Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memories of Being a Kid - #Nostalgia Alert

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Roy of the Rovers and Shoot! on a Saturday morning.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Conkering
Scrumping
Climbing Trees
Ginger Knock
Camps
Wheelies on my bike
Giving a mate a 'bunk' on my bike.
Playing on building sites
Bonfire night, penny for the guy, fireworks
Christmas Eve, tangerines, dates, turkish delaight and unbreakable walnuts.
Pinball machines
FA Cup Final day, yes FA Cup final day ..................

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bob a job week! Who in their right mind allowed little kids to go round on their own knocking on strangers' doors offering their services for what is now 5p?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Bob a job week! Who in their right mind allowed little kids to go round on their own knocking on strangers' doors offering their services for what is now 5p?

Because back in the 1960s when I was in the Cubs a 'bob' (shilling) was worth something, at least a couple of quid in today's money.. Also that was my point from earlier about going to the Albion without adult supervision as an 8 year old - everybody in their 'right mind' allowed it, indeed I don't know anyone whose parents wouldn't let them do it. It's only in today's paranoid society that it's now seen as 'bad parenting'.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Because back in the 1960s when I was in the Cubs a 'bob' (shilling) was worth something, at least a couple of quid in today's money.. Also that was my point from earlier about going to the Albion without adult supervision as an 8 year old - everybody in their 'right mind' allowed it, indeed I don't know anyone whose parents wouldn't let them do it. It's only in today's paranoid society that it's now seen as 'bad parenting'.
Agreed. I do remember a few of us getting tucked up by some unscrupulous individuals who had their entire gardens cleared for a shilling!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Because back in the 1960s when I was in the Cubs a 'bob' (shilling) was worth something, at least a couple of quid in today's money..

5p in 1965 would be worth 86p now

Bob a job would be well under minimum wage

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
sudden memory of a chocolate bar my dad used to buy me, it was like actual chocolates (as in box of) but a bar .... can't remember what it was and I know it sounds made up ...

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
sudden memory of a chocolate bar my dad used to buy me, it was like actual chocolates (as in box of) but a bar .... can't remember what it was and I know it sounds made up ...[/QUOTE

Milk tray bar.

Who went to Shiverers at King Alfred?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Playing up against the wall at school and winning loads of money
Playing marbles at school and never winning one of those giant metal ones ( can't remember what they were called )
Finding a teacher prepared to put the radio on Monday lunchtime so we could listen to the FA Cup draw
Watching wrestling with my Grandad on a Saturday afternoon on ITV - once rudely interrupted by the SAS
Sorting my Grandad's metal cigarette cards of pub signs
Fishfingers always being my choice for my birthday dinner
Those books of photos your were given at school to sell for charity - was it called smile week ?
Football scores coming in at full time on the telex printer

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Riding my Striker or Grifter to Stoneham Park & getting skinned knees from playing football with a plastic ball and two trees for goal posts.

Hubba Bubba

Goldstone with my dad's friends in the West Terrace.

Getting the 49 to the King Alfred and going down the water slides.

When the King Alfred had a Major Pool and Minor Pool.

Getting extra portions at Curry Mahal because the owner's son was the only Asian kid in the year & he was in our class.

When The Eagle relaunched as a photo comic.

Kays Catalogue- women's underwear section

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Playing marbles at school and never winning one of those giant metal ones ( can't remember what they were called )
Finding a teacher prepared to put the radio on Monday lunchtime so we could listen to the FA Cup draw
Watching wrestling with my Grandad on a Saturday afternoon on ITV - once rudely interrupted by the SAS
Those books of photos your were given at school to sell for charity - was it called smile week ?

A ball bearing?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Still in the marbles field, we had a silly rule regarding 'tipsies' where only the edge of the opponent's alley was hit. This resulted in 'bombsies' where you had to drop your marble from standing and hopefully land on the other to win it. Goes without saying, ball bearings often caused total destruction of the inferior glass rival.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
5p in 1965 would be worth 86p now

Bob a job would be well under minimum wage

In fairness most used to give more than a bob though, it was a slogan more than a fixed rate.. In my experience you'd get a few old ladies scrabbling around in their handbags for a few thruppenny bits, but others would pay more - although there were exceptions as dejavubtn has pointed out!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Milk tray bar.

Who went to Shiverers at King Alfred?

Nope. Dolphins at St. Mary's Hall.

Sunny Smiles.

sunnyplussmiles-jpg.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here