her life.

That was much more scary then when I got knocked of my bike this year after a motor bike drove in to the side of me.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Compared to the stories people have shared absolutely nothing.

I am either very risk adverse or lucky

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I was outside the Palace Pier when out of nowhere, Peter Andre just popped up.

I must've been completely frozen for at least 3 minutes. Once I managed to get some control over myself, I decided to be brave an approach him and ask for his autograph.

Scariest thing I'd ever done. Luckily it all went smoothly and he signed me an autograph.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here