Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Equal rights for old English people! (Non Londoners)

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
A few days ago I turned 60. Obviously now my slow slide towards decrepitude and death will accelerate considerably, and I was rather hoping to get some freebies to take my mind off it. With that in mind I thought I'd try and get a free bus pass, and I discovered the following iniquitous inequality. In Scotland: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In Wales: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In Northern Ireland: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In London: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In Brighton .... you've got to wait until you're sixty ****ing six!

Where's the justice in that? How long are we English OAPs going to be treated as second-class UK citizens? Why does Brighton hate old people?

I'm off to man the barricades just as soon as I've been to the lavatory. If someone could bring me some cheese sandwiches and a nice flask of tea that would be great.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
We have Dutch friends who spend most of their time in this country touring the canals on their narrow boat. For personal admin reasons they have registered an address at the marina where their boat is based. Using that address they have been given OAP bus passes.

O U T R A G E O U S.

Free Amsterdam tram passes for Brits is my demand.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If everyone voted jeremy, then everyone would get free everything!

Barber out!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
67 when my state pension is allowed and paid in so far 36 years, that will be a minimum 10 years after I retire so just as well my current pension can allow an adjustment for this.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
67 when my state pension is allowed and paid in so far 36 years, that will be a minimum 10 years after I retire so just as well my current pension can allow an adjustment for this.

I have the same problem.....my state pension kicks in at 66 and my wife's at 67 but she is 3 years younger, so I will be at least 70 before her state kicks in.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have the same problem.....my state pension kicks in at 66 and my wife's at 67 but she is 3 years younger, so I will be at least 70 before her state kicks in.

The good news is we can have an adjusted option where you have more up to when the state pensions kicks in, then it is reduced to take account of it.

Only found this out a year or so ago when I started looking at it all, was going swimmingly well till Mini declared he was doing a 4th year at Uni to get a masters :down:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Yep, only a few more months of being 59 myself. Already resigned myself to a long wait for my bus pass (and my state pension). My wife already has hers, so it would keep another car off the roads. Financially, I manage, so can't complain.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

To be fair, assuming you are a male, you would have got your state pension at 65 so not so relevant that you chose to retire at 57!
However, with regard to the OP, it does seem unfair that there isn't a uniform policy instead of a postcode lottery.

A few days ago I turned 60. Obviously now my slow slide towards decrepitude and death will accelerate considerably, and I was rather hoping to get some freebies to take my mind off it. With that in mind I thought I'd try and get a free bus pass, and I discovered the following iniquitous inequality. In Scotland: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In Wales: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In Northern Ireland: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In London: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In Brighton .... you've got to wait until you're sixty ****ing six!

Where's the justice in that? How long are we English OAPs going to be treated as second-class UK citizens? Why does Brighton hate old people?

I'm off to man the barricades just as soon as I've been to the lavatory. If someone could bring me some cheese sandwiches and a nice flask of tea that would be great.

You live in Brighton, so talk to the fecking Greens. They want you to cycle everywhere, not ride on a gas guzzling bus. No bus pass for you!

So what can you expect to gain? Cheaper season ticket price, cinema entry and all sorts of other entertainment and public places would presumably be your main entitlement. Or does that also only happen at 66?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
You live in Brighton, so talk to the fecking Greens. They want you to cycle everywhere, not ride on a gas guzzling bus. No bus pass for you!

So what can you expect to gain? Cheaper season ticket price, cinema entry and all sorts of other entertainment and public places would presumably be your main entitlement. Or does that also only happen at 66?

But it is not just Brighton though is it, every area in England except Greater London do not qualify until your state pension age kicks in, the bus pass qualifying age was extended to all other English citizens as a austerity measure except for the Capital, the three other "states" Wales, Scotland & N.I. Voted through the measure to retain the bus pass to over sixties. I am 62 my mate is 66 he has had the bus pass available to him since he reached sixty I have to wait until I am sixty six, this is also the case for winter fuel award and cold weather payments, Austerity measure again. Still we're getting our country back!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

send Maggie May a box of white dog sh*t

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have a bus pass but can't use it in Scotland. Bloody jocks!
I think you'll find you can't use it in Wales or NI either (assuming yours is an English bus pass).

I was lucky enough to qualify for my bus pass and OAP before they started messing about with the ages for eligibility (just!) - but I do have a great deal of sympathy for those a few years younger than me, for whom the goalposts keep being moved farther away. It's no help for youth unemployment either, when older people have to hang on to the jobs longer because they cannot afford to retire until they can get their pension.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
To stand on my own two feet? You should try it sometime! :lol:

How's life in Australia wellquick? Good to see you're still keeping close tabs on how the old country is doing politically and financially, shame we're not going to benefit from your tax take in the future, these austerity measures could have been averted.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
How's life in Australia wellquick? Good to see you're still keeping close tabs on how the old country is doing politically and financially, shame we're not going to benefit from your tax take in the future, these austerity measures could have been averted.

I only come here for the irony now :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here