Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Setting off shop alarms

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That's because they've already watched you on cctv, so they know if you've lifted something.
I wouldn't believe that my Mrs works in a well know store no one ever in the cctv room and they let the security guard go due to cut backs, basically a free for all if your that way inclined.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Both Tesco and the Co-Op have alarm systems that are hyper-sensitive to Bruno impersonators!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Because I have several joint replacements I always set the alarms off at airports & Eurostar security checkpoints etc. As a result I often get treated like a potential terrorist.
That can be quite annoying.

its your big bushy beard and your constant reference to jihaad that got you stopped going to Brugge....... so don't lie.
And anywear it created a diversion for R to get the gear through.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Bring back those little bells attached to the door that used to ring as you opened the door, Arkwrights etc

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Where do you live/shop if the cheese and mince have tags on?:eek:

:lolol: I think it's a standard thing these days throughout all tescos. It's just one of those little security sticker things. This is at the Tesco Express in Goring.. So I've taken to always selecting "yes" to a receipt just in case I get collared

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
:lolol: I think it's a standard thing these days throughout all tescos. It's just one of those little security sticker things. This is at the Tesco Express in Goring.. So I've taken to always selecting "yes" to a receipt just in case I get collared

Expensive wine, spirits, and Gillette razor blades I understand, but cheese, really?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Whenever I set the alarm off leaving the shop, I'm so conscious of looking guilty, so I generally amble slowly away instead of quickly!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

On that note I'm surprised by some stores asking if I want a receipt. The Co-op store at Southwick Square and the Lottery/tobacco counter at Tesco Holmbush spring to mind as they're the two main stores I do my main food shopping in. Not only is it proof of purchase but also a means of checking whether one has been overcharged. On quite a few occasions after checking the receipt I've had to pick them up on it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Does anyone actually stop now when they go off? I just walk straight out and ignore it. Seems to be such a regular occurrence that it makes it irrelevant.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Where do you live/shop if the cheese and mince have tags on?:eek:

To Bozza, are you sure that there not any bar code style paper tags hidden in your clothing? These can be self adhesive and very difficult to find if stuck to the outside of a pocket lining on the inside of a jacket for instance.

Not that I'm aware as it seems to happen regardless of what I'm wearing. It's so inconsistent too - sometimes if goes off when I enter a shop but not when I leave.

Does anyone actually stop now when they go off? I just walk straight out and ignore it. Seems to be such a regular occurrence that it makes it irrelevant.

No, I don't. I don't tend to set off the alarm at the big Tesco in Durrington but my partner always does. No one ever comes to check, and there are things in that shop that people would try to nick, unlike the Express stores where it must be pretty limited.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If you are one of those people who never bother turning the Wi-Fi off on their phones, that can do it I think.

Turn WiFi off .... why? I never do, should I, I'm worried now!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No, I don't. I don't tend to set off the alarm at the big Tesco in Durrington but my partner always does. No one ever comes to check, and there are things in that shop that people would try to nick, unlike the Express stores where it must be pretty limited.

Might be worth trying to see what you can walk out with just for the sake of this thread. I reckon you could walk out with a flatscreen telly and they wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Not that I'm aware as it seems to happen regardless of what I'm wearing. It's so inconsistent too - sometimes if goes off when I enter a shop but not when I leave.

In you missed the important bits amongst the nonsense in this thread... 😉

It will be your cards being stacked together setting them off

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
In you missed the important bits amongst the nonsense in this thread... ��

It will be your cards being stacked together setting them off

Yes, that.

Or the packet of Gillette Mach 3 Turbo Blades he's stuffed down his pants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here