Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 104th Tour de France thread

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess it's genuinely part of a "don't know when they are beaten" mindset.

A few years ago I was sitting on an exercise bike at the Gym watching the highlights of the previous day's tour, feeling smug and thinking I could identify with them, then noticed the distance they were cycling on that day - 180kms - and they showed the graphics of the climbs within that. My smugness disappeared. I have more respect for them than any other sportsmen, except the cheats..... and I don't know enough to know whether that is still a problem.
Careful now, your teeing me up for my annual cycling is the ultimate egalitarian professional sport post.

I can actually here the others eyes rolling back in their heads. :lol:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Careful now, your teeing me up for my annual cycling is the ultimate egalitarian professional sport post.

To borrow a phrase from Orwell

"All cyclists are created equally, though some are more equal then others."

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

After this exchange, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Cycling is the ultimate egalitarian professional sport. I just wish I could articulate my thoughts about it better........

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After this exchange, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Cycling is the ultimate egalitarian professional sport. I just wish I could articulate my thoughts about it better........
Stop it.

A lynch mob of oddly shaped lycra clad vigilantes will be roaming Southampton looking for the instigator of such a heinous crime.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Stage 5 Review

Vittel to La Planche de Belles Filles, 160.5km

Result:

1 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 3:44:06
2 Daniel Martin (Irl) Quick-Step Floors 0:00:16
3 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:20
4 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team
5 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:24
6 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica-Scott 0:00:26
7 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Cannondale-Drapac
8 Alberto Contador (Spa) Trek-Segafredo
9 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:00:34
10 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:40

General Classification:

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 18:38:59
2 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:12
3 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:14
4 Daniel Martin (Irl) Quick-Step Floors 0:00:25
5 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:39
6 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica-Scott 0:00:43
7 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:47
8 Alberto Contador (Spa) Trek-Segafredo 0:00:52
9 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:00:54
10 Rafal Majka (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe 0:01:01

I have binned off my GC classification because the real one is the same now.

A proper break went away at the start, featuring some really strong riders; Jan Bakelants (AG2R La Mondiale), Mickael Delage (FDJ), Edvald Boasson Hagen (Dimension Data), Dylan van Baarle (Cannondale-Drapac), Pierre-Luc Perichon (Fortuneo-Oscaro), Philippe Gilbert (Quick-Step Floors) and Thomas De Gendt (Lotto Soudal). BMC then decided to spend 150km on the front of the pack wasting their energy, or putting the hurt on others, depending on whether you are a rational human being, or Richie Porte. The break was brought back at or near the foot of the climb. Michal Kwiatkowski rode a brutal pace for a large amount of the climb, killing loads of other riders, including much of his own team. Once he dropped off Sky did not really manage to lead the peloton much further. The Aru attacked, all the other big GC guys ignored him, and he got away to the win. Behind there was all sorts of carnage, with Dan Martin sprinting fopr second ahead of Froome with the last bonus seconds and Porte in 4th.

Good Day:
Michal Kwiatkowski, that was seriously impressive. I would love to count back how many riders were dropped during his stint at the front. Must be getting close to 100!
Simon Yates, looked strong. Probably should not have attacked when he did and held tight for the last 300m but he moves in to white.
Rigoberto Uran, nothing spectacular but it has been a while since Uran made it this close to the front on a major GC day in the mountains.

Bad Day:
BMC, that is a lot of work to lose time on your main rival. Incomprehensible tactics, imo.
Quintana and Contador, top 10 at best for these boys this year I think.
Thibaut Pinot, 100% confirmation that he is not going for GC, maybe he is saving his legs for a spectacular mountain raid in the Alps.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Stage 6 Preview

Visoul to Troyes, 216km

Route
CARTE.jpg

PROFIL.png

Last 5km
PROFILKMS.png

Yawn! Sprinters stage, nothing much to say about it.

