Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fat children - what should partents do?

larus

I've always had a lot of interest in health/nutrition, and have the view that the body is like storage container. Calories in vs calories out. If there is an imbalance, then this leads to either the container stretching or shrinking.

So IMO, it involves 2 things. One, as a parent you can't really change and this is the level of activity a child wants to do. Some kids you can't stop running around, others just hate getting how, sweaty and out of breath. So, assuming we can't drastically change that (unless you hit upon an exercise they really take to), then you are left with the second options which is calories in.

My view on this is that being a good parent means that we sometimes have to do things which the child doesn't like, but it's in the interest of the child. Anyone can feed their child crisps, biscuits, McDonalds, etc. and keep them happy. However, a good parent will get their child to eat a balanced diet with lots of natural, unprocessed foods. Of course, this doesn't mean they can't have treats, but it should be balanced towards healthy. IMO, when you leave the fresh produce/meat/fish section of the supermarket, everything else is processed food. Too much food has additives, flavour enhancers etc and no/little nutritional value. The western diet is shit, and I feel as though the quality of food has diminished drastically over the last 50 years. So much disease is diet related and as pointed out above, a big drain on the NHS is too many fat f*ckers who expect to go to the doctor and get pills to cure their problems. No, that's not the issue: get off your fat lardy arse and sort your own shit out. you'll feel better physically and mentally too.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Avoid ready meals. I will not let them I the house. A Tin of soup is normally the closest to a ready meal we have and I'm very fussy abut that.

Why do folk ever buy jars of pasta sauce? How difficult is it to make a basic tomato sauce? The amount of Sugar in them is unbelievable. Pesto is another one, it's so simple and it always tasted 100 times better.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's not easy feeding kids. The little f#$kers will be fussy if you let them. Get them out and active and it's amazing how many more healthy foods they will eat when they have worked up an apatite. Stop letting them snack all the bloody time. I cook healthy meals and some time's they won't eat them but just keep at it. Amazing how stuff my boys refused to eat first time I cooked it they wolf down now!

I guess I'm lucky because I found it easy feeding my kids. The only rule I had was that if we were eating out at a restaurant or pub then they'd order from the adult menu and never from the kid's menu. When they were much younger it did mean that a lot of food got left but rather that than them eating turkey twizzlers and chips.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I guess I'm lucky because I found it easy feeding my kids. The only rule I had was that if we were eating out at a restaurant or pub then they'd order from the adult menu and never from the kid's menu. When they were much younger it did mean that a lot of food got left but rather that than them eating turkey twizzlers and chips.

Can I have sone recipe tip's please!

You are right about ten kids menus. I have taken my boys to macdonalds on occasion just and on the whole there not that fussed. As a treat these places are OK.

I struggle with eating crap food and and currently trying to cut sugar out of my diet and it's so hard. Giving up smoking and drinking was easier!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Compulsory Diet and Nutrition education.
More PE at school.
More exercise out of school.
Proper diet with less carbs and much less sugar.

A daily kids meal shouldn't be: Toast with jam, sandwich, crisps and chocolate, pasta and sugar filled dessert.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

You are right about ten kids menus. I have taken my boys to macdonalds on occasion just and on the whole there not that fussed. As a treat these places are OK.

I struggle with eating crap food and and currently trying to cut sugar out of my diet and it's so hard. Giving up smoking and drinking was easier!

Sorry but I've no secret tips! Just made sure that they ate what we ate and that we tried from an early age to introduce them to as wide a range as possible. Getting them to eat sushi for instance was relatively easy because of the novelty of how places like Yo Sushi are laid out. Kids love all the conveyor belts of food.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Proper diet with less carbs and much less sugar.

A daily kids meal shouldn't be: Toast with jam, sandwich, crisps and chocolate, pasta and sugar filled dessert.

You're right, but when you've got educated adults eating things like Belvita breakfast bars or Nature Valley 'health' bars, both of which contain more shit and sugar than your average chocolate bar what hope is there? The amount of people in my office that still crack open a can of Coke or similar as well...

