Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memories of Being a Kid - #Nostalgia Alert

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I'm sure we all think back to when we were kids without a care in the world when your whole world was your oyster in a world of innocence.

Just some of my memories:

*Making go-karts from pram wheels; scaffold boards; and rope and a large nut and bolt for the steering system and taking it to Victoria Park for downhill fun.

*Exploring building sites such as the DHSS building in Boundary Rd - I later briefly worked there. The new builds in Gladys Road.

*Working as a golf caddy and getting up early to queue as a ten year old outside the green corrugated iron building at West Hove golf course.

*Walking to the Devils Dyke with mates and a frying pan sausages and beans and making a meal in the old derelict building there.

*Playing down in the Shoreham Harbour with a homemade raft etc. Trod on a piece of wood with nails sticking out upwards which went though my footwear and foot.

Great days growing up and pleased to say wouldn't change for the world.

Did you know the groundsman at West Hove golf course?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Runaround....

The only game show in the world where you had the possibility of winning a.....

Cabbage :eek:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 396

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Cricket in the street, mate smashing window of the flats opposite.
Taking Panda Pops and crisps over to Waterhall golf course Selling 'lost' golf balls back to players to fund more supplies.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
White dog sh1t.

Dogs eating a high mineral raw food diet will produce poo that turns a much lighter color within 24 hours and disintegrates very quickly. Dogs eating raw foods that could be too high in calcium or bone pass white, chalky feces, and may suffer from obstipation. 14 July 2015

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Going to watch the Albion as an 8 and 9 year old back in the 1960s. Nothing strange about that you might think, but myself and my other friends went on our own (on the train from Lancing) without any adult supervision - with our parents' blessing.. And do you know what? None of us were abducted by paedophiles, or fell onto the tracks, or got lost. If in today's ultra-paranoid world a group of 8 year olds turned up at the Amex unaccompanied there would be a complete meltdown. Losing custody of the kids would just be the start of it.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Going to watch the Albion as an 8 and 9 year old back in the 1960s. Nothing strange about that you might think, but myself and my other friends went on our own (on the train from Lancing) without any adult supervision - with our parents' blessing.. And do you know what? None of us were abducted by paedophiles, or fell onto the tracks, or got lost. If in today's ultra-paranoid world a group of 8 year olds turned up at the Amex unaccompanied there would be a complete meltdown. Losing custody of the kids would just be the start of it.

According to other posts on here you had your collection of nude magazines which surely led your generation into depravity and the reason today's parents watch over their children so closely. You know what your children are capable of because you did "it" as a child.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The roller skate with a book is a great memory. I can recall using my sisters' annuals and launching myself from the garages in Florence Avenue down to Hallyburton Road but negotiating the corner,.

I had a fabulous pair of roller skates which were brilliant for book racing. They had metal wheels and no tyres, so kicked up sparks when taking corners on paving slabs. The other option was taking my scooter over Withdean Park and sitting on the footplate to race and skid down the muddy tracks.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
According to other posts on here you had your collection of nude magazines which surely led your generation into depravity and the reason today's parents watch over their children so closely. You know what your children are capable of because you did "it" as a child.
Eh? I never had a collection of nude magazines and I've never posted on here that I did.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Playing football in St Anne's Wells gardens.
Summer tennis coaching from Harry Deadman at Hove Park and Preston Park.
Pitch & putt at Rodean and Rottingdean.
Endless hours watching cricket at the County Ground and collecting autographs.
Watching every game at the Goldstone.
Cubs at Raleigh Hall.
Bob-a-job week.
My dad.

Remember an ongoing battle to not get caught by the park keeper at St Anne's wells - do they still have a "Parkie" there these days?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Getting chased by Parkies who were made about their lawns and didn't like BMX skid marks on them! Preston park had a fiery one back in the day!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Saturdays with your mates (while still at junior school)

Walk from Mile Oak to Portland road Hove for ABC Minors (picking up obligatory stink-bombs on way)
Walk back home for a sandwich (didn't know what 'lunch' was back then)
Walk from Mile Oak to the Goldstone for the Albion
Walk back home for DInner
Take Neighbour's greyhound out for 'walk' (trying to catch Rabbits over the downs, with extremely occasional success !)
Home for Bed

Don't know how we fitted it all in (and nobody worried about the children of Mile Oak) :)

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Probably did at the time but it was in the early 60s so no great recollection of names or faces.

Was it someone you knew?

no, I never met him, but he was my friend's grandfather and he lived in one of the cottages by the golf course.

I grew up on the edge of a forest, have great memories of playing there. We always had an assortment of bugs, beetles, frogs, toads and huge spiders in the house. Our back garden was full of slow worms and lizards and occasional hedgehog. I recently had a mad rant at someone because they told me they kill spiders. I don't like killing anything, stupid I know (I'm not even a veggie). When I was about 8 we went to Glasgow to visit cousins. I was shocked to discover they lived in a horrid black tenement block with no garden.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here