Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memories of Being a Kid - #Nostalgia Alert

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I'm sure we all think back to when we were kids without a care in the world when your whole world was your oyster in a world of innocence.

Just some of my memories:

*Making go-karts from pram wheels; scaffold boards; and rope and a large nut and bolt for the steering system and taking it to Victoria Park for downhill fun.

*Exploring building sites such as the DHSS building in Boundary Rd - I later briefly worked there. The new builds in Gladys Road.

*Working as a golf caddy and getting up early to queue as a ten year old outside the green corrugated iron building at West Hove golf course.

*Walking to the Devils Dyke with mates and a frying pan sausages and beans and making a meal in the old derelict building there.

*Playing down in the Shoreham Harbour with a homemade raft etc. Trod on a piece of wood with nails sticking out upwards which went though my footwear and foot.

Great days growing up and pleased to say wouldn't change for the world.

Jul 7, 2003
Just seen your avatar. Good album from the 80's although Big Game was probably better. Saw them at Wembley Arena supporting Motley Crue many years ago.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Just seen your avatar. Good album from the 80's although Big Game was probably better. Saw them at Wembley Arena supporting Motley Crue many years ago.

Unfortunately never saw them live - great band - Motley Crue were as well - plus Tygers of Pan Tang; Yesterday and Today (went to a gig in San Francisco) Twisted Sister etc. during that time.

PS sure I've left out some.

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
In the playground at school, tennis ball, about 30 a side, everyone was Hoddle, Keegan or Dalglish. Though personally, I delighted in whacking the ball and yelling "CASE".

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Disappearing for several hours without the Police being called.

Climbing trees taller than houses

Riding a motorbike aged 11 (and crashing in a hedge)

Playing wars with catapults, toy guns (firing little plastic bullets).

Aniseed balls that left your mouth numb for hours.

Sherbert Dib Dabs that gave you a bigger kick than a line of coke (allegedly).

Playing with firework bangers that would now be classed as WMD.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Fishing at the same pond everyday in the holidays.
Woolworths fishing rod, Mitchell reel, line, float, weights, size 14 gold hooks.
Bait was worms, maggots, bread and paste made from flour and water.
All day in the sun catching tiny Perch and Roach, if a Tench or Crucian Carp came up it made your day even if it was tiny.
Never got bored.
I later found out that the pond always had huge Carp, Roach, Tench and Pike in it and today it's a very private fishery.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Night fishing on Shoreham East arm drinking Brown Ale with my Scottish Bessie who was a serious fisherman. (Later my bro-in-law).

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
unless you were a serious athlete no-one went out running/jogging around the streets (pre 1978)

you never had to look for a parking space in the road where you lived, in fact the space outside your house was "yours"

my mum used to sweep the gutter and pavement outside our house every week and put the dirt in our bin (that was only half full when it was collected at the end of the week)

sunday mornings was when my dad put his overalls on and fiddled with his car

a roast dinner at 1pm every sunday for all the family before watching the Big Match

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I always remember being out playing with my mates on a Sunday morning but always coming home for Sunday dinner at 1 PM and as I neared the back gate I could smell the roast dinner ! Now either my sense of smell is not so good or roast dinners have lost their potential to smell of anything ?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Night fishing on Shoreham East arm drinking Brown Ale with my Scottish Bessie who was a serious fisherman. (Later my bro-in-law).

Yes.
First night fishing at above pond.
Taking everything down with your mates.
Sleeping bags, little gas cooker, frying pan, eggs and bacon and a Tilley Lamp.
Caught nothing just great fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here