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Sorry but I've no secret tips! Just made sure that they ate what we ate and that we tried from an early age to introduce them to as wide a range as possible. Getting them to eat sushi for instance was relatively easy because of the novelty of how places like Yo Sushi are laid out. Kids love all the conveyor belts of food.

Yep. They love sushi, both went to Moshi Moshi when quite small. They both like squid and mussels. We are lucky to have a great fish shop in Littlehampton. Kids love going in there and choosing fish. The guys in there show them live lobsters and tell them lots about the different fish. Both love mackerel, especially when we catch it!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I think it is difficult to commenting on other people's kids. It's easy to sit in judgement if your child is a perfect size and fit. My daughter who is now 15 has been cycle racing since she was six and before that she use to ride out with us. She has always loved it, as much for the social side as the sport. My pride is not that she may be come the next Laura Kenny, but that I will plop her in to adulthood a fit woman with a love for sport and a knowledge of nutrition.

But I think we were lucky to have found something she genuinely enjoys, and had the income to be able support her. Not every sport is so expensive though and fitness can be free, you have to find something they enjoy and try to be good role models. Utill they get older having a dedicated child in a sport requires an equally dedicated parent carting them around almost every weekend, to some event or other.

The only thing I can think of is that if a child does not like exercise, you just don't buy junk food. When they are little if it's not in the house they can't eat it and small portions. Does not seem difficult, but I who knows I am not in that position.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Too many parents would rather spend their evening watching some absolute bollocks on the tele instead of cooking a healthy meal for their family.. Apparently watching Xfactor is more important than their children's health and well being..

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Leave fat kids alone, they've got enough on their plates already.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Start saying no...?

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Too many parents would rather spend their evening watching some absolute bollocks on the tele instead of cooking a healthy meal for their family.. Apparently watching Xfactor is more important than their children's health and well being..

In fairness it is possible to cook using natural ingredients, create a healthy meal and then watch total bollocks on the telly. I do this most evenings

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Walk to school ? Our two did 2 miles there and two miles back. Soon got road sense.

I used to see the bus coming then run to the next stop to beat it! Walked home spent the money on sweets, right across HH then out on the bike till late or playing football till dark. Mum fed me sugar on bread and ovaltine mixed with sugar, still manged to outexercise that lot.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

I used to eat a lot of chocolate, but now I can't bear anything sweet and only eat dark chocolate. Sugar is addictive. I broke the habit drinking hot water with slices of lemon.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I used to see the bus coming then run to the next stop to beat it! Walked home spent the money on sweets, right across HH then out on the bike till late or playing football till dark. Mum fed me sugar on bread and ovaltine mixed with sugar, still manged to outexercise that lot.

Bang-on.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I've always had a lot of interest in health/nutrition, and have the view that the body is like storage container. Calories in vs calories out. If there is an imbalance, then this leads to either the container stretching or shrinking.

So IMO, it involves 2 things. One, as a parent you can't really change and this is the level of activity a child wants to do. Some kids you can't stop running around, others just hate getting how, sweaty and out of breath. So, assuming we can't drastically change that (unless you hit upon an exercise they really take to), then you are left with the second options which is calories in.

My view on this is that being a good parent means that we sometimes have to do things which the child doesn't like, but it's in the interest of the child. Anyone can feed their child crisps, biscuits, McDonalds, etc. and keep them happy. However, a good parent will get their child to eat a balanced diet with lots of natural, unprocessed foods. Of course, this doesn't mean they can't have treats, but it should be balanced towards healthy. IMO, when you leave the fresh produce/meat/fish section of the supermarket, everything else is processed food. Too much food has additives, flavour enhancers etc and no/little nutritional value. The western diet is shit, and I feel as though the quality of food has diminished drastically over the last 50 years. So much disease is diet related and as pointed out above, a big drain on the NHS is too many fat f*ckers who expect to go to the doctor and get pills to cure their problems. No, that's not the issue: get off your fat lardy arse and sort your own shit out. you'll feel better physically and mentally too.

When our two were little a trip to the greengrocer (not supermarket) was a learning curve for them in as much as 'Peter we need Four Banana;s'.'We need three carrots' you get my drift counting and recognition. Make your kids feel as if they are helping you and they will want to know more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here