Expect:
Rubbish break with wild card team riders. Sprint finish. Tune in for the last ten minutes, or maybe not even that. Watch the cricket or tennis instead :wink:

Bets:
Again no value. Kittel is odds on, Demare 5-2. Bouhanni e/w at 11-1 is maybe the best out there. Think we could see Kittel win by a street.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Vittel to La Planche de Belles Filles, 160.5km

Result:

1 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 3:44:06
2 Daniel Martin (Irl) Quick-Step Floors 0:00:16
3 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:20
4 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team
5 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:24
6 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica-Scott 0:00:26
7 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Cannondale-Drapac
8 Alberto Contador (Spa) Trek-Segafredo
9 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:00:34
10 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:40

General Classification:

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 18:38:59
2 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:12
3 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:14
4 Daniel Martin (Irl) Quick-Step Floors 0:00:25
5 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:39
6 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica-Scott 0:00:43
7 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:47
8 Alberto Contador (Spa) Trek-Segafredo 0:00:52
9 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:00:54
10 Rafal Majka (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe 0:01:01

I have binned off my GC classification because the real one is the same now.

A proper break went away at the start, featuring some really strong riders; Jan Bakelants (AG2R La Mondiale), Mickael Delage (FDJ), Edvald Boasson Hagen (Dimension Data), Dylan van Baarle (Cannondale-Drapac), Pierre-Luc Perichon (Fortuneo-Oscaro), Philippe Gilbert (Quick-Step Floors) and Thomas De Gendt (Lotto Soudal). BMC then decided to spend 150km on the front of the pack wasting their energy, or putting the hurt on others, depending on whether you are a rational human being, or Richie Porte. The break was brought back at or near the foot of the climb. Michal Kwiatkowski rode a brutal pace for a large amount of the climb, killing loads of other riders, including much of his own team. Once he dropped off Sky did not really manage to lead the peloton much further. The Aru attacked, all the other big GC guys ignored him, and he got away to the win. Behind there was all sorts of carnage, with Dan Martin sprinting fopr second ahead of Froome with the last bonus seconds and Porte in 4th.

Good Day:
Michal Kwiatkowski, that was seriously impressive. I would love to count back how many riders were dropped during his stint at the front. Must be getting close to 100!
Simon Yates, looked strong. Probably should not have attacked when he did and held tight for the last 300m but he moves in to white.
Rigoberto Uran, nothing spectacular but it has been a while since Uran made it this close to the front on a major GC day in the mountains.

Bad Day:
BMC, that is a lot of work to lose time on your main rival. Incomprehensible tactics, imo.
Quintana and Contador, top 10 at best for these boys this year I think.
Thibaut Pinot, 100% confirmation that he is not going for GC, maybe he is saving his legs for a spectacular mountain raid in the Alps.

There is an alternative explanation/theory for what BMC done yesterday, other than the Porte still thinks he's Froome's super Dom explanation :lol:

By making it a hard day they had as much influence on the Sky train disintegrating so early as Kwia did. They are trying a template of not letting Sky control the pace all day and then let them run the full Sky train up the climbs. Might just work you know, but probably not in Porte's favour. Yesterday can only be a bad day for BMC whichever way they slice it though as really Porte should have been winning that stage yesterday and taking a bit of time on Froome. Anything else was a failure really at this stage in proceedings.

I'm not sure I'd put Pinot down as a bad day. Said before the stage that he'd do nothing here, despite him being a local to the area, and is saving himself for later on. Having had a good Giro I think a stage win and possibly KoM jersey will be a good Tour for him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sagan coming back!

You mean this isn't the most exciting thing to happen today:-

[tweet]882957740276101120[/tweet]

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Tour is just going past our campsite now. Had to make a detour earlier to get here [emoji35].

Sod riding a bike in this temperature, it's currently 34 degrees.

a8c64f8d3cbf75e5c7f0e3b013e9ccd7.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tour is just going past our campsite now. Had to make a detour earlier to get here [emoji35].

Sod riding a bike in this temperature, it's currently 34 degrees.
A proper fan would have been wearing a mankini, had a stuffed wild boar under his arm, while waving this flag:-

large.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn't actually go and watch it! I was swimming in the lake instead. It's just started raining which should cool them down a bit.

It looks a lovely part of France, as usual.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] is watching today. He is outside a Mairie where there is a big screen, with beers in the sun.

Wonder if they've flashed past him yet.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here