Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fat children - what should partents do?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Although it looks like I stole the title from channel 5 (well, it would probably read quarter ton boy), it's actually a serious question.

Yes, parents could do better and offer decent quality food at all times, but some kids have a crazy appetite and always want more and, well, parenting isn't easy.

And with young children who should just be enjoying life without a care in the world, you don't want them to become body conscious and worry about what they look like.

So at what age should parents say to their child 'cut down on your porkkife mate, get some exercise'?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Never, leads to eating disorders, but shutting down KFC, McDeath, Burger King et al would be a start, or at least have a sniper positioned outside, picking off any families who look like they might be going inside.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Is this a partent?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It's tough but a sensible balanced diet is a good start and exercise. If you get them involved young at things like swimming, walking and enjoying the outside instead of allowing them to sit in front of an X box all weekend is also a start. Obviously some kids will naturally be bigger than others, but I'm sure the kid will thank you it longer term, as at the end of the day no kids wants to be the 16st kid at 13 years old that is bullied.
Don't think there is a set age or time to do it though.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Fat people should be wedged up chimneys and starved until they lose enough weight to drop out again.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Forget about it and keep handing round the biscuits?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Start by letting them walk to school,that's the reason there's so many fat ***** around,they get a lift everywhere,at this rate every ****er will have diabetes by the middle of the century .
Also lazy parents need to learn to cook again,wholesome meals instead of stuffing takeaway down their necks,****ing slobs.
Problem with weight and unhealthy diet is what's crippled the NHS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the cause of the problem is on the food intake side, portion sizes and copious snacking. in my experience kids are naturally active, even if they play some xbox/tablet they'll be off doing somthing else in half an hour. most the time you want them to sit down for some peace rather than charging around.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
A lot of kids now simply don't do enough exercise and this means that they are not building up their core strength for later life, when they will naturally be more sedantary. All this means a lot more health problems at a younger age. Too much flat footwear is also a problem, as it doesn't give the feet enough support. Diet is not necessarily the problem. Its lack of exercise. Kids are simply not burning the calories.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I just went to the cinema and prior to going in, I bought a drink, as you do. In front of me in the queue was a guy with two young kids, maybe 4-6 years old. They each had a bag of sweets for the trip. The bags combined cost him £12.

Make of that what you will.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
We have two boys and if they were allowed they would eat sugar and fat containing food at every opportunity. We are very careful to expose them to as much healthy food as possible as early in life as possible. They love some veg but hate others so it's not alway easy but it's all about balanced diets. Treats are available occasionally after a main meals but only then unless it's a special occasion. Your body can process sugar better after a main meal.

Exercise is also key. My boys, 3 and 6 walk for miles at a time with us and the dog. Also get them out on their bikes, trampoline, playing football, badminton and tennis when ever possible. We do not have computer games although they do have a kindle each that they get to play when the weather is crappie or on long car journeys.

When ever they go on play dates or kids come here it becomes aparent that not all parents are like this. My boy came back from the his pals a few weeks ago as high as a kite on slushpuppies, popping candy and bubble gum. I have seen kids being sent to school with bottles of energy sports drinks as young as 6. It's mental how uneducated some folk are about what is and isn't good for you.

I think educating the parents and the kids is key to changing this. Refined sugar is an evil addictive drug and It should go the way of tobacco in my opinion.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
A lot of kids now simply don't do enough exercise and this means that they are not building up their core strength for later life, when they will naturally be more sedantary. All this means a lot more health problems at a younger age. Too much flat footwear is also a problem, as it doesn't give the feet enough support. Diet is not necessarily the problem. Its lack of exercise. Kids are simply not burning the calories.

The reality is that diet is almost always the problem. Getting fat is simply eating more than you're burning off. If they don't do the exercise, they should be eating less, and what they should be eating should be proper food, with a minimum amount of sugar and processed foods in their diet. It really is as simple as that.

And ultimately, it's the parents that feed them, so kids being fat is on their parents (99% of the time - there are some kids with genuine medical conditions that can't control their weight as a result).

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
We have two boys and if they were allowed they would eat sugar and fat containing food at every opportunity. We are very careful to expose them to as much healthy food as possible as early in life as possible. They love some veg but hate others so it's not alway easy but it's all about balanced diets. Treats are available occasionally after a main meals but only then unless it's a special occasion. Your body can process sugar better after a main meal.

Exercise is also key. My boys, 3 and 6 walk for miles at a time with us and the dog. Also get them out on their bikes, trampoline, playing football, badminton and tennis when ever possible. We do not have computer games although they do have a kindle each that they get to play when the weather is crappie or on long car journeys.

When ever they go on play dates or kids come here it becomes aparent that we not all parents are like this. My boy came back from the his pals a few weeks ago as high as a kite on slushpuppies, popping candy and bubble gum. I have seen kids being sent to school with bottles of energy sports drinks as young as 6. It's mental how uneducated some folk are about what is and isn't good for you.

I think educating the parents and the kids is key to changing this. Refined sugar is an evil addictive drug and It should go the way of tobacco in my opinion.

Talking of educating, you should encourage your kids to have some fatty foods. Just make sure they're the right ones.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
It's not easy feeding kids. The little f#$kers will be fussy if you let them. Get them out and active and it's amazing how many more healthy foods they will eat when they have worked up an apatite. Stop letting them snack all the bloody time. I cook healthy meals and some time's they won't eat them but just keep at it. Amazing how stuff my boys refused to eat first time I cooked it they wolf down now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here