Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fat children - what should partents do?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Could well be a definition thing, looked at an old picture of when in the Army the other week and the one guy we called fat, didn't look it at all. Where as today, people have to be very fat or indeed obese for them to be termed fat, it also depends on where your wife teaches.

Slimming World ................

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One of the issues is food at school. When I was at school, we had hot lunches or a salad plus a pudding... and water was the only drink.

That's gone out of the window now. These days, we load my son's account with money and he spends on what he wants - which is invariably crisps, sweets and fizzy drink. We give our kids healthy food at home but we have no control at school. We tell him to buy healthy food but what 11-year old is going to choose salad over cake?

It's not inevitable as my daughter's school offers healthy lunches so it's a conscious decision of the school to provide junk. But it's already having an effect on his waistline undoing everything we do at home.

One of the issues is food at school. When I was at school, we had hot lunches or a salad plus a pudding... and water was the only drink.

I went to Falmer in 1981 and those eligible for free school meals (98% of us!) were given a voucher for 45p, with that you could have "meal of the day" this was usually something nutritional served with 3 veg and a dessert or 3 portions of chips at 15p a pop served on the same plate. No one gave a toss. In the end meal of the day was as popular as Becks Blue

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Fast fo od and both parents working might have something to do with it. When I was a lad my mum use to cook from scratch so everything was fresh and not processed. The other big thing was you used to have to make your own entertainment, mobile phones, laptops, sky etc etc were not an issue so us kids were always outside playing footy,cricket or riding our bikes. These days they are glued to there phones or Nintendo

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I used to eat a lot of chocolate, but now I can't bear anything sweet and only eat dark chocolate. Sugar is addictive. I broke the habit drinking hot water with slices of lemon.

This may well work but it is definitely bad for your teeth, the hot water and lemon that is..

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Start by letting them walk to school,that's the reason there's so many fat ***** around,they get a lift everywhere,at this rate every ****er will have diabetes by the middle of the century .
Also lazy parents need to learn to cook again,wholesome meals instead of stuffing takeaway down their necks,****ing slobs.
Problem with weight and unhealthy diet is what's crippled the NHS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thought that was too many people living into their 90s...

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Don't get me started on nut allergies, last few flights banned as one person had an allergy. They should ask these questions when booking a flight so then nut allergy people can all fly together and not inconvenience everyone else.

This happened to me recently and I literally had just opened a bag of peanut m&m's! I understand if the person has a very serious allergic issue with peanut but sounds like this is getting a bit too common..

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The food manufacturers need to take some of the blame. Yogurts have been advertised as being healthy & good for you. A Fruit Corner is 400 calories. Low fat yogurts are worse because more sugar is added to compensate for the lack of a creamy taste.

400 kcal in a fruit corner, more like 100-150, either that or some jumbo sized version

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
400 kcal in a fruit corner, more like 100-150, either that or some jumbo sized version

No, it's 400. It's been measured. It may have been reduced in the last couple of years due to pressure from the Health bodies, but it was.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
My niece lost weight when a girl at school called her a "horrible fat ginger minger" after losing weight she modelled for top agency Models 1.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Start by letting them walk to school,that's the reason there's so many fat ***** around,they get a lift everywhere,at this rate every ****er will have diabetes by the middle of the century .
Also lazy parents need to learn to cook again,wholesome meals instead of stuffing takeaway down their necks,****ing slobs.
Problem with weight and unhealthy diet is what's crippled the NHS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Obesity is one of the biggest problems with this country, alongside alcohol and smoking. My girlfriend's a nurse and she's seen kids that huge for their age, but doctors have often struggled to explain to parents that the child's weight is largely why little Timothy's suffering from all kinds of problems. Weight and diet has a significant impact on the immune system and has a cascading effect.

Having been a student for the past 3.5years, living off around 3-4k a year, I haven't struggled to make nutritious meals. It may mean more time cooking due to prepping and making your own sauces, but it is not difficult.

The issue is education, but the barrier to education is blind ignorance or blaming someone else. Lauren often said, parents refuse to take responsibility of their child's health and will blame their local GPs or something other poor excuse.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
We have two boys and if they were allowed they would eat sugar and fat containing food at every opportunity. We are very careful to expose them to as much healthy food as possible as early in life as possible. They love some veg but hate others so it's not alway easy but it's all about balanced diets. Treats are available occasionally after a main meals but only then unless it's a special occasion. Your body can process sugar better after a main meal.

Exercise is also key. My boys, 3 and 6 walk for miles at a time with us and the dog. Also get them out on their bikes, trampoline, playing football, badminton and tennis when ever possible. We do not have computer games although they do have a kindle each that they get to play when the weather is crappie or on long car journeys.

When ever they go on play dates or kids come here it becomes aparent that not all parents are like this. My boy came back from the his pals a few weeks ago as high as a kite on slushpuppies, popping candy and bubble gum. I have seen kids being sent to school with bottles of energy sports drinks as young as 6. It's mental how uneducated some folk are about what is and isn't good for you.

I think educating the parents and the kids is key to changing this. Refined sugar is an evil addictive drug and It should go the way of tobacco in my opinion.

You are forcing this on your children.. think to yourself when they are old enough to be making their own decisions they are going to be rushing to buy the treats they get a limited amount of.

Why not allow them to know where the sweets are kept in the house, and educate them of how much is appropriate, that way there is less chance of overweight/obesity when they are older.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I was a fat kid.... not through sweetshops ,and McD and others had not then come to our shores. I did have a mother (God bless her) who was a good cook and loved serving up desserts..., Mmmm I can still remember the heaven of her apple pie...

In those days nutrition was not understood as it is today. Thankfully the weight fell off in my late teens.
My lesson? Educate parents and have a mum who is too busy to do home cooking

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
You are forcing this on your children.. think to yourself when they are old enough to be making their own decisions they are going to be rushing to buy the treats they get a limited amount of.

Why not allow them to know where the sweets are kept in the house, and educate them of how much is appropriate, that way there is less chance of overweight/obesity when they are older.

Because sugar has a chemical effect on the brain that makes it as addictive, if not more so than smoking. That's like giving a kid a pack of 20, telling them where the next stash is, giving them a lighter and then saying "you probably shouldn't do this, it's bad for you". Kids do things to rebel. The very nature of "educating" children is then defeated because you've got them hooked by your own actions.

Basically, say no and give your kids fulfilling meals so they don't have the urge to eat the sweet stuff. It's that simple really.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The food manufacturers need to take some of the blame. Yogurts have been advertised as being healthy & good for you. A Fruit Corner is 400 calories. Low fat yogurts are worse because more sugar is added to compensate for the lack of a creamy taste.

No, it's 400. It's been measured. It may have been reduced in the last couple of years due to pressure from the Health bodies, but it was.

This intrigued me so I looked:-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/ca...yogurt-with-strawberry-fruit-corner-427829485

Calories 114
Sodium 100 mg
Total Fat 4 g
Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 2 g
Total Carbs 15 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Monounsaturated 0 g
Sugars 15 g
Trans 0 g
Protein 4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 25%
Vitamin C 0%
Iron 0%